Home buying thread

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
2022-12-18 22.57.11 twitter.com e1bfd0b63755.png

2022-12-18 22.58.38 twitter.com 2ea7d0d501c2.png

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Put in an offer about 2 weeks ago. Was told the next day some dude offered straight cash for it. Wake up this morning to my agent calling me 10 mins after waking up. The original buyer deal fell through due to not having the cash and wanted to know if we still wanted it. Needless to say, they accepted our offer. Now comes the next 30 days of how the fuck are we going to move in 30 days from LA to Chicago. I already get to fly out during the week for the inspection. Having a 3-year-old while doing this is going to be so epic we will never want to move again. The average amount of houses on the market in the area we are buying in has been around 200-250 houses a month with single-digit days they stay listed. The past 8 months have been 50 houses. It's been such a stupid yet exciting ride. Just hope some shit doesn't happen and it falls through now.

I tried to get my wife into the idea this is just like standing in freeport buying and selling Yaks and Rubicite to not stress out. It hasn't worked yet.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What in God's name made you choose Chicago??

I know LA is a dumpster fire, but holy shit at moving to Chicago.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
What in God's name made you choose Chicago??

I know LA is a dumpster fire, but holy shit at moving to Chicago.
He obviously is Johnny Danger and the idea of possibly being shot on a daily basis excites him.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rais

Trakanon Raider
If you look at where I've lived the past 25 years- Orlando, Tikrit Iraq, Kandhar, back to Orlando, and then LA it looks like I live for danger and the final step is a city that has more murders than Iraq, Africa, and Afghanistan combined.

On a real note, most of my wife's family is in Chicago or the burbs, and mine have died off mostly. So when I say Chicago I mean an outer burb of there. I don't like the state and how it's run things, but the city outside of Chicago we are moving to has some of the best Public schools in the country, big houses, about 45 min drive from Chicago, and some land (wish there were more). It's an area that reminds me of my childhood looking at my grandfather while growing up. He was a VP of Raytheon and was like Mr. Burns keeping all his money to himself, and the area was full of DC high rollers, and although not on that level the houses and the area that they offer remind me of it 100%.

It's family that helps build the children up for success but I also know it's also who you surround yourself with that will also influence them. Having him around other successful families will set him up for a great life and mindset I think. Although he was born about 1/2 mile from Santa Monica beach I tell my wife when he turns 18 he's going to ask us to buy him a Van or something and move back to Santa Monica and live on the PCH to surf all the time.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I may end up in the YGWYD thread, but seeing how SF and LA run Cali I don't expect that aspect to change as much to where I'm moving. I think the other perks I'll have will outweigh the insanity.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Chicago has some real shitholes but you are probably living in the burbs? Everybody just says they live in Chicago (myself included).

• 1Truth!

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Chicago has some real shitholes but you are probably living in the burbs? Everybody just says they live in Chicago (myself included).
Yeah, it was originally going to be Lincolnshire, but it's to the southwest of Chicago if that gives any idea of the type of area we are moving to.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Id be careful of making any homeowners insurance claims anyway. We went out of town one weekend in like 2008 or thereabouts. When we came home the kitchen sink sprang a leak from one of the inlet pipes and the whole floor was soaked. Shitty part about it was it was a fucking Pergo like floor and that does not take kindly to water. Anyway I was going to take care of it myself but someone at work the next day mentioned, shit bro why not claim it on homeowners insurance. So we did. A person came out and inspected the damage, they made some calls and the next day a company came out and removed the bad floor set up fans all around the kitchen to dry the place out and the adjuster wrote me a check for like $5000.

The next week or so I get a notification in the mail that I was dropped by allstatre and to look for a new insurance company. Only one claim made by me EVER.
We had an insurance derail the other day in one of the Politics type threads, and I almost brought up that I'm basically a sucker with insurance. I'm not willing to make a claim because I don't want my rates going up; I hadn't even considered just getting dropped completely.

Like, on the house we sold in California we paid for the roof out of pocket. It was on year 31 and I figured it was unlikely they'd cover it anyway. But something that costs a few thousand dollars seems like an area where they jack my rate up a couple hundred and they make it back several times over, so why bother?

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, it was originally going to be Lincolnshire, but it's to the southwest of Chicago if that gives any idea of the type of area we are moving to.
If you have any weapons you have one year after the move to get your FOID squared away or Pritzkers jackboots will come a knockin.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Too bad I was boating off the coast the other day and capsized. I lost a lot of great things.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
LOL snopes?
Hence the shrug.
Seems they held it last minute anyway

also, updates to the bill from last week:

What Crimes Would Qualify for Detention?​

The list of so-called “forcible felonies” that could invite judicial discretion on pretrial detention originally included first and second-degree murder, predatory criminal sexual assault, robbery, burglary, residential burglary, aggravated arson, arson, kidnapping, aggravated battery resulting in great bodily harm, or any other felony that involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against an individual.

But the latest proposal adds non-probationable felonies, forcible felonies, hate crimes, attempts of crimes that are otherwise detainable, and others to the so-called detention net — crimes that qualify a suspect for detention. Additions include offenses that require jail or prison time, and not probation; all forcible felonies; hate crimes, animal torture and DUI causing great bodily harm. Judges may also choose to release such suspects.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If you look at where I've lived the past 25 years- Orlando, Tikrit Iraq, Kandhar, back to Orlando, and then LA it looks like I live for danger and the final step is a city that has more murders than Iraq, Africa, and Afghanistan combined.

On a real note, most of my wife's family is in Chicago or the burbs, and mine have died off mostly. So when I say Chicago I mean an outer burb of there. I don't like the state and how it's run things, but the city outside of Chicago we are moving to has some of the best Public schools in the country, big houses, about 45 min drive from Chicago, and some land (wish there were more). It's an area that reminds me of my childhood looking at my grandfather while growing up. He was a VP of Raytheon and was like Mr. Burns keeping all his money to himself, and the area was full of DC high rollers, and although not on that level the houses and the area that they offer remind me of it 100%.

It's family that helps build the children up for success but I also know it's also who you surround yourself with that will also influence them. Having him around other successful families will set him up for a great life and mindset I think. Although he was born about 1/2 mile from Santa Monica beach I tell my wife when he turns 18 he's going to ask us to buy him a Van or something and move back to Santa Monica and live on the PCH to surf all the time.
I almost was about to move to chicago, but thankfully it fell through, all it cost me was pre buying 2 guns just in case. My zillow search had to be within 15 min of the city and i had two searches, labeled white and more white, ithink you chicago ppl would know what hood im talking about, north of the city

Really slim pickins lookin for a home and not a condo of some sort

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This the same spot?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230101_191144_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230101_191144_Samsung Internet.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 26