Home buying thread

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Ok, what the fuck does a $200k+ pool look like!?

I remember my parents had one installed in the 90s in FL. Roughly 40ft long and kind of jellybean shaped. Had a jacuzzi spa thing on a higher platform that waterfall dropped to the main pool. Spa was heated, pool wasn’t. That cost roughly $50k back then. Imagine that’s a $120k pool now? (Pulling that number out my ass)
About 25,000 gallons. Giant waterslide built out of gunite with a grotto underneath it. Elevated spa. Propane fire pit. About 2k square feet of concrete decking. 16'x20' pavilion with an outdoor kitchen.

These days a typical 15,000 gallon pool/spa combo with a nice big deck around it is gonna run $80-$100k. Start adding waterfalls, raised beams, swim up bars, outdoor kitchens, and patio covers to crack the $120k mark. I usually have two or three of those giant projects going at any given time. I would post pics but they're other people's property/privacy issues.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Yep. Family / people have been bugging me to do a pool, but the floor is about $80k for what I'd want. And that's just getting the pool house area pad complete, with the water / septic lines ran to it, and not actually adding the pool house yet. It's a lot more expensive than people think.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We had a pool at the first place we rented in California (Mojave Desert). It cost a fucking fortune, and that was with the owners footing the bill for maintenance. Don't particularly want one ever again.

We also put in an in ground pool for my brother in law about a decade ago. It was backbreaking work. Took about 3 months with about 3-4 of us working on it pretty regularly. The day we did the concrete we had all the women helping out too, doing an assembly line of people mixing, bringing it into the hole, and finishing it.

• 2WTF
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
We had a pool at the first place we rented in California (Mojave Desert). It cost a fucking fortune, and that was with the owners footing the bill for maintenance. Don't particularly want one ever again.

We also put in an in ground pool for my brother in law about a decade ago. It was backbreaking work. Took about 3 months with about 3-4 of us working on it pretty regularly. The day we did the concrete we had all the women helping out too, doing an assembly line of people mixing, bringing it into the hole, and finishing it.
Wtf? You dug it by hand and then hand mixed concrete instead of just shooting gunite? No offense bro but that is some ass backwards, Mexican, do it the hard way shit. Rent a backhoe for a weekend and then call a gunite truck in. All that extra work and you probably didn't save more than a couple grand.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
No, we had a backhoe. We did a concrete truck for behind the framing, but the floor we did by hand.
If you shoot gunite you don't frame anything. I'm digging a little one tmrw and will document this one start to finish and make a thread about it in Grown Up. Might be interesting to some of you guys.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think Beagle needs his own pool thread. (Not hate, just something I could see exploding with inquisitive questions.)

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you shoot gunite you don't frame anything. I'm digging a little one tmrw and will document this one start to finish and make a thread about it in Grown Up. Might be interesting to some of you guys.
I'd be interested in seeing it. That kind of stuff geeks me out for whatever reason. Especially when I can visibly tell "this is what the pros do and if they dont, they arent worth being paid!" kind of shit.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Hmmm. There's a house for sale that's 300 yards away, that is "pending". It was listed at $1.1M. 2800 sq ft, 30x50 shop, built in '17, 4.5 acres. Modern farm house, so it's more updated than my place.

I bought my place for $515k. 3800 sq ft, 40x60 shop, 5 acres. It wouldn't take $100k to update my house to be as nice as theirs. Should I sell and get that sweet $500k of capital gains tax free?! Not sure what I'd buy. We'd have to downsize to buy in cash, as what I paid $515k for in 2020 now is apparently a million dollar house. My oldest is a senior in HS, so I don't technically need as much space as I have now... I could go without the theater room, billiards, etc.
What? Downize? Are you some kind of Commie?
Friend has one of those. They require more pumping so the power costs are higher, but they're really nice to swim in.
friend of mine had one as well but switched over to chlorine a few years back. Don’t recall the details of why
Yep, I'll start it tmrw in the Grown Up section.
Seems like the kind of thing you throw in a youtube channel and get millions of views per month.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Could just be me, but pools that use salt seem to be less harsh on my skin.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Could just be me, but pools that use salt seem to be less harsh on my skin.
thats what a dude i knew back in ks found out, rather his son didn't break out into a rash so he retrofitted his pool, i forgot the cost, it was substantial, i've been in the pool pre and after and i didn't notice a difference. he said it makes an impact for someone who is reguarly in swimming in there (i only dipped in twice a year or so), cuz i think he says the ph goes up slowly rather than getting shocked by a dump of chlorine, i'm sure TheBeagle TheBeagle will say that's wrongish, i don't really remember

• 1Salty

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Salt water pools are much better for your skin and the water feels "softer". It's one of the main selling points.

Rising pH is a problem with salt water pools but it's due to the fact that when you split a molecule of NaCl (salt) via electrolysis, the aqueous Na+ ion forms NaOH : sodium hydroxide. NaOH is a very strong base which makes the pH rise.

• 2Salty

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Salt water pools are much better for your skin and the water feels "softer". It's one of the main selling points.

Rising pH is a problem with salt water pools but it's due to the fact that when you split a molecule of NaCl (salt) via electrolysis, the aqueous Na+ ion forms NaOH : sodium hydroxide. NaOH is a very strong base which makes the pH rise.
Splitting an atom then:

nuclear explosion GIF

Splitting an atom now:

Pool Swimming GIF by Yandy.com

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
What could go wrong?

Theres a gub'ment program in the works for people to put ZERO down. Just another fucking day watching idiots in politics make decisions that they might truly believe is helping people, but theyre too dumb to see that everyone and their mom is waiting for these people to fall on their face so we can come in and swoop up the property for 3/5 its value or less. (Another kicker here is, who do you think is paying these banks back for the defaults in this program?)

If any of you are interested in looking out for these houses so you can keep tabs on which ones are foreclosing - you have companies that have sprung up all across the US that pay gig workers to ride to peoples houses and take multiple pictures of the outside of the house and, at times, the inside of the house, the surrounding land/buildings, the entrance, backyard, etc. All you have to do is get on their "list" and you'll see what is "expected" to foreclose. Granted, these people could magically come up with the remaining amount owed - but lets be realistic here.

This is my local one, for example.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Did some quick day dreaming of how big of a house/land I could buy and squat on if I only had to put down 1%. The tultimate cut out and get out with timber property.

• 2Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can't remember if this is the thread people were talking about credit scores, but it seems the most likely.

Anyway, my wife checks hers regularly and she did it today and despite no changes to anything (it actually says this), her score dropped 18 points. The reason? We aren't paying our mortgage off fast enough, and people who don't are apparently a higher credit risk.

That's right. Paying our mortgage on time, in the full amount, is a credit risk. Our financial system is fucking retarded.

I will caveat this by saying her score dropped down to 810, and that our previous mortgage we did $100 extra a month (so one full payment). But our interest rate is so low that I see no reason to pay it off early.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I can't remember if this is the thread people were talking about credit scores, but it seems the most likely.

Anyway, my wife checks hers regularly and she did it today and despite no changes to anything (it actually says this), her score dropped 18 points. The reason? We aren't paying our mortgage off fast enough, and people who don't are apparently a higher credit risk.

That's right. Paying our mortgage on time, in the full amount, is a credit risk. Our financial system is fucking retarded.

I will caveat this by saying her score dropped down to 810, and that our previous mortgage we did $100 extra a month (so one full payment). But our interest rate is so low that I see no reason to pay it off early.
Our credit is determined by people who cannot run their own institutions.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users