Home buying thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Drove out yesterday and there was a single, old white guy, grading the yard. I'm guessing he's higher up in either the construction company or the sod company. Just as I was leaving, got a call from the builder and my realtor saying that we were going to shoot for a closing on Monday. Unfortunately, our rate lock was good for 45 days, and that expires tomorrow. It's 0.125% of the sales price to extend it every 7 days. Not a huge deal as it's only about $300, but still annoying.

Got a picture this afternoon and they're finally laying sod. So I feel pretty confident we'll finally close. Our realtor said she's worked with them dozens of times over the years and they only ever missed a closing once. I don't know if that makes me feel better that we're the second one. They keep saying it's because of covid, but I'm sitting here like, covid is almost 2 years old and this is the first house to miss closing because of it in all that time? This shit story doesn't make any sense.

I've had to change our internet install 3 times, and they shut it off yesterday morning. I actually woke up at like 3am with a headache (from all the stress) and saw the modem blinking when I was walking back to bed. I knew as soon as I woke up I'd have to call them. I confirmed 3 times that they cancelled the install for tomorrow, but I have a feeling our internet will be shut off again tonight.

Oh well. Almost there. Got everything lined up next week. We begged our property manager to let us stay a couple extra days next week, so that got resolved. Won't be rescheduling anything else at this point because we basically have to be out.

I can't remember if I mentioned it, but our realtor is awesome. She offered to let us store all our shit in her garage (she has a massive house), and also if we needed, they have a rental property in Destin we can stay at if we get kicked out and still haven't closed.

Going to drive out tomorrow afternoon and hopefully see everything complete.
dude, is your sod still sitting on your driveway in the florida heat?

that zoysa or bermuda is ded

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Drove out yesterday and there was a single, old white guy, grading the yard. I'm guessing he's higher up in either the construction company or the sod company. Just as I was leaving, got a call from the builder and my realtor saying that we were going to shoot for a closing on Monday. Unfortunately, our rate lock was good for 45 days, and that expires tomorrow. It's 0.125% of the sales price to extend it every 7 days. Not a huge deal as it's only about $300, but still annoying.

Got a picture this afternoon and they're finally laying sod. So I feel pretty confident we'll finally close. Our realtor said she's worked with them dozens of times over the years and they only ever missed a closing once. I don't know if that makes me feel better that we're the second one. They keep saying it's because of covid, but I'm sitting here like, covid is almost 2 years old and this is the first house to miss closing because of it in all that time? This shit story doesn't make any sense.

I've had to change our internet install 3 times, and they shut it off yesterday morning. I actually woke up at like 3am with a headache (from all the stress) and saw the modem blinking when I was walking back to bed. I knew as soon as I woke up I'd have to call them. I confirmed 3 times that they cancelled the install for tomorrow, but I have a feeling our internet will be shut off again tonight.

Oh well. Almost there. Got everything lined up next week. We begged our property manager to let us stay a couple extra days next week, so that got resolved. Won't be rescheduling anything else at this point because we basically have to be out.

I can't remember if I mentioned it, but our realtor is awesome. She offered to let us store all our shit in her garage (she has a massive house), and also if we needed, they have a rental property in Destin we can stay at if we get kicked out and still haven't closed.

Going to drive out tomorrow afternoon and hopefully see everything complete.

Man, you have paid your dues on this one. You deserve to be in there Monday with a resplendent lawn. I hope everything goes smoothly for you this weekend!

And throw your current landlord a gift card for dinner out or something. It's good of him to give you more days after you said you'd be out.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's a property management company. The owner lives in Germany actually, although he happened to be in town when we moved in so we met him. The company is actually really awesome and was super professional when we moved in.

Florida is kind of weird, you have to keep paying the rent until they find a replacement tenant (and they don't have to), until your original lease is up. So technically we could've been on the hook until May 2022. We're actually required to keep paying rent until the new tenant moves in on November 4th, and keep the utilities on. So while it seems like they're doing us a massive favor, we're also still paying for the place for an extra week and a half after we've turned our keys in.

We stopped by twice today and they had wrapped up the sod at about 2:45pm. I'm hoping either the inspector already came, or they have him scheduled for late this afternoon. I haven't heard anything yet, so I think we're still good.

Picked up our cashier's check and got all the utilities scheduled for Monday.

Only thing remaining on my list that I need to do is quit my job the day after closing, and figure out an ACA plan. One positive is that my employer's payroll is done on the 25th (I think?) and so I'm hoping we've basically got health insurance for November already. Meaning we need to figure out health insurance before December. That's about the only benefit in these delays. But I've also worked 2 months longer than I anticipated. Oh, and they're (also hopefully) watering the lawn all weekend, so we should have a couple days of them watering it for free.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So we closed. It was a fucking rollercoaster...still/again. We had our final walkthrough at 9am. We got there and no one was there. But I noticed the drain line was severed. I'm guessing from grading the yard. Uh, shit, I don't think we're closing today. We were also missing the attic cover (which I think I mentioned before, but the builder sales rep lied about it). There were also pallets of sod blocking the driveway and shit all over the yard (lumber, roots, etc).

