Home buying thread

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
That's why I said 15%; I don't think we need high unemployment to get this decline because the meteoric COVID rise had no basis outside low rates and those are gone. My house 'value' went up roughly 33% for no reason and now that rates have more than doubled the priced in my neighborhood are already down 5-8%. I see more of a drop as interest rates continue ro rise.
Individual neighborhoods are anecdotal not to mention people confuse asking price declines with sold price declines and they are very much different beasts. There will probably be some parts of country that see significant declines. Not sure what you mean "No Reason" housing prices chase the cost to build. Do you believe the cost to build new is going to see a significant decline?

You don't see an entire decade of under building as being an opposing force to your assumed headwinds? Will this decline in the cost to build be from labor or materials? Which do you see declining significantly and why? There is no reason to expect forced selling as currently leverage levels are extremely low and most people are sitting on juicy low interest mortgages.

KInd of frustrating nobody will lay out the prognostication besides, "they went up a lot" as the reasoning for the coming crash. Also when does this occur? This next quarter?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Individual neighborhoods are anecdotal not to mention people confuse asking price declines with sold price declines and they are very much different beasts. There will probably be some parts of country that see significant declines. Not sure what you mean "No Reason" housing prices chase the cost to build. Do you believe the cost to build new is going to see a significant decline?

You don't see an entire decade of under building as being an opposing force to your assumed headwinds? Will this decline in the cost to build be from labor or materials? Which do you see declining significantly and why? There is no reason to expect forced selling as currently leverage levels are extremely low and most people are sitting on juicy low interest mortgages.

KInd of frustrating nobody will lay out the prognostication besides, "they went up a lot" as the reasoning for the coming crash. Also when does this occur? This next quarter?
As someone who just bought a house recently, nothing fancy I’m not rich I make a little over 100k a year. I own my previous home and currently renting it now that I’m moved into the new house. I bought a 1600 square foot 3 bedroom 2 bath house in a nice area, right down the road from the country club in a city with 20k people just outside the bigger city of Corpus Christi. I’ve been shopping for 2 years, I’m not going to get into any pissing match or argue national levels. My anecdotal experience is things are changing, prices are falling, contracts are constantly being canceled and people who qualified when they made an offer no longer qualified after they had an offer was accepted.

Price of the house I bought originally listed at $249,900 I’m just going to refer to it as 250k from here on out. The house sat in the market for 64 days according to Redfin before I put an offer. They lowered the asking price to 240k I made an offer of 200k, 5k earnest money much to the chagrin of my agent who refused to accept that the market was shifting to a buyers market. They countered with 220k, I waive the appraisal contingency and the inspection contingency and I told my agent they can pound sand.

My agent came back and said “they have another offer but they said they can do 215k but you have to waive the inspection contingency and the appraisal.” I told my agent they don’t have shit or they wouldn’t be talking to us tell them 210k I’ll never waive either of those contingencies and they have to give me 3k credit towards closing cost. They accepted, after inspections I got another 1500 for minor repairs (mostly for a new interior paint) and the house was appraised at 255k.

Every house in the area are being listed for the same amount, prices dropping after a couple of weeks and then go pending and I’d say nearly half end up back on the market and then pending again and eventually selling but I don’t know the price people are paying. In January I would have never gotten that deal, any credits or anything like that. I bought the house that has been appraised at 255k, originally listed for 250k for 210k and got 3k in credit towards closing and 1500 for minor repairs. That’s a little more than a 15% decrease, things are only going to get worse as more buyers drop out or are forced out due to no longer being able to qualify because of higher interest rates my rate was 4.25% in January when I was close to making a deal it would have been 2.35%.

Asking prices are declining in my area constantly, I can’t tell you what the actual selling prices are but I don’t think my experience is an outlier and probably the more common experience. People who have to sell are listing high and can’t find buyers, serious buyers with money aren’t just throwing shit away and want good prices due to increasing interest rates and the sellers are coming down on prices to be able to sell. How far they come down will vary from area to area but these prices appear to me like they are coming down. It seems highly more likely that this is the case over me being some super smart dude who fucked over the sellers of the house I just bought, I’m no one special and the house I bought isn’t anything grand but it’s a step up for me in a school district I want my child to go to school in.

As to actual numbers, I’d go with 15% as I’ve personally seen that. I see that as a safe bet, places like Boise and Austin are going to get hit much harder imo.

