Home buying thread

Rais

Trakanon Raider
No. The area I was originally looking in is one of two spots the well off bankers live. It’s pretty far from crime and from what I understand they actively look for people who don’t belong in the area.

Attachments

• 554C631F-AB5E-46A1-9D80-BCE4D83313E5.jpeg
    554C631F-AB5E-46A1-9D80-BCE4D83313E5.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Lincolnwood used to be very safe and is still safe-ish, but the area’s beginning to turn as crime continues to spread north d/t Mayor Gollum and demoralization among the CPD.

Lincolnshire is still nice, but Lake County taxes are the highest in the state (and IL is 2nd highest state in the country), so you will be paying for it dearly if you live there.

Winnetka and Wilmette are nice, but that’s Million Dollar Club+.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Good luck living in Gainesville then. Get your land and college girls with a pool. The wife will be happy when Tim Tebow stops by.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I would go space coast . If it’s your thing I think over the next 15 years it’s really going to grow with all the right people. You have a chance to stake your claim early. That’s just me.

• 1Like

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Florida real estate question. Been mapping out my eventual return to my sovereign homeland. Tracking properties and prices. Spoke to a broker friend and he says cost for an inground pool is about 50k to install. Wife doesnt care about the pool but I enjoy having one.

I ideally want a 0.25 acre+ with an in-ground pool in the areas I am considering. Also want a garage. I am flexible on all three but want at least two. Most likely this is my last house.

My guts says the land is the most valuable aspect and should be the one item I dont give up because i can potentially always add a pool but most likely aint adding to lot says post close.

Should also add its a cash purchase so I am limiting my purchase price. If I was doing a mortgage I could easily find all three.

Thoughts?
Your broker is an idiot. My friend installed a very large nice in ground salt water pool with nice features for 40k. 50k would be an absolute monster and totally unnecessary.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like Space Coast. The only downside is my mom is still in Broward. The added drive compared to Jensen Beach/Stuart/PSL is a factor but not a major issue.

I would be careful living too far south. Don't want to get infected by any lefty creep from broward moving northwards. I'd say the sweet spot is staying far enough north of broward and south enough from Jax that you don't get caught up in urbran sprawl and the politics and policies that follow it.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I would be careful living too far south. Don't want to get infected by any lefty creep from broward moving northwards. I'd say the sweet spot is staying far enough north of broward and south enough from Jax that you don't get caught up in urbran sprawl and the politics and policies that follow it.
That is my exact plan.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Your broker is an idiot. My friend installed a very large nice in ground salt water pool with nice features for 40k. 50k would be an absolute monster and totally unnecessary.
Or maybe the area my friend is in a metro area where prices are higher than your friend?

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Is that FL pool prices? Seems higher where I am. I’m budgeting about 80, but I’m looking at a pool house too.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
He heard it was MAGA country?
Family on the wife’s side. My job went full remote and the schools for my son are great. I have 0 property tax in the county I’ll be moving to as well. Most states suck, it’s the city you’re in. I’m currently in Los Angeles/Santa Monica. So going from that to a county that is opposite of the politics of Illinois is a big step up. Plus the area and the house. Most people would balk at the house I’m getting, but when you’re use to 2 bed 1 bath 1k sq foot homes selling for 3+ million it’s much easier to live with. No way I’m spending even half of that now on a 4K sq foot house.

Closing date is about 2 weeks out. Hardest part is not stressing some desk jockey won’t mess up the loan and figuring how to move across country with a 3 year old.

• 1Like

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, home buying adjacent question here. Bordering into something I already know I'll probably need to engage a lawyer for.

The scenario : The house my grandparents bought in 1956, where my mother, uncles, and myself were all raised in, is in a living trust under my grandmother's name (now deceased) with my mother (still alive) listed as the trustee along with my grandmother. It is the only remaining asset in the trust (my mother and uncles burned through everything else that was in the trust). Reading the trust documents it's clear that the trustee has rights to dispense any asset from the trust at their discretion, which is how my uncles and mother essentially emptied the trust in the 10 years since my grandmother's passing. The house is in disrepair, needs a roof, some mortar/brick work, a new bathroom, new floors, it's a mess. I want to take out a home improvement loan to do these repairs as part of me taking care of my now aging mother for whom this house is the primary residence. The three remaining beneficiaries of the trust are her, one of my uncles, and me. The other two uncles are deceased. My uncle and mother have both signaled that they're OK with transferring the house to me so that I can get the loan in my name (I'm the one of the three of us with good credit). I'm looking for fastest and easiest way to transfer a title. I found a quitclaim title transfer form for Dallas county on line, it looks like I just need to fill that out, have my mom sign it, get it notarized and submit it to the county clerk? Is that right? Has anybody else dealt with this?