Home buying thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
i heard no matter where you buy a house in fl now, you need to buy flood insurance (unless you just buy it outright)
Nah, we didn't have it up until last week, and that was just for my wife's peace of mind. Cost us $450 or so for annual coverage.

You do have to have hurricane (wind) coverage though, at least where we are.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Soul has been signed away. Loving the new place already and I have only moved some boxes in. The garage access is gated by RFID tags. Building access. Elevator access. Rec facility access. All gated by keyfobs. Most of my neighbors are old, wealthy, or both. The lobby is like something out of a high class hotel. Fucking A it is nice. Fuckload of work when I wake up tonight moving shit over, but I am ready.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Soul has been signed away. Loving the new place already and I have only moved some boxes in. The garage access is gated by RFID tags. Building access. Elevator access. Rec facility access. All gated by keyfobs. Most of my neighbors are old, wealthy, or both. The lobby is like something out of a high class hotel. Fucking A it is nice. Fuckload of work when I wake up tonight moving shit over, but I am ready.
So it will be infinitely easier for the gubmint to lock you into your place for the duration of your quarantine during the next "pandemic". How very Wuhan of you.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Was it just a lease or did you actually sign your soul away? The apartment complex gets your next born? A pound of flesh?

Why so dramatic bb?

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Well, got all my shit moved in and got my internet set up. Been awake 24 hours and I am fucking tired.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
That is the plan, hopefully. Going to be looking for a side job this summer.

You should play with some amortization calculators and figure out how much every X.XX extra paid to principle saves you in interest over the life of your loan. For me, if I just randomly dump 1000 in it saves me approx three grand in interest. If I pay an extra 100 a month it saves me about 50 grand over the life of the loan. An extra 500 a month saves me almost 200 grand over the life. I find knowing exactly how much I save makes it easier to pay extra each month.

this one isn't bad

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Hmmm. There's a house for sale that's 300 yards away, that is "pending". It was listed at $1.1M. 2800 sq ft, 30x50 shop, built in '17, 4.5 acres. Modern farm house, so it's more updated than my place.

I bought my place for $515k. 3800 sq ft, 40x60 shop, 5 acres. It wouldn't take $100k to update my house to be as nice as theirs. Should I sell and get that sweet $500k of capital gains tax free?! Not sure what I'd buy. We'd have to downsize to buy in cash, as what I paid $515k for in 2020 now is apparently a million dollar house. My oldest is a senior in HS, so I don't technically need as much space as I have now... I could go without the theater room, billiards, etc.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hmmm. There's a house for sale that's 300 yards away, that is "pending". It was listed at $1.1M. 2800 sq ft, 30x50 shop, built in '17, 4.5 acres. Modern farm house, so it's more updated than my place.

I bought my place for $515k. 3800 sq ft, 40x60 shop, 5 acres. It wouldn't take $100k to update my house to be as nice as theirs. Should I sell and get that sweet $500k of capital gains tax free?! Not sure what I'd buy. We'd have to downsize to buy in cash, as what I paid $515k for in 2020 now is apparently a million dollar house. My oldest is a senior in HS, so I don't technically need as much space as I have now... I could go without the theater room, billiards, etc.
Maybe talk to a realtor before dumping money into it. It's possible in the current market, that your property can already go for close to a mil or they have cheaper ideas to get close to it. The market is always changing and many people would rather do their own thing, over your "updates."

The most frugal solution would be to buy a chunk of property and build a "barn" on it with a bare bones/minimal finish apartment in it. Move into the apartment and use the rest of the barn as storage for all your shit. Sell your current house for 1 mil, then use that money to pay off any loans and build a new house on your new property with cash. Expect for it to take up to two years, no matter what the builder says.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Signed contracts on the new house today. Met with a pool builder looking at custom options. Shit looked amazing. I will predict now that I blow my budget on the pool.