Home buying thread

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Holy fuck, my wife's friend just got divorced recently and has been wanting to move. Her work just approved her to work from home full time, and so she's free to move anywhere she wants. She asked us to look for places in our town for under 150,000. I started by shouting about how this is the dumbest time to buy a house, but she insisted.

So, we start looking around. For perspective, I sold my pretty nice 3 bed/2bath, 2 car garage, 1600sqft house in 2020 for $187,000 and felt like that was high- most comparable houses in the area were going for around 160.

Now? The only things for sale under $150,000 are mobile homes in the worst part of town. Shit that would have been hard to sell for $30,000 a couple of years ago. It's fucking insane. Literal meth lab houses with no doors and shit listed for $130k.

What the fuck? WHO is buying this shit?! lol

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I can't fucking wait. Realtors shouldn't exist, but they're so embedded on both sides of the transaction that it's hard to manage without one. It's changing, but slooooowly.
My work is in real estate. 99% Realtors are garbage people. Fuck all realtors.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Holy fuck, my wife's friend just got divorced recently and has been wanting to move. Her work just approved her to work from home full time, and so she's free to move anywhere she wants. She asked us to look for places in our town for under 150,000. I started by shouting about how this is the dumbest time to buy a house, but she insisted.

So, we start looking around. For perspective, I sold my pretty nice 3 bed/2bath, 2 car garage, 1600sqft house in 2020 for $187,000 and felt like that was high- most comparable houses in the area were going for around 160.

Now? The only things for sale under $150,000 are mobile homes in the worst part of town. Shit that would have been hard to sell for $30,000 a couple of years ago. It's fucking insane. Literal meth lab houses with no doors and shit listed for $130k.

That's only going to get a remotely decent small house in extremely bum fuck Montana or the deep south. Even in Oklahoma where i bought to be cheaper that's going to be a very nice mobile home and area or a pretty minimalist 1 bed house in old areas of town.

Needs to do financially thing that's right and go move diverged she can afford or accept becoming renting class.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

move to ks, i'm sure Erronius Erronius can show her around
c8b346b58c58ee3ccf61d5537f97fc5c.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
God damn, $88 per square foot. ::Cries in NYC::
yea last year i sold my familial home for 694/sq/ft

i woulda kept on holding out since the neighborhood is going for 748 sq/ft now but my mom wanted to gtfo out of the house since my dad passed

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
yea last year i sold my familial home for 694/sq/ft

i woulda kept on holding out since the neighborhood is going for 748 sq/ft now but my mom wanted to gtfo out of the house since my dad passed
Yeah shits retarded. I am closing a deal tomorrow for a PARKING SPACE for $150k. :emoji_laughing:

• 1Triggered
Reactions: 1 user

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
My work is in real estate. 99% Realtors are garbage people. Fuck all realtors.
It is really hard to come up with a profession thats more parasitic

I mean, literally zero added value, just parasitism. Human malware.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
And you thought we had issues here in America?

• 1Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider

Live in midwest. Bought house with ~15 acres fall of last year, ran into our RE the other day and he told us that the house would be going for +$100k if we were to buy today. Obviously market dependent, but there has been no slow down for sales or price markups in my area. He also said that the market only escalated over winter which is usually a slower time of year for them. Dunno how sustainable it is but it seems to still be running hot.

Most buyers here are investor class or transplants from the coasts so far as I can tell.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
It is really hard to come up with a profession thats more parasitic

I mean, literally zero added value, just parasitism. Human malware.
Eh, a good agent is worth it. The profession has the potential to not be parasitic, it's just that most agents suck nuts.