Home buying thread

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
jesus fuck just came from south of nashville house hunting.

i'm looking at over half a million dollar homes and the lawns are attrocious

like i go "this lawn is disgusting also(after seeing the 5th house in a row with a horrible lawn)

my wife "what? i think the white lawn looks pretty"

me "thats all fucking weeds!!!, every white flower is a weed"

like fucking sprinklers... theyre not new fuck

You can't look in Franklin and expect affordable housing. That's such a high end market it's ridiculous. Drive by all the ranches and 1,000 acre "hobby" farms. It's crazy there. You'd find more affordable stuff north and east.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You can't look in Franklin and expect affordable housing. That's such a high end market it's ridiculous. Drive by all the ranches and 1,000 acre "hobby" farms. It's crazy there. You'd find more affordable stuff north and east.
yea i know the price premium to live in franklin is about 25% over springhill, but actually driving there, traffic is horrible and we have to be based near franklin and living east away from i65 and driving local is out of the option, and we don't want to go further north than brentwood which is even more posh than franklin.

i wasn't looking at affordable, i was just looking at, "wtf, take care of your lawn"

only when we looked at 500+ to 600k houses did the lawns start to look nice.

i don't really care if it's a good or horrible lawn, i'd make it better w/ what i've learned, it's just to me indicative of how well a house is kept, bad lawn = bad house. (and as i was walking through it shows)

one except i found and bidding on is a single owner house, and it's an empty nester couple, i think the dude just got tired of mowing and they wanna move to a condo, thats cool w/ me, it's actually what i really want an older home (it's literally stuck in the 90s, zero reno done since they bought it, but kept nice-ish), but single owner is super appealing.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bruh I'm looking at half a million homes in Houston and just feeling lucky if that shit HAS a yard!

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a website for commercial timber. I get THOUSANDS of homeowners asking to come cut their 5 yard trees and they’ll give me the wood for free. Lolwtf?

I want to reply to all of them with, “LOL! YOU ARE SO STUPID!” I don’t. I just ignore them for the stupid people they are and automate my replies to tell them no.

So, if you’re serious don’t do that shit to a developer.

What if i offered you 15 old growth pines in the way of my current ideal footprint on some new land i wanted to develop.

• 1Double Worf

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
What if i offered you 15 old growth pines in the way of my current ideal footprint on some new land i wanted to develop.

Oh my god! Dude. That's a freakin gold mine. You can't just go offering 15 old growth pines away to anyone!

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Had our offer accepted on a (seemingly) great house the other day and then on inspection turned out one end of the house is 4 inches lower than the other end and it needed $45k worth of foundation work. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thing was built in like 2013 too so not even that old!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I don't know if that was sarcasm. It's high desert pine too. Each is about 30-50 feet.

Oh.

Well, then no, I don't want to hunt down a log trucker who's not working, an insured tree surgeon, and a small do-it-yourself sawmill.

[edit] But here's a pro-tip. My dad used two huge old-growth pines to line the walls in my parents basement and they look awesome. He paid to have them cut down. He paid to have them sawn up. He paid to have them installed. The only thing he didn't pay for was having the wood kiln dried since he air dried them.

• 1Worf

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Had our offer accepted on a (seemingly) great house the other day and then on inspection turned out one end of the house is 4 inches lower than the other end and it needed $45k worth of foundation work. Oh well, back to the drawing board. Thing was built in like 2013 too so not even that old!

How does it work where you are? Is the inspection out of your pocket?

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I think it was $300-500. Money well spent though.

It's such bullshit that the buyer has to pay for that.

I would love it if there was a law that penalized anyone who tries to sell a home for each point they didn't put on a disclosure. So they have to get a real and detailed inspection.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oh.

Well, then no, I don't want to hunt down a log trucker who's not working, an insured tree surgeon, and a small do-it-yourself sawmill.

[edit] But here's a pro-tip. My dad used two huge old-growth pines to line the walls in my parents basement and they look awesome. He paid to have them cut down. He paid to have them sawn up. He paid to have them installed. The only thing he didn't pay for was having the wood kiln dried since he air dried them.

No idea how much each tree is even worth at this point.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
No idea how much each tree is even worth at this point.

It's not worth the labor it will take to get equipment to the site, cut it down, haul it off, and cut it up. I thought my initial post about hating people that ask for us to cut down 10 yard trees covered this.

• 1EyeRoll

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Bruh I'm looking at half a million homes in Houston and just feeling lucky if that shit HAS a yard!
youre looking in fucking houston tho, those fucking hippies would annex your lawn and plant kale and quinoia for the homeless, it's better not to have a lawn

• 1Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Went and saw this $350k / 3,000sqft yesterday that from the outside was great and promising from a few pictures. Man this place was terrible. I’d have considered it at $250k and used $100k to gut the inside. Had a lot of potential and I’d say they’re crazy asking $350k but in this market they’ll get it.

Zero options Saturday. That one house yesterday (which my realtor was out of town so has to contact the buyer’s realtor myself). Zero today. Sheesh!

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Fuck moving.

Just going to gut my house instead. $1mm for the upgrade i want in my area. just insane. And i would lose my .5 acre back yard. down to a 0.19 lot.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
lost the bid on the one owner house, listed for 500, we put our max escalation at 550 our realtor, who knows the area said is high and we should get it, but it even went past that, he says its getting crazy the rate that my area is running out of inventory. he's a good smoozer it seems, our backup bid house he's been talking to the owner directly and getting "good vibes". i'm not as thrilled about this house as our first choice, but we want to live in the area and it's a cul de sac ish road, and the backyard leads into a nice pond that doesn't feel "swampy".

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My mother in law sold her townhouse this weekend. 120 groups of people came through Saturday and Sunday for the open house. She had 19 offers and sold it for 45k over asking, all cash, no contingency, buyers waived both the inspection and the appraisal.

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Picard
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My mother in law sold her townhouse this weekend. 120 groups of people came through Saturday and Sunday for the open house. She had 19 offers and sold it for 45k over asking, all cash, no contingency, buyers waived both the inspection and the appraisal.
theres one nice looking house thats going for 530k and been on the market for 17days, (when all houses are gone in a day or 2) which sounds odd to me and i asked my realtor and he said that, they moved fast, but they still failed the inspection and now no realtor will let their buyers buy that house.

thats why everything in my area is now cash no contingencies

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well, it seemed like the realtor smoozing worked, our low 500k offer got accepted over 2 other higher offers. no idea why anyone would care who actually buys the house but if i get it cheaper and it's the house i want, sure.

btw, tennessee ppl, is a storm shelter sought after in tn? theres an 8person storm safe room in the garage

• 1Like