Home buying thread

fris

Vyemm Raider
Central Texas gets a good hail storm about once a year, but its only in small areas, maybe a few square miles.
20210415_163928.jpg

I had my insurance do a 2nd claim on my truck. Few small dents on my hood roof and few other parts. No intention of getting it fixed, but I'll take cash for the devaluation

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Parents got a new roof because of hail in MS. They had already decided to reroof the house because it was nearing the end of it's life span. One of those things that some people hold out for apparently. They didn't even remember the hail storm. Neighbors got their shingles replaced, another few did not. Guess it was luck of the draw on damage and the person the insurance sent out.
The hail storm that hit here cut cut neatly through the subdivision; only a few houses got trashed.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i forgot where i saw it, but a youtube roofer says that the guy that comes out (adjuster?) gets a commission on the assessment

that can't be right?

he says the hangs up happen when the adjuster talks with homebase(desk girls) and wrangles in the contractor for a horrible 3 way.

also most adjusters just pull out a Bandwagon Bandwagon and whip out a drone for a quick flyover and say "yup, this roof is fucked" check check check.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
I don't know about "most", but plenty are using drones nowadays
They are used for thst and can be used to accurately measure your roof for replacement.

www.eagleview.com

My company providers roofers almost real time hail maps and all sorts of other stuff for free just so they will order shingles from us.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
What a grift, a "non profit" selling people 600sqft shitboxes

Newtown CDC is an affordable housing non-profit. They purchased the land from the city of Tempe for just $30, which is why it can charge less. “Trying to find anything that is suitable to live in is pricing people out of the market, and then it is raising rents, so we have a lot of people we are trying to help get unstuck,” said Brewer.

Newtown CDC even helps families come up with a down payment. And when they want to sell the property back to the non-profit, they leave with 25% of the appreciation of the home. “So now a family is being able to sell their property, and leave with actual money instead of being upside down in it,” she said.

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What a grift, a "non profit" selling people 600sqft shitboxes

b/c of their "non profit" status they were able to buy 1acre of land for $30, designate it as a residence, so that it hooks up to city utilities/gas/water/sewer and sell 13 homes for 170k

wow, talk about evil.

also wtf

Affordable purchase price and low HOA and land-lease fees

land lease? you don't actually how that shitty piece of land? you only own the shitty house 600sq/ft house?

also this is supposed to be affordable housing and you still make ppl pay a HOA? a HOA for 1acre of land?, HOA is usually 5 karen board members, so the HOA will be made up of half the community? wtf is this.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
b/c of their "non profit" status they were able to buy 1acre of land for $30, designate it as a residence, so that it hooks up to city utilities/gas/water/sewer and sell 13 homes for 170k

wow, talk about evil.

also wtf

Affordable purchase price and low HOA and land-lease fees

land lease? you don't actually how that shitty piece of land? you only own the shitty house 600sq/ft house?

also this is supposed to be affordable housing and you still make ppl pay a HOA? a HOA for 1acre of land?, HOA is usually 5 karen board members, so the HOA will be made up of half the community? wtf is this.
They basically spun the idea of mobile home parks and are grifting the poors. Brilliant.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Women love the idea of those "tiny homes" for some reason. Probably just because they're cute. I bet for most of them the charm doesn't take long to wear off once you're living there.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Women love the idea of those "tiny homes" for some reason. Probably just because they're cute. I bet for most of them the charm doesn't take long to wear off once you're living there.
for just the two of us my wife wouldn't even entertain the idea of anything less than 2000sq/ft and 2 car garage

she still has flashbacks of our jersey apt

haha, this was literally our bathroom
584a5cba2f91426d1629ea35472e4ca9.png

you take one step in, and slide (you can't turn, b/c theres no room), so you slide to the left and theres the toilet and you sit down, and you had to spread your legs to sit down or your knees would hit the sliding glass door.

it was easier just to brush our teeth in the kitchen.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Granted our situation is different (moved across country, CA to FL), but we bought for $240k in 2015. About 2100 sqft. Our monthly mortgage was about $1200.

Sold for $315k in April, and cleared about $94k.

Had a heck of a time finding a place in FL, but eventually found a 1700 sqft house for $1900 a month. It rented for $1500 in 2018, and sold for $160k in 2014.

Market is fucking retarded.

We're looking for a place to buy soon (impossible to get a mortgage in early retirement). The same $240k we paid just 6 years ago gets us about 1200 sqft now.
Didn't really want to do it so soon, as the stress is starting to wear on us (lost our dog in January, quit my job in March, sold the house in April, moved across country), but we started the home search here in Florida.

Mentioned before we paid $240k in 2015 for 2100 sqft. We're looking at something in the 1100-1500 sqft range and it's going to be around the same price.

I'm hoping we can find a fixer upper for under $180k. I really just want something I can demolish and do my own floorplan, doing new electrical and plumbing likely as well.

