Home buying thread

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
well, it seemed like the realtor smoozing worked, our low 500k offer got accepted over 2 other higher offers. no idea why anyone would care who actually buys the house but if i get it cheaper and it's the house i want, sure.

btw, tennessee ppl, is a storm shelter sought after in tn? theres an 8person storm safe room in the garage
Hopefully you didn't buy in Spring Hill lol. We looked there for a couple days but saw how bad the traffic to Franklin was during rush hour, good fucking God. Tornados occasionally come through and ruin shit in TN, but not often. It's certainly not a detriment. After having a finished basement though I'd have a hard time ever moving somewhere without one.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Sounds like it could double as a sweet-ass man cave.
the storm shelter takes up a garage space and saying it's 8 person is generous it's like the size of a washroom, i was thinking of getting rid of it and wondering if it adds to the value of the home.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hopefully you didn't buy in Spring Hill lol. We looked there for a couple days but saw how bad the traffic to Franklin was during rush hour, good fucking God. Tornados occasionally come through and ruin shit in TN, but not often. It's certainly not a detriment. After having a finished basement though I'd have a hard time ever moving somewhere without one.
nope, springhill was absolutely garbage for travel, especially west on that on fucking columbia pike. what kind of po-dunk town had a residential highway merge into one lane!!!

thats why we paid the premium for franklin, it's where we wanted to be and it's closer (north wise) to nashville/brentwood

yea true, i'm gonna miss my basement, and i think i'll have to put my gym on the second floor.

hopefully i can just have the movers at least move the treadmill up the stairs and i'll figure out which room i want, but holy shit that nordic track was heavy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
well, it seemed like the realtor smoozing worked, our low 500k offer got accepted over 2 other higher offers. no idea why anyone would care who actually buys the house but if i get it cheaper and it's the house i want, sure.

the two higher offers never existed

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
inspection came back pretty detailed,

he's shitting on the crawl space, minor standing water, lots of humitidy problems, he's gonna recommend i talk to a crawl space guy and basically at least replace the shitty vapor barrier that was installed 30years ago and to enclose the space, luckily so far he didn't see any signs of mold under there.

so i went on youtube and a few hours later i guess this is called encapsulation.

it involves sealing off the vents, door foamboarding the walls putting in a dehumidifier and i might need a sump pump since there was a bit of standing water. (he did the inspection when it rained)

imo i could probably do this over a couple of weekends, materials would be 2k (the dehumidifier alone is over 1k), add another 500 for the sump pump basin and stuff. (heck i just installed a backup battery sump pump, so i'm pretty okish with that)
what i'm not gonna touch is the electical panel, i guess this brand (and all the houses in this area and age range since they all used the same panel, 30years ago) is a fire hazard, so the rough estimate for that is 6k, also alot of frayed wires underneath the crawl space, maybe rats

what pisses me off is that this is a two owner house (i looked at the property search) and this guy just bought it 4 years ago, hell it was the same time i bought this house.

he shoulda gotta an inspection and fixed some of these issues or something

any of you in TN, have to deal with horrible crawl spaces?

Fucker

Log Wizard
inspection came back pretty detailed,

he's shitting on the crawl space, minor standing water, lots of humitidy problems, he's gonna recommend i talk to a crawl space guy and basically at least replace the shitty vapor barrier that was installed 30years ago and to enclose the space, luckily so far he didn't see any signs of mold under there.

so i went on youtube and a few hours later i guess this is called encapsulation.

it involves sealing off the vents, door foamboarding the walls putting in a dehumidifier and i might need a sump pump since there was a bit of standing water. (he did the inspection when it rained)

imo i could probably do this over a couple of weekends, materials would be 2k (the dehumidifier alone is over 1k), add another 500 for the sump pump basin and stuff. (heck i just installed a backup battery sump pump, so i'm pretty okish with that)
what i'm not gonna touch is the electical panel, i guess this brand (and all the houses in this area and age range since they all used the same panel, 30years ago) is a fire hazard, so the rough estimate for that is 6k, also alot of frayed wires underneath the crawl space, maybe rats

what pisses me off is that this is a two owner house (i looked at the property search) and this guy just bought it 4 years ago, hell it was the same time i bought this house.