Edited to answer when, Let’s go with August 2023.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I’ve been keeping an eye out since right before the pandemic. I was really expecting millions more to die off considering all the news reports. We sat and watched prices sky rocket. Seeing how quickly I’m getting updates of prices dropping I’m betting my own money that it’ll drop back down to 2018 levels. So the 900k houses will be 660kish in a year. Shit is hitting the fan employment wise. I’m at one of the top 3 insurance companies and their mantra was we will never lay anyone off since they almost crashed back in the 70s. That held true until this year and I’ve seen over 1000 people “need to change jobs and make lower pay” or just quit. It’s going to get nasty. We’ve already lost over a billion this year.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

I think the decline is coming because builders are building the type of houses that people could/would buy when money was cheap but now with the price of everything going up people are going to choose houses that they need, not that they want. So builders who have houses with tons of bonus rooms selling to families that were going to grow into them after a decade and 2 more kids are going to learn that those people either 1.) will not qualify for the loan 2.) qualify but cannot afford the % of income that goes to housing (especially with food, gas, and every other daily necessity costs 25-50% more) or 3.) qualify, can afford it, but don't want their new builds because they can get a house with no butler's pantry, second master suite, media room, or other "bonus" room for way less because those extras lose their value to people that are just trying to get into a place that won't bankrupt them.

I also see it coming because I own rental properties and know other people in other states that own rental properties that run the gamut of income ranges and we are all in the same boat. We can afford the houses and the down payments but know that the amount that we would have to charge for rent would eat up so much of the prospect's monthly earnings that they would just sign the lease and then have to break it 4 months in when the reality of how much they pay every month hits them. It actually gets WORSE for them if you calculate their monthly payments on a property they try to purchase if you assume they put down the 3% minimum and have to take out PMI (which is also double/2.5x what it was a few years ago). Maybe I am wrong and, much like in Canda, people will start adjusting to houses that cost them 50% of the net income every month; but that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Damn, I didn't realize the insanity had reached that far out. Those are all too big to be true starter homes; it is what the current generation has been conditioned on as a starter home.

In truth those prices say to me that Dallas and its suburbs are a terrible place to have a starter home and why I have said in this very thread that smaller towns should be where new families build their lives, not suburbs of giant metros.

And please spare me the "well that's where the JOBS are and where people want to LIVE." Well, then you will sacrifice the American Dream of home ownership for a reasonable price for the American Dream of home ownership that will cost you half your earning for 30+ years.
Those sure seem like starter homes to me. Here atleast even the post war ranches are all 1100-1400 sq ft before you count the fact that almost all have finished basement space and that sure seems similar to those listed other than the fact they are newer

No one even builds smaller than that unless your idea of a starter home is a trailer.

Fucker

Log Wizard
As someone who just bought a house recently, nothing fancy I’m not rich I make a little over 100k a year. I own my previous home and currently renting it now that I’m moved into the new house. I bought a 1600 square foot 3 bedroom 2 bath house in a nice area, right down the road from the country club in a city with 20k people just outside the bigger city of Corpus Christi. I’ve been shopping for 2 years, I’m not going to get into any pissing match or argue national levels. My anecdotal experience is things are changing, prices are falling, contracts are constantly being canceled and people who qualified when they made an offer no longer qualified after they had an offer was accepted.

Price of the house I bought originally listed at $249,900 I’m just going to refer to it as 250k from here on out. The house sat in the market for 64 days according to Redfin before I put an offer. They lowered the asking price to 240k I made an offer of 200k, 5k earnest money much to the chagrin of my agent who refused to accept that the market was shifting to a buyers market. They countered with 220k, I waive the appraisal contingency and the inspection contingency and I told my agent they can pound sand.

My agent came back and said “they have another offer but they said they can do 215k but you have to waive the inspection contingency and the appraisal.” I told my agent they don’t have shit or they wouldn’t be talking to us tell them 210k I’ll never waive either of those contingencies and they have to give me 3k credit towards closing cost. They accepted, after inspections I got another 1500 for minor repairs (mostly for a new interior paint) and the house was appraised at 255k.

Every house in the area are being listed for the same amount, prices dropping after a couple of weeks and then go pending and I’d say nearly half end up back on the market and then pending again and eventually selling but I don’t know the price people are paying. In January I would have never gotten that deal, any credits or anything like that. I bought the house that has been appraised at 255k, originally listed for 250k for 210k and got 3k in credit towards closing and 1500 for minor repairs. That’s a little more than a 15% decrease, things are only going to get worse as more buyers drop out or are forced out due to no longer being able to qualify because of higher interest rates my rate was 4.25% in January when I was close to making a deal it would have been 2.35%.

Asking prices are declining in my area constantly, I can’t tell you what the actual selling prices are but I don’t think my experience is an outlier and probably the more common experience. People who have to sell are listing high and can’t find buyers, serious buyers with money aren’t just throwing shit away and want good prices due to increasing interest rates and the sellers are coming down on prices to be able to sell. How far they come down will vary from area to area but these prices appear to me like they are coming down. It seems highly more likely that this is the case over me being some super smart dude who fucked over the sellers of the house I just bought, I’m no one special and the house I bought isn’t anything grand but it’s a step up for me in a school district I want my child to go to school in.