Under a time crunch because I hate this new job. I had only assumed I'd last 6 months anyways, but taking 6 weeks off to move across the country was a really good sneak peak at retirement and I just don't have the motivation to work anymore. In doing research, pretty much no banks will give you a mortgage as an early retiree (they can't consider retirement assets as income, even if we'll be drawing from them). So essentially as soon as we close I quit my job forever. It's good motivation to find something, but also makes it extra stressful.

Edit: That picture above is a great example of why I want to tear shit down. Tons of places with 1200 sqft but they've utilized the space terribly. I'm looking at doing something like 100 sqft just for the master bathroom, meanwhile most of them are like 30. I don't need a bunch of wasted space for shit like extra bedrooms and dining rooms.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Didn't really want to do it so soon, as the stress is starting to wear on us (lost our dog in January, quit my job in March, sold the house in April, moved across country), but we started the home search here in Florida.

Mentioned before we paid $240k in 2015 for 2100 sqft. We're looking at something in the 1100-1500 sqft range and it's going to be around the same price.

I'm hoping we can find a fixer upper for under $180k. I really just want something I can demolish and do my own floorplan, doing new electrical and plumbing likely as well.

Under a time crunch because I hate this new job. I had only assumed I'd last 6 months anyways, but taking 6 weeks off to move across the country was a really good sneak peak at retirement and I just don't have the motivation to work anymore. In doing research, pretty much no banks will give you a mortgage as an early retiree (they can't consider retirement assets as income, even if we'll be drawing from them). So essentially as soon as we close I quit my job forever. It's good motivation to find something, but also makes it extra stressful.
Prices are pretty fucked, but you already know that. Depending on where in Florida can really swing the price. Also I cant stress enough to calculate in the cost of windstorm insurance. If you are new to Fl prepare to be disgusted by what you will pay for hurricane insurance unless you own the place outright without a mortgage.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
even with a mortgage in FL, teh insurance on the property is around 1 more month of the mortgage.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
As a man, I'm perfectly fine giving up physical space. There's plenty of space outdoors for me. I know I'd be just fine having a house even smaller than that. What I would not be fine with is having 10 screaming karen's that close.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Slight derail. Wife got invited by a client to see a house she bought on the north shore of Long Island. South Shore is new money (where I live), North Shore is old money. This place was built in the 1800's. Only two families have ever owned it.. Had 10 bedrooms / 12 bathrooms on 2 acres. Her client is planning to convert it to a bed & breakfast or perhaps a small boarding school. Please was really enormous, made all the more impressive that its this big on Long Island. This was one of those reality checks where I realize "yeah we do pretty good, but we are still playing in the minor leagues".

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I had that moment when we went to Newport, RI before I started OCS.

You go tour the mansions of the gilded age era. What isn't immediately obvious until you go there is that it's essentially a bunch of neighborhoods and you tour a house among a bunch of other mansions. You then walk a couple blocks until you get to the next one to tour.

And at some point as you're going from mansion to mansion, you notice a Toyota sitting outside of one and you're like...holy shit, people live in most of these still. The number of houses you can tour is dwarfed by the ones that are still occupied.

So you go see the house below, and there's one on each side of it almost as nice, but there's some fuck living there who inherited it and probably never had to work a day in their life.

newport-mansions-2-640x423.jpg

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

You go tour the mansions of the gilded age era. What isn't immediately obvious until you go there is that it's essentially a bunch of neighborhoods and you tour a house among a bunch of other mansions. You then walk a couple blocks until you get to the next one to tour.

And at some point as you're going from mansion to mansion, you notice a Toyota sitting outside of one and you're like...holy shit, people live in most of these still. The number of houses you can tour is dwarfed by the ones that are still occupied.

So you go see the house below, and there's one on each side of it almost as nice, but there's some fuck living there who inherited it and probably never had to work a day in their life.

Yeah the one I was at had a quarter mile driveway/private road that only fed two houses.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

There's a couple of these houses in the family. Nothing that impressive, but still absurdly too much house with lots of land on the coast in the NE, 5-10m homes. What the people did to earn them? Family construction business.

One's gonna hit the inheritance free for all soon. Owner is 97. With the way my family passes things down I won't get it, I'm a few down the line, but I got my fingers crossed that I'll be a useless bastard who didn't have to work for it.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There's a couple of these houses in the family. Nothing that impressive, but still absurdly too much house with lots of land on the coast in the NE, 5-10m homes. What the people did to earn them? Family construction business.

One's gonna hit the inheritance free for all soon. Owner is 97. With the way my family passes things down I won't get it, I'm a few down the line, but I got my fingers crossed that I'll be a useless bastard who didn't have to work for it.
Tell them you dont want the house, to just leave you the pool house and lifetime access to the pool.