Home buying thread

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, there are a couple of legit places here in Walmart Land. Here are a few links.

I'm sure there are plenty more around. Constant reminders that we're nowhere near the ceiling. I wouldn't even know what to do with an actual estate.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Anyone live in or around Daytona? Or lived their recently? Im eyeing some condos and would like some input on the neighborhoods.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm a little North of Daytona and everyone here says avoid it like the plague. I can vouch for St. Aug though

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm a little North of Daytona and everyone here says avoid it like the plague. I can vouch for St. Aug though
That's what I was afraid of. Before I left Fl Daytona was pretty crappy. I was hoping things had gotten better. I am shopping for a condo on the beach to use as a vacation place.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Heard its getting infested with Joggers, could probably confirm using that race map

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why not a little more North? Weather is less extreme, less hurricanes, and you're not between both Miami/Broward and Daytona which are both aids. Lots more Trump signs up here. St. Aug and Palm Coast are beautiful too.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Why not a little more North? Weather is less extreme, less hurricanes, and you're not between both Miami/Broward and Daytona which are both aids. Lots more Trump signs up here. St. Aug and Palm Coast are beautiful too.
Mainly because I spend time in Melbourne and like the town. Proximity to Orlando is part of it to. I am not opposed to further up the coast, but wont go nearJax (for obvious reasons).

Szeth

Trakanon Raider
I was in Daytona a few years ago (won a trip to FL and it included a few days there) and it is a SHITHOLE. If you love college kids wasted everywhere and screen printing t shirt places outnumbering gas stations then it's the place for you.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
My ideal area is Melbourne Beach or Cocoa Beach.

My family has a house on (literally on) one of these beaches that was built in the 40’s. They had to use a boat and dump the supplies on the beach.

Can confirm its one of the best places my family has vacationed. I’m not sure what it would be like from a condo tho. Probably fine.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My family has a house on (literally on) one of these beaches that was built in the 40’s. They had to use a boat and dump the supplies on the beach.

Can confirm its one of the best places my family has vacationed. I’m not sure what it would be like from a condo tho. Probably fine.
I am from Ft Lauderdale. I love the Melbourne area for the people, the semi-quiet lifestyle and the mom & pops businesses all along the beach area.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We took an offer that is 15k above list, no inspections no clauses besides taking care of termite/radon if positive

I was leary of it being va, but agent is assuring me that all va loans in ks are getting thriugh easily now and the only drawback is the 45 day wait, which is fine for us that just means we have two houses.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
VA loans just take longer to close than conventional from everything that I've ever heard.

fris

Vyemm Raider
man, i'm torn. i want to buy a slightly bigger house in a slightly better neighborhood and keep my current as a rental. it just seems a bit out of financial reach. for those who have done some basic house hacking, where should I be for my 1st step in this?

my current home is ~ 60% paid off. my mortgage rate is 3%

I don't have enough saved to put a down payment on a 2nd home. i can 1, take a 401k loan, 2, heloc, 3, cash out refi, 4, wait

I don't have the income to justify a 2nd mortgage. i can 1, move out and rent some place for a few months so i can fix up my place and get a renter in. once i have rental history, i can get approved for a 2nd mortgage. 2, i can get it move in ready while still living her, have 1st months rent collected before i move out. my real estate agent thinks this is possible, seems to me like a lot to juggle.

even if i do get things aligned and this home becomes a rental, it will be about 2% cash(equity in the home) on cash return. at this rate, i would do better to just dump it in an index fund and not have the risk of a renter trashing my home right?

i'm maxing every tax difference account i have access to, 6 months ahead on mortgage payments and i typically pay $200 extra per month.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Sounds like too much effort for the risk since it'll be your only rental. Like you said, if it does get trashed you have no other properties to fall back on until its repaired and has a new tenant. I say just go with an index fund with your extra money for now.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Still waiting for construction to start due to Austin only finishing permitting papers for 5 properties a day in the entire metro area.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Did they include an escalation clause?
I am not sure what that is and I doubt it.

I am in no rush however. I own my current house and every day they sit tight is free equity. Still annoying because I demand instant gratification!