he shoulda gotta an inspection and fixed some of these issues or something

any of you in TN, have to deal with horrible crawl spaces?
Not in TN, not in lower crawlspace, but upper area has about 50lbs of feathers and Dove shit to clear out BEFORE the HVAC lines can be looked at.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
travelers is quoting me 3k to insure the house in tn, some no name company that the title company works with is quoting 2k.

wth?

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
lost the bid on the one owner house, listed for 500, we put our max escalation at 550 our realtor, who knows the area said is high and we should get it, but it even went past that, he says its getting crazy the rate that my area is running out of inventory. he's a good smoozer it seems, our backup bid house he's been talking to the owner directly and getting "good vibes". i'm not as thrilled about this house as our first choice, but we want to live in the area and it's a cul de sac ish road, and the backyard leads into a nice pond that doesn't feel "swampy".
Ponds look swampy in intervals. The shit builds up, a dude in a boat sprays the shit, it dies and retreats, think it happens a few times each summer depending on climate. Can’t treat the stuff until it builds up to a certain amount.

Anyways, I think the only person your realtor is smoozing is you. I have seen instances of a family taking a lower offer. My brother in law is very active at his church and in a small community. Their first house, the owner’s religious family all got together and prayed about who the new owner should be and decided his new family who is also deeply religious deserves the house more than other people offering more money and cash. They let God be their realtor. When he sold the house they also prayed and decided who got the house. Tennessee is still red so maybe that’s happening in your situation but I imagine it being in Nashville and you being a fucking heathen it’s more likely your realtor is lying to you. They all tell you that you’re beating out other offers to make you feel like it’s urgent and you’re winning.

Our house we built had the most dishonest sales guy I’ve ever met. It was so bad I told him he was full of shit. “These lots are going fast!”...”No they aren’t, we’ve been looking for weeks and every single one is still open.”...”Well I mean the other additions I’m in charge of, I can’t keep up, they keep promoting me I’m selling so many!”...whatever liar. I still reference that guy to my wife when someone is full of shit...Craig.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Back right before the 2008 economic meltdown my parents sold their house. Agent came with an offer and my parents accepted. Then they backed out and lost their deposit right at the end. They sold it to someone that bought it for someone in their family post Katrina and she wrote a check and they went to the back and it cashed. They started looking back through the first agents paperwork. She was their "agent" but also listed as the person that Ok'd their amount for the loan. That was a shitshow of a time, real estate agent acting as loan agent/officer and such. Surprised that shit hasn't started back again with the way housing is headed.

The woman that paid cash lived not far away and had a shop I had seen behind their house. Her check had a dildo on it and apparently her and her husband made sex toys. Good work I guess lol.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Back right before the 2008 economic meltdown my parents sold their house. Agent came with an offer and my parents accepted. Then they backed out and lost their deposit right at the end. They sold it to someone that bought it for someone in their family post Katrina and she wrote a check and they went to the back and it cashed. They started looking back through the first agents paperwork. She was their "agent" but also listed as the person that Ok'd their amount for the loan. That was a shitshow of a time, real estate agent acting as loan agent/officer and such. Surprised that shit hasn't started back again with the way housing is headed.

The woman that paid cash lived not far away and had a shop I had seen behind their house. Her check had a dildo on it and apparently her and her husband made sex toys. Good work I guess lol.
Your childhood home is now being used to manufacture 12 inch black dongs. Have you ever heard of the 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon? You are now 1 degree from Foler.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
To make getting through the pricing process with the builder a little easier I had made a floor plan for wife and I to work with but have decided to go ahead and make a full 3d model of the house using sketchup. Never used the program before so will probably take me a few hundred hours to get the whole house done at the level of detail that I want.
Capture.JPG

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I learned SketchUp via wood projects and really like the simplicity of it for what I was trying to do. This was/is just the free 2013 or whatever version is out there. Nifty little program. Would like to eventually transition to something more powerful but I’m not doing 3d printing or cnc stuff so haven’t been pressured.