The builder finally arrived and said this isn't normal and it was all getting fixed. His plumber was going to be there to fix the sewer line any minute and he'd take care of the rest. I almost didn't sign the paper saying they did everything, but we do have a one year warranty so I figured fuck it.

We also found out the driveway inspection wasn't complete and there's a second certificate of occupancy for that. Can't close without it.

Realtor said let's just go to the lawyer's office and see if it all comes through. When we get there, we find out that the appraiser was supposed to come back out on the weekend and check the stuff that wasn't done (sod/grading) and no one had heard from him. This is the same fucker that appraised it for way under market value (didn't matter since we were putting way more down) and was two days late and was maybe part of the reason we didn't close on time.

It was sounding like we might be able to close in the afternoon, but likely tomorrow. But then the miraculous happened and the inspector came early and they got the appraiser to sign off. After 90 minutes of waiting we started signing.

The only hiccup is there was some weird form from the lender that basically said (paraphrasing) "I intend to keep my job for the next 30 days." My wife is super paranoid that if I quit my job we're going to be fucked somehow. I told her that me initialing that is no concern and now that the funds are released and paperwork filed, they can't force me to stay at my job. People with mortgages quit all the time.

I imagine they do it in the unlikely event the company they sell it to wants to verify employment. But if they try to and I'm not there anymore what are they going to do?

Oh, and when we got back to the house, everything was fixed. So we're good to go. Moved a bunch of shit today and we're exhausted, but getting the U-Haul tomorrow for the big stuff.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
We also found out the driveway inspection wasn't complete and there's a second certificate of occupancy for that. Can't close without it.
ok, the grading part... i can understand

this???

like they want to make sure your driveway is properly cured?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
So we closed. It was a fucking rollercoaster...still/again. We had our final walkthrough at 9am. We got there and no one was there. But I noticed the drain line was severed. I'm guessing from grading the yard. Uh, shit, I don't think we're closing today. We were also missing the attic cover (which I think I mentioned before, but the builder sales rep lied about it). There were also pallets of sod blocking the driveway and shit all over the yard (lumber, roots, etc).

The builder finally arrived and said this isn't normal and it was all getting fixed. His plumber was going to be there to fix the sewer line any minute and he'd take care of the rest. I almost didn't sign the paper saying they did everything, but we do have a one year warranty so I figured fuck it.

Realtor said let's just go to the lawyer's office and see if it all comes through. When we get there, we find out that the appraiser was supposed to come back out on the weekend and check the stuff that wasn't done (sod/grading) and no one had heard from him. This is the same fucker that appraised it for way under market value (didn't matter since we were putting way more down) and was two days late and was maybe part of the reason we didn't close on time.

It was sounding like we might be able to close in the afternoon, but likely tomorrow. But then the miraculous happened and the inspector came early and they got the appraiser to sign off. After 90 minutes of waiting we started signing.

The only hiccup is there was some weird form from the lender that basically said (paraphrasing) "I intend to keep my job for the next 30 days." My wife is super paranoid that if I quit my job we're going to be fucked somehow. I told her that me initialing that is no concern and now that the funds are released and paperwork filed, they can't force me to stay at my job. People with mortgages quit all the time.

I imagine they do it in the unlikely event the company they sell it to wants to verify employment. But if they try to and I'm not there anymore what are they going to do?

Oh, and when we got back to the house, everything was fixed. So we're good to go. Moved a bunch of shit today and we're exhausted, but getting the U-Haul tomorrow for the big stuff.

Congrats on closing. Hope everything works smoothly from here on out!

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Great news.
And remember, when you signed that, you honestly intended to stay at your job for 30 days. And then changed your mind when you got the keys 10 minutes later.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
The loan funded nobody is checking shit, the horse has left the barn. Even if your loan gets sold the new servicer ain't checking shit either.

Gravel Gravel Tell your Wife to relax. All is good, you have crossed the finish line.

Congrats!

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
ok, the grading part... i can understand

this???

like they want to make sure your driveway is properly cured?
Our realtor explained it to us that since the driveway connects to the city or county road or whatever, that they inspect it to make sure it's done right. The main portion of that is that it has a sufficient "footer" that's big enough at the junction between the two.

From what I can tell, the final is that it needs to have grass on either side. It makes no sense to me, but whatever (I'm not allowed to have dirt? gravel? fucking flowers?). It's done.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Our realtor explained it to us that since the driveway connects to the city or county road or whatever, that they inspect it to make sure it's done right. The main portion of that is that it has a sufficient "footer" that's big enough at the junction between the two.