As to actual numbers, I’d go with 15% as I’ve personally seen that. I see that as a safe bet, places like Boise and Austin are going to get hit much harder imo.

Edited to answer when, Let’s go with August 2023.
State I moved out of last year (ID) is seeing pretty sharp decreases in asks. Don't know transaction prices but they for sure aren't over ask. I just sold my other house, too bad I couldn't do it before last hike because I would have gotten what I wanted for it. I dropped the price a little bit twice and hit the sweet part of the market and had people lining up to buy...people wanting in before the next rate hike and they get priced out of the area.

Couple houses I kept my eye on in ID, owners put stupid high prices on them and held on to their dumb ideas, and now they will get nowhere near what they could have gotten out of them at peak, and the market is still headed sharply south.

I'm out of all of it completely for a while. Glad, too. Looked and looked at thousands of houses (online) for 18 months. Found a handful that I liked and finally bagged one after having missed out on a few due to being outbid.

• 1Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Edit - never mind it didn’t contribute to this conversation.

• 1Worf

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Those sure seem like starter homes to me. Here atleast even the post war ranches are all 1100-1400 sq ft before you count the fact that almost all have finished basement space and that sure seems similar to those listed other than the fact they are newer

No one even builds smaller than that unless your idea of a starter home is a trailer.

They seem like starter homes to you because that is what you have seen as the quaint little houses for a new couple that has 1 kid or is trying since you have been old enough to appreciate the market. This is almost exactly the same house that I grew up in (same neighborhood) with parents, a twin brother, and two sisters in the 80's; which means this was considered a step up from a starter house. A starter house should be 2 or maybe 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom which would run less than 1000 sq ft. It sold for $55,000 in 2000 which is the same year I started college; but if I had gotten a job at 8 dollars an hour (not unreasonable since I was making $6.00 an hour at a McDonalds in the same town) that is $1280 a month and $1100 after taxes the house would have run me around $450/month if I could have scrounged up the $1500 minimum down payment and a 6% loan. Again, that is a single 18 year old guy making 8 bucks an hour in a house that was good enough for 6 people.

So now we all have McMansions with extra rooms that are never used and we see that as normal. I am including myself in that statement because we "outgrew" the 4 bedroom house we had because of having 4 kids; but now in the 5 bedroom house the kids are sleeping two to a room because they like it more and we have 2 rooms that are unused. A complete waste of space that probably added between 50-75k to the cost of this house pre-COVID boom.

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think the decline is coming because builders are building the type of houses that people could/would buy when money was cheap but now with the price of everything going up people are going to choose houses that they need, not that they want. So builders who have houses with tons of bonus rooms selling to families that were going to grow into them after a decade and 2 more kids are going to learn that those people either 1.) will not qualify for the loan 2.) qualify but cannot afford the % of income that goes to housing (especially with food, gas, and every other daily necessity costs 25-50% more) or 3.) qualify, can afford it, but don't want their new builds because they can get a house with no butler's pantry, second master suite, media room, or other "bonus" room for way less because those extras lose their value to people that are just trying to get into a place that won't bankrupt them.

I also see it coming because I own rental properties and know other people in other states that own rental properties that run the gamut of income ranges and we are all in the same boat. We can afford the houses and the down payments but know that the amount that we would have to charge for rent would eat up so much of the prospect's monthly earnings that they would just sign the lease and then have to break it 4 months in when the reality of how much they pay every month hits them. It actually gets WORSE for them if you calculate their monthly payments on a property they try to purchase if you assume they put down the 3% minimum and have to take out PMI (which is also double/2.5x what it was a few years ago). Maybe I am wrong and, much like in Canda, people will start adjusting to houses that cost them 50% of the net income every month; but that sounds like a recipe for disaster.
I would guess it will be somewhere in the middle. We won’t get to Canada or China levels yet but it will never return to the 2015 levels of affordability either. Hell back in 2015 I remember buying and thinking how screwed I was compared to when my parents bought their starter house in 84. Little did I know.

I still disagree on the starter house thing. I mean I don’t even know of any houses in my state built in the last 80 years that would fit your definition. My dads parents house is probably the size you are talking about. A piece of shit 900 sqft house built in the 40s (which wasn’t old for them in 55) and they were working poor. Literally the McDonald’s or Amazon delivery workers of our current day. Saying a starter home for a middle class family now should be that level of shit just seems wrong. Especially since you aren’t talking new build anymore. Atleast when my dad grew up there it wasn’t old and falling apart. Now the only house to buy that size is literally that same house since no one had built shit that size recently.