Put another offer in. We had one in the works last weekend for a 4,000 sqft $375k but before we could submit someone else did an above ask that they accepted. We saw a 3,100 sqft yesterday for $335 that we are in on. They have showings today and our offer expires at 10. It is basically across the street from my old house so we already know the neighborhood, schools, traffic, everything. Hope to hear back this morning.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
is sketchup the easiest to learn and use? i actually did drafting in collect, had a big fucking t-square, but my wife is also an engineer so i don't want her to laugh at the drawings lulz.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I learned SketchUp via wood projects and really like the simplicity of it for what I was trying to do. This was/is just the free 2013 or whatever version is out there. Nifty little program. Would like to eventually transition to something more powerful but I’m not doing 3d printing or cnc stuff so haven’t been pressured.

Put another offer in. We had one in the works last weekend for a 4,000 sqft $375k but before we could submit someone else did an above ask that they accepted. We saw a 3,100 sqft yesterday for $335 that we are in on. They have showings today and our offer expires at 10. It is basically across the street from my old house so we already know the neighborhood, schools, traffic, everything. Hope to hear back this morning.
so youre just trying to get a bigger house then? when you say old house the one youre currently living in or like your growing up home?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
To make getting through the pricing process with the builder a little easier I had made a floor plan for wife and I to work with but have decided to go ahead and make a full 3d model of the house using sketchup. Never used the program before so will probably take me a few hundred hours to get the whole house done at the level of detail that I want.
View attachment 357360
dude i looked at so many houses last week, i could date the preferences of the builders by year (at least in tn)

like in the 80s they kitchens then a hallway that leads to the dining room, now the more modern homes you clearly see just an entire "open concept" kitchen + dining room.

back then it was just a rectangular strip for the bathroom, vanity, toilet on the side of the vanity (you can have your toilet paper dispenser hanging off the side of the vanity) and then a tub right next to the toilet.

now everything has it's own door, you walk into the bath room and then you have to open the door for the toilet, or open another door for the shower, likes thats a lot of fucking doors.

i still remember the newest "weirdest" concept was the garage door entry (the door that connects the garage to the home, i learned this is called a firewall door) opened into the laundry room which connected to the master bedroom

what kind of preferences are you sketchin up?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Is that garage door thing weird to you? Must be regional, but every place around here has an attached garage with a fireproof door as standard code. Opening up into a master bedroom is weird AF though... ours goes into our mudroom/laundry room and then into the kitchen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Is that garage door thing weird to you? Must be regional, but every place around here has an attached garage with a fireproof door as standard code. Opening up into a master bedroom is weird AF though... ours goes into our mudroom/laundry room and then into the kitchen.
no, i meant the garage door opening to the mb was weird, but the the garage door to home is fine (i'd just like it if it wasn't called a firewall

yea most of the houses i saw just leads into the kitchen, my current one does as well.

man i can't believe i'm gonna buy a house and have to rebuy shit again like fire extinquishers

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
so youre just trying to get a bigger house then? when you say old house the one youre currently living in or like your growing up home?

My previous house was 2,300ish and not well suited for a family. Just the layout and rooms. I loved it and as a bachelor it was great and plenty of space for me. So we wanted something with more room for kids and work from home office space.

They accepted though so here we go! Below ask and no counter offer also.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
is sketchup the easiest to learn and use? i actually did drafting in collect, had a big fucking t-square, but my wife is also an engineer so i don't want her to laugh at the drawings lulz.

SketchUp is easy to use but some of it wasn’t immediately straight forward. One of my favorite tutorials was from a guy whose woodworking channel I follow, Steve Ramsey, but there are a ton out there.