Home buying thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Some of it is the camera angle I assume. But kind of looks like the van parked next door is on a 45 degree hill/road.
it ain't no bunny slope
2d4aee3c062a3c51f2e2d87330a34fdf.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
That actually looks like a double-wide on stilts.
Shitty prefab on no doubt dodgy pilings on shitty land...maybe that's why the valuation is all over the place. If it wa me, I'd hang a condemned sign on the entrance to the property and the house and call it a day. That place is a mountain of headaches.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Shitty prefab on no doubt dodgy pilings on shitty land...maybe that's why the valuation is all over the place. If it wa me, I'd hang a condemned sign on the entrance to the property and the house and call it a day. That place is a mountain of headaches.
this area doesn't make sense and it's only cuz it's san fran that the property values are 20x what they should be

look at this culdesac up hill
f29ded0fb3fd9122b3f7cadf886d6620.png

how are these places close to 1m but look scary as fuck
d8271ad43404a89c5fdcbba5aad8d661.jpg

it's literally a fucking shack
2d202d19d886133c14834cefcd6e4a1d.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is a fun game. Now go Zillow some Oahu properties. Same shit with shacks on a fraction of the size of those CA lots for 1m+. Being an island with limited land, I get it.. but god damn.

I turned down a 6 figure job there last year because the cost of living was simply astronomical. Once you start digging into the insane energy / food costs, you realize you're just scraping by not saving anything. You're essentially paying for a lifestyle. No thanks. There's better balance out there in the world.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That became very clear to me when I lived there, and it's not just housing, everything is more expensive. My brother in Montana was making $50k a year and was buying a 4 bedroom house with a huge yard and I was making $80k and renting a 1 bedroom apartment. I was way out in the suburbs too. SF proper is way worse.

• 1Solidarity

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Tuesday is meeting for the final approval of my land development plan, neighbor has not made a peep in two months now. I'm also in front of the conservation district for my NPDES permit with final approval hopefully in next week or two. So if all goes well we are breaking ground in two weeks, then it's a fight against the weather to see if we can get footers poured before ground freezes. This six months feels like it has taken forever to get through this approval process, definitely eager for it to be over and I don't recommend it to anyone. Having to go before the municipality board at minimum three separate times, and they only meet once a month is so inefficient. The federal govt adding their tentacles into something like single family residential building is a further kick to the nuts.

Some fun reading if anyone is curious what NPDES is. National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) | US EPA

On the positive side, homestead progress has been good. Property is so vastly improved in the last 6 months I have to just sit there and stare at it sometimes. I have cleared many many cubic meters of weeds and invasive vines from the field edges and woods. Been burning the brush last few weeks and so nice to have it gone. I have so much firewood already just from clearing fallen trees. I have so much planting I want to do in Spring I just don't know that it's going to all work out in 22 because of building house.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Tuesday is meeting for the final approval of my land development plan, neighbor has not made a peep in two months now. I'm also in front of the conservation district for my NPDES permit with final approval hopefully in next week or two. So if all goes well we are breaking ground in two weeks, then it's a fight against the weather to see if we can get footers poured before ground freezes. This six months feels like it has taken forever to get through this approval process, definitely eager for it to be over and I don't recommend it to anyone. Having to go before the municipality board at minimum three separate times, and they only meet once a month is so inefficient. The federal govt adding their tentacles into something like single family residential building is a further kick to the nuts.

Some fun reading if anyone is curious what NPDES is. National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) | US EPA

On the positive side, homestead progress has been good. Property is so vastly improved in the last 6 months I have to just sit there and stare at it sometimes. I have cleared many many cubic meters of weeds and invasive vines from the field edges and woods. Been burning the brush last few weeks and so nice to have it gone. I have so much firewood already just from clearing fallen trees. I have so much planting I want to do in Spring I just don't know that it's going to all work out in 22 because of building house.
If you’re gonna be a farmer you gotta get rid of “cubic meters” and start referring to shit in acres.

Idk how to visualize a cubic meter, haha.

I can relate though. My parents property is the same way. Several overgrown grapevines now maintained, half acre garden, fruit trees cut down, roads cut through the woods, controlled burn on 60 acres, stumps removed, 100 roadside trees removed, gun range added, etc.