From what I can tell, the final is that it needs to have grass on either side. It makes no sense to me, but whatever (I'm not allowed to have dirt? gravel? fucking flowers?). It's done.
as far as i see (besides the ppl that get lawncare) i'm the only guy that edges my driveway in my culdesac

did you get a sprinkler system or do you have to go out twice a day now and keep that sod alive?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Most places the driveway from the street up to and including the sidewalk if poured by the city and is supposed to be 6" thick. Rest of the driveway is the builder's responsibility.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>

The job thing is not a weird paper, it’s pretty standard. It will only matter if you don’t pay your mortgage and they go to foreclose and then you won’t be able to claim financial hardship.

• 1Like

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Just had the notary over to complete my refi. Am glad it is all done now, but was overall a 2/10 experience.

Guy calls 30min early and says he is ready if I am. Was standing in my bathroom naked with shaving cream on my half shaved face about to take a shower. Hurried up for the guy, called him 10min later and he now seemed annoyed we weren't going to start right at the original time. Felt a bit hurried through all the documents, he explained little and when questioned would basically say "it's in your copies as well". Guy didn't even offer to shake hands, covid bump, etc when completed.

End result is a 25% lower payment, and a nice interest rate reduction, so may start thinking about getting another place with this payment well under what I could rent this place for. Just glad it is all over, 2/10 only because I kept the notary's pen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just had the notary over to complete my refi. Am glad it is all done now, but was overall a 2/10 experience.

Guy calls 30min early and says he is ready if I am. Was standing in my bathroom naked with shaving cream on my half shaved face about to take a shower. Hurried up for the guy, called him 10min later and he now seemed annoyed we weren't going to start right at the original time. Felt a bit hurried through all the documents, he explained little and when questioned would basically say "it's in your copies as well". Guy didn't even offer to shake hands, covid bump, etc when completed.

End result is a 25% lower payment, and a nice interest rate reduction, so may start thinking about getting another place with this payment well under what I could rent this place for. Just glad it is all over, 2/10 only because I kept the notary's pen.
notaries make like 5bucks per stamp?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
No idea, he one here works in the bank so I assume they get paid whatever they do while working at the bank all day.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Update on home build approval process. Now 2 of 3 approvals down, had to do some additional soil testing for a storm water pit this week that went well. Four more weeks till final approval and building permit. Troublesome neighbor has been completely silent, I have not sought them out. They can still throw a monkey wrench in but not much I can do but keep pushing ahead. Have excavation contractor all lined up for mid/late December just hoping we stay warm long enough to get foundation in.

This week marks 6 months of this so far, my original hope was that we would be framed up by now.

Last edited:
  • 4Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Update on home build approval process. Now 2 of 3 approvals down, had to do some additional soil testing for a storm water pit this week that went well. Four more weeks till final approval and building permit. Troublesome neighbor has been completely silent, I have not sought them out. They can still throw a monkey wrench in but not much I can do but keep pushing ahead. Have excavation contractor all lined up for mid/late December just hoping we stay warm long enough to get foundation in.

This week marks 6 months of this so far, my original hope was that we would be framed up by now.

on schedule? Whats next, hoping you'll stay in budget!?

• 3Worf
  • 1Rustled
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

this is a bullshit article, but it's making headlines cuz racism
Paul Austin said he felt good as the appraiser roamed his Northern California home last year, ticking off some of the $400,000 worth of improvements he and his wife had made to the property.
The appraiser noted the new fireplace, Austin told a state reparations task force in October, mentioned a room they’d added and complimented the view from the new deck.

So Austin and his wife were shocked when the appraiser pegged the value of their Marin City home in the San Francisco Bay area at $995,000, far lower than previous appraisals.
“It was a slap in the face,” Austin told KGO-TV in February.
Austin and his wife, Tenisha Tate-Austin decided to get another opinion three weeks later, they say in a lawsuit filed Thursday in federal court in San Francisco. This time, they enlisted the help of their White friend Jan who agreed to pretend to be the homeowner for a different appraiser, the lawsuit alleges.

i found their house

jesus christ, they pay 12k in taxes for this shitty 2000sq/ft house

corner house with landscaping that looks like trash and zero curb appeal and it's on a fucking mt everest hill
d8c1a453372a7a71ddfcf5df3d73189f.jpg

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Rustled

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

this is a bullshit article, but it's making headlines cuz racism

i found their house

jesus christ, they pay 12k in taxes for this shitty 2000sq/ft house

corner house with landscaping that looks like trash and zero curb appeal and it's on a fucking mt everest hill
d8c1a453372a7a71ddfcf5df3d73189f.jpg
That actually looks like a double-wide on stilts.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!