Last edited:

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
State I moved out of last year (ID) is seeing pretty sharp decreases in asks. Don't know transaction prices but they for sure aren't over ask. I just sold my other house, too bad I couldn't do it before last hike because I would have gotten what I wanted for it. I dropped the price a little bit twice and hit the sweet part of the market and had people lining up to buy...people wanting in before the next rate hike and they get priced out of the area.

Couple houses I kept my eye on in ID, owners put stupid high prices on them and held on to their dumb ideas, and now they will get nowhere near what they could have gotten out of them at peak, and the market is still headed sharply south.

I'm out of all of it completely for a while. Glad, too. Looked and looked at thousands of houses (online) for 18 months. Found a handful that I liked and finally bagged one after having missed out on a few due to being outbid.
I can't stop looking, been to part of my routine for way to long. I look less, just once a day before bed but the trends that started as the interest rates rose has continued in my area. I suspect that if they raise interest rates by another 75 to 150 basis points by the end of the year as has been suggested might happen I don't know how prices don't continue to drop.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I still disagree on the starter house thing. I mean I don’t even know of any houses in my state built in the last 80 years that would fit your definition. My dads parents house is probably the size you are talking about. A piece of shit 900 sqft house built in the 40s (which wasn’t old for them in 55) and they were working poor. Literally the McDonald’s or Amazon delivery workers of our current day. Saying a starter home for a middle class family now should be that level of shit just seems wrong. Especially since you aren’t talking new build anymore. Atleast when my dad grew up there it wasn’t old and falling apart. Now the only house to buy that size is literally that same house since no one had built shit that size recently.

These are the people that I am most concerned about since it is always the lowest rung that gets hit the worst in recessions. How can we say that we are different than the Left if we ignore and/or exacerbate the very things that can assist them in making their lives, and by extension their children's lives, more worthwhile and productive? A McDonald's or Buckee's employee now could probably make right at $30k a year working full time (a little over $15/hr). If that person spends 33% of their net monthly income on rent then they can only afford $750/month which means their house would need to be around $100,000 with a 6% loan. I don't see 900 sq ft houses as pieces of shit and neither would someone making that type of money. If you take it up to a couple working the same job and the wife even going part time then they could probably afford that "piece of shit" I grew up in; something I would happily own right now as a rental property but would be more than happy to see owned by a family that was bought into keeping it nice and clean since it was fucking theirs.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Let's put numbers to it, what do you believe the peak decline YoY in home prices will be?
Its a simple questiaon that is incredibly difficult to try to accurately answer. So many moving parts. Give me some time to work out a response. I mean look how well my S&P500 end of year value guess is working out.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Its a simple questiaon that is incredibly difficult to try to accurately answer. So many moving parts. Give me some time to work out a response. I mean look how well my S&P500 end of year value guess is working out.
We should do another contest list for national median home price 4th qtr

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

that kitchen is massive for a starter home
9fb042f9c3ccac3be7a9f5323817f896.jpg

that kitchen is massive for a starter home, you don't usually get a sectional, at most you'd get just the leftside and they fit in the stove somewhere, but to say thats a starter home? naw

not to mention the masterbath has a walkin and a whirlpool?

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Bloomberg just ran a story on current housing trends:

Paywalled, so I copy/pasted into the post bellow (hit the 10 attachment limit):
just use archive dot is

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Bloomberg just ran a story on current housing trends.

Paywalled, so I copy/pasted into the post bellow (hit the 10 attachment limit):
While I agree with most of what that article says, what it doesn’t take into account is what happens when people realize that yes Charlie Brown we are in a recession and people who would ordinarily sell their house to avoid foreclosure due to layoffs can’t find a buyer at a price above a short sell. People will be less mobile, less flexible and won’t move for that new job. Hell a coworker of mine has been offered a job with a 30% increase in pay, would only work half the hours we do now but after looking at the housing market has him hesitant to even consider the offer. The guy only has a 650 credit score, he’s probably looking somewhere between 7-8% interest rate today, no telling what it would be in 3 months.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Housing prices haven't really fallen because, like the article mentioned, people don't have to sell. Most of us have locked in low mortgage rates, we aren't looking to move/sell, so we just hunker down.

What will change is if we get into a recession where people start losing jobs. Then you will see people forced to sell their homes because they can no longer afford their mortgage, as low as it may be. Now, it won't be as bad as during the subprime debacle in '08 because rates were so much lower the last few years, but I think you are still going to see a sharp decline in housing prices next year.

I mean, I think we can all agree that the US economy is continuing to get worse. We haven't hit the bottom yet. Which means there is a reckoning coming. If you happen to be in the market to buy a home, I would wait, if you can, until 2023.

• 1Like