We’re also about to close on an attached 750 acres after six months of title issues and battling it out w the county who owns the land.

17B6E48E-327E-49E9-BCBB-D26AD5EAD544.jpeg
2A3BC17E-3A17-4642-A875-862F5EF3461F.jpeg
7E698016-9769-4AEA-BD0B-8BC658D38CD9.jpeg
9D299C3B-16C8-4BB7-9E31-CC06D16228DC.jpeg
C3DDF07F-965A-4D0C-A66C-03739FFDD315.jpeg
0287FB9C-4F7A-4CBD-A182-43EF49C4B729.jpeg
CA0ACDE9-89F0-42A6-909F-FE631A3CB1FE.jpeg
747D1DE5-F7F6-4E73-8541-7CCAEC5920C5.jpeg
E0D99170-4520-4E2B-8130-340516640706.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
If you’re gonna be a farmer you gotta get rid of “cubic meters” and start referring to shit in acres.

Idk how to visualize a cubic meter, haha.
Well one is volume the other is area. How about cubic yards. I was thinking more about the volume of the piles not the area cleared.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Well I didn't weigh the brush, but it was indeed probably tons.

Our neighbor removed 60 tons (or two log truck loads) of trees along the driveway. We ground down 30 stumps. We removed probably 10 truck beds worth of random overgrown junk and burned it, so like 5 tons. And then just so much other stuff like I mentioned above.

In five years, you're going to shed a tear thinking back to what you've got and where you started. Take lots of pictures!

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Our neighbor removed 60 tons (or two log truck loads) of trees along the driveway. We ground down 30 stumps. We removed probably 10 truck beds worth of random overgrown junk and burned it, so like 5 tons. And then just so much other stuff like I mentioned above.

In five years, you're going to shed a tear thinking back to what you've got and where you started. Take lots of pictures!
Already lots of areas where I'm like dammit why didn't I take before and after shots.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hardwood is mostly sold by the board foot and if you’re in Kentucky everything is sold by the board foot.
if i had to cut down a a tree, i'd just buy an offset smoker

smoking a brisket is like a kings funeral for a tree
(i'm sure theres more involved like you have to really season and dry the wood, so you don't get bad smoke vs smokey smoke)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Tuesday is meeting for the final approval of my land development plan,
Got our final approval this evening, went smoothly. Just need that NPDES permit and we can start work, maybe even as soon as the end of this week. Weather has stayed moderate for December so far I hope it keeps up.

Finally to the point I can start tossing purchase orders out there. Scary looking at how much money about to spend just need to get it over with. Every dang item seems to have increased significantly due this transitory! (lol) inflation. I had to double take on a garage doors quote this week It really does feel like the window is closing on this sort of thing even being possible for most people. Dream of building a home is going to be exclusively the very wealthy or as part of some cookie cutter smashed together development.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Got our final approval this evening, went smoothly. Just need that NPDES permit and we can start work, maybe even as soon as the end of this week. Weather has stayed moderate for December so far I hope it keeps up.

Finally to the point I can start tossing purchase orders out there. Scary looking at how much money about to spend just need to get it over with. Every dang item seems to have increased significantly due this transitory! (lol) inflation. I had to double take on a garage doors quote this week It really does feel like the window is closing on this sort of thing even being possible for most people. Dream of building a home is going to be exclusively the very wealthy or as part of some cookie cutter smashed together development.
You should just treat the money for the POs the way you treat it for trades. Didn't you say $100k trades don't faze you?

😃

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
You should just treat the money for the POs the way you treat it for trades. Didn't you say $100k trades don't faze you?

😃
Well that doesn't match up very well for me, maybe I'll treat them like my PYPL trade. That at least gets me closer the feeling of lighting my money on fire. I'm actually pretty eager to move cash into the hard asset of a homestead that is going to be able to support my family even if things really go to shit, to me that is money well spent. With inflation on the rise I'll probably look back in a few years and not lament the choice but be thrilled I converted the dollars into something tangible when I did.

So knowing that being cash lighter is the correct choice and it still being uncomfortable/unfamiliar is pretty much where I'm at.

• 1Worf