Home buying thread

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Arkansas, outside of Little Rock, actually looked interesting, as they have low costs of living across the board, or at least did 5 or so years ago.

NGL - Native Texan here who shudders at thinking about living in another state, but I went on a weekend work trip to NW Arkansas a couple weeks ago and it was flat our goregeous, perfect weather for spring, beautiful hills, and from what the reps I support in the region say very low cost of living and prices relative to any metro area in Texas.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I spent some time in TN last summer for a wedding/camping trip and really liked the geography out there. It got pretty meth-ey in some places, but property looked cheap no matter where you ended up there.

Girlfriends parents live in san antonio so Texas is definitely an option, as they are getting older now and being within driving distance of them might become pretty important real soon. No income tax sounds baller as well

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
NGL - Native Texan here who shudders at thinking about living in another state, but I went on a weekend work trip to NW Arkansas a couple weeks ago and it was flat our goregeous, perfect weather for spring, beautiful hills, and from what the reps I support in the region say very low cost of living and prices relative to any metro area in Texas.

My guy, I support reps in AR as well and my first visit to Fayetteville was eye-opening. They have seen a huge spike in prices but it is still relatively low cost compared to other hot locales.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
My guy, I support reps in AR as well and my first visit to Fayetteville was eye-opening. They have seen a huge spike in prices but it is still relatively low cost compared to other hot locales.
Exactly. They're telling me what houses and such run for there and I'm thinking "Well. I could buy a 2 bedroom 1 bath trailer on a small lot in Dallas for that".

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Exactly. They're telling me what houses and such run for there and I'm thinking "Well. I could buy a 2 bedroom 1 bath trailer on a small lot in Dallas for that".
Or a double wide dumpster here in California.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean that would obviously be preferable except for the tradeoff that was the whole point of my post.

I've moved around a shitload, lived in most regions of this country.

I don't know of a red state with a decent climate. (also, fuck states without an ocean, not living there)
Only a year in so maybe missing some of the worse years examples, but so far green country region of oklahoma is pretty great. As a cold state suburbanite I still got what I needed done out in the heat, and if you arn't moving heavy shit, I think mildly humid heat was more enjoyable to be in than scorching high altitude dry heat. Now full florida humidity heat is indeed miserable. Winter was a short and mostly benign joke with plenty of 50-60f days on top of the few real cold snaps.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I hear Tennessee is kinda like Arkansas as well, but gets a bit colder than southern AR (TN actually gets yearly snowfall and shit).
not really cold at all, since i've moved here i haven't taken out any of my winter jackets, it has snowed twice? since i was here, i wouldn't even know how to shovel the snow from my pebble driveway, everyone just stayed in their driveways and only the kids went out to goto school.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Only a year in so maybe missing some of the worse years examples, but so far green country region of oklahoma is pretty great. As a cold state suburbanite I still got what I needed done out in the heat, and if you arn't moving heavy shit, I think mildly humid heat was more enjoyable to be in than scorching high altitude dry heat. Now full florida humidity heat is indeed miserable. Winter was a short and mostly benign joke with plenty of 50-60f days on top of the few real cold snaps.
I lived in TX for 7 years and my wife is from OK. I havent seen all of OK, but I've seen enough to know there is no motherfucking way I'd ever live there.

Fuck heat. If its over 100F ever, I'm fucking moving. There are plenty of places with climates that don't make me want to burn the universe down.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I lived in TX for 7 years and my wife is from OK. I havent seen all of OK, but I've seen enough to know there is no motherfucking way I'd ever live there.

Fuck heat. If its over 100F ever, I'm fucking moving. There are plenty of places with climates that don't make me want to burn the universe down.
3/4 of the state id avoid. But this north east pocket towards the Ozarks is green hilly and milder. makes me want to try some of those other little further north east poor states, but then you have even more joggers and even poorer than OK with more liberal governments, so this has been a fairly happy medium. Nice long cool spring has been great as well.

By all means take the flip of freezing blizzards shutdowns of Wyoming. Probably better state for politics, population etc. But I wanted away from wind and long shit winters.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Quiet. Also you were in my hood, what gives? I was probably coaching that weekend anyhow.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Quiet. Also you were in my hood, what gives? I was probably coaching that weekend anyhow.
I was up there to participate in Walmart's Sp4rkcon security conference. I did get to catch the Razorback baseball game against the Vols on Friday night though. That was a blast. Then the one downside of the visit was my lovely car getting pummeled with hail on Saturday.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I was up there to participate in Walmart's Sp4rkcon security conference. I did get to catch the Razorback baseball game against the Vols on Friday night though. That was a blast. Then the one downside of the visit was my lovely car getting pummeled with hail on Saturday.
That was a decent game to catch. We have great a great college baseball stadium. Good fan base too. Sucks about the hail, but at least you got most of the real AR experience in one weekend!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
That was a decent game to catch. We have great a great college baseball stadium. Good fan base too. Sucks about the hail, but at least you got most of the real AR experience in one weekend!
Yeah, the stadium and team there basically reminded me of what the minor league franchise in Frisco Texas is set up like. (The Rough Riders). Similar stadium, although the Rough Riders have two tiers of "suites", oh.. and a lazy river pool just outside the outfield fence. (You can get drunk, in an inner tube, watching baseball live... peak America right there buddy!) heh Loved the bits for different players they had going on.
1682436793984.png

• 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
I grew up in Tampa and went to UCF. I don't know if you could pay me enough to live in Orlando. Personally I'd live between Tampa and Ft Myers. Lots of cities along the coast or I-75.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, that's weird. Most boomers are retired at this point and wouldn't be buying a new house.

It's Gen X and older Millennials that locked in those rates.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that's weird. Most boomers are retired at this point and wouldn't be buying a new house.

It's Gen X and older Millennials that locked in those rates.
And good for them. I don't envy others. I'm paying 5 percent. But hell that's a deal in this market.