Home buying thread

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Has anything ever reassessed down? Seems like you're just asking to pay more taxes sooner.
They tried to value my house I purchased less than a year prior for 100k more than I bought it for, using comps as justification. In my dispute I provided proof of how much I paid, attached with this note “something is only worth what someone is willing to pay, if you disagree fuck you pay me 300k for the house I’ll sell it to you right now for that much” They adjust the value to 200k. My favorite part of the ordeal was when the woman claimed I was cheating myself in the long run because people look at the tax assessments when they consider buying a house and it will hurt me lol. I told her “Do you know how stupid what you’re saying is, you know what never mind I’d explain it to you but I simply don’t care to waste my breath at this point on someone who probably isn’t capable of understanding why what they said is retarded” and hung up on her.

I’m sure whenever they reassess In however many years the value will skyrocket, which is fine by me but I’ll still fight it but in the mean time I pay less taxes and no one gives a shit what the county assesses the value at except for what they have to pay taxes for. County could say it’s with tree fiddy and I’d happily accept it, dumb cunt tax accessor.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Has anything ever reassessed down? Seems like you're just asking to pay more taxes sooner.
In my county they adjust tax rates every two years. Most people are getting a 25% tax increase from last year because of home prices.

If the market ever crashes can be damn sure the property taxes won't be adjust down.

• 1Solidarity

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yes we’re going through it now. Every 3 years you can appeal. For some reason they think our house has 3 fireplaces so that should be an easy win to get it appealed down, but have already been hearing stories of exactly what is being described above… houses assessed values are coming it at 100k over the price they were last time. I’m most likely just going to hire an attorney, they take a % of what they appeal and if they don’t get them lowered then you pay nothing.
There's a service you can get in DFW where they auto-contest your appraisal every year for you. You only pay if it's reduced. Essentially their fee is a % of whatever they get it lowered by. The problem is the city will try to push it up 15%, they will contest, take it down to 5%. You still pay 5% more in taxes, and get billed a portion of what they got shaved off. My next door neighbor used to do it as a side hustle, but stopped because he said it was too much hassle for the amount of money it generated.

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I cannot speak to how the tax grievance process works in Texas, but in NY the process took about 5 minutes and required a room temperature IQ to complete the form. Before offering to pay someone to do it for you, look for a "how to" guide or just look up the form and process in your area. It might be really simple.

Our was basically a simple online form where you populated "comps" to use as the basis for your claim and listed other reasons to lower your assessment. Basically just take Zillow to find comps that sold within 12 months, verify the sale price on the county tax appraisers website and then insert those comps (up to three examples). Then add other items like "my street has potholes", "I can hear the whistle from the Long Island Railroad from my house", "there is a drug house three blocks away", "I can hear highway noise or highway traffic runs down my road", etc. Make shit up.

All in all it took 5-10 minutes for our grievance and I won mine 6 straight times. Once it got hard to find comps they would just offer me what ever reduction counteracted that years increase. So if they have us a 6% increase, they would offer me a 6% reduction and make it a wash.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have a house with an apartment attached to the back of it for related living. Finding comps is going to take some creativity. So I’m leaning towards the letting someone else do it path.

• 1Like

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I cannot speak to how the tax grievance process works in Texas, but in NY the process took about 5 minutes and required a room temperature IQ to complete the form. Before offering to pay someone to do it for you, look for a "how to" guide or just look up the form and process in your area. It might be really simple.

Our was basically a simple online form where you populated "comps" to use as the basis for your claim and listed other reasons to lower your assessment. Basically just take Zillow to find comps that sold within 12 months, verify the sale price on the county tax appraisers website and then insert those comps (up to three examples). Then add other items like "my street has potholes", "I can hear the whistle from the Long Island Railroad from my house", "there is a drug house three blocks away", "I can hear highway noise or highway traffic runs down my road", etc. Make shit up.

All in all it took 5-10 minutes for our grievance and I won mine 6 straight times. Once it got hard to find comps they would just offer me what ever reduction counteracted that years increase. So if they have us a 6% increase, they would offer me a 6% reduction and make it a wash.
Texas is retarded because the sale price is not public info so they can literally make whatever shit up based on listed prices.

They assessed my house at 20% higher than I had paid for it 6 months earlier lmao - adjusted down once I provided proof of what I actually paid

• 1WTF

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Texas is retarded because the sale price is not public info so they can literally make whatever shit up based on listed prices.

They assessed my house at 20% higher than I had paid for it 6 months earlier lmao - adjusted down once I provided proof of what I actually paid
Lmao last house I bought the broker was like "the county will try and trick you into telling them the sale price several times. Under no circumstances tell them, it is legal for you to keep it private. If you tell them your taxes will probably double."

No joke they were worse than the sales manager at a big car dealer. They had it on several forms, lady called trying to chat it up, sent several post cards asking, bunch of texts and voicemail drops. You'd think they got commission.

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Lmao last house I bought the broker was like "the county will try and trick you into telling them the sale price several times. Under no circumstances tell them, it is legal for you to keep it private. If you tell them your taxes will probably double."

No joke they were worse than the sales manager at a big car dealer. They had it on several forms, lady called trying to chat it up, sent several post cards asking, bunch of texts and voicemail drops. You'd think they got commission.
Really wish it wasnt public info in Virginia. Not for tax purposes, but just so I dont have prospective renters tell me how much I paid for something and think they can set their own rent based on that. "If you're so fucking smart, then fix your credit so you dont have to rent in the first place you stupid fucking cunt." Hate/despise people that try to negotiate rent. As if I didnt fucking research what I should charge in the first place.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Really wish it wasnt public info in Virginia. Not for tax purposes, but just so I dont have prospective renters tell me how much I paid for something and think they can set their own rent based on that. "If you're so fucking smart, then fix your credit so you dont have to rent in the first place you stupid fucking cunt." Hate/despise people that try to negotiate rent. As if I didnt fucking research what I should charge in the first place.
do you get ppl saying, "bro i'm paying your mortgage!"

Creslin

Trakanon Raider

Negotiating in general seems fine, negotiating based on what you paid for the house though for sure is retarded... its like if you were selling apple stock on etrade and people were able to see that you bought in in 1981 for 11 cents a share so bitched that $3 a share was generous enough offer.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
In CA it's pretty braindead easy. Assessment is what you paid for the house, period, until the next time the house is sold.

• 1Like

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
In CA it's pretty braindead easy. Assessment is what you paid for the house, period, until the next time the house is sold.
That’s pretty retarded too. Tax burden sits unfairly on people who recently purchased. And it’s a massive benefit to corpo landlords if they can pay based original price and just own it forever with no increases.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
That’s pretty retarded too. Tax burden sits unfairly on people who recently purchased. And it’s a massive benefit to corpo landlords if they can pay based original price and just own it forever with no increases.

So you'd rather have perpetually escalating taxes? It's better for long-time owners and about the same as everywhere else for recent buyers.

Last edited:

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
So you'd rather have perpetually escalating taxes? It's better for long-time owners and about the same as everywhere else for recent buyers.
It seems like too large a benefit to long time owners. You could literally be paying 1/4th of the tax you should while the poor kid first time buyer next door is paying out the ass because the town is trying to squeeze every last penny out of new buyers.

The system is assessed value has flaws for sure but it seems far less flawed than a system that encourages people to never move because their tax base would get reset if they do.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Or, property tax is bullshit.

Of all the taxes we pay, I think building is sitting there is just about one of the most ridiculous.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It seems like too large a benefit to long time owners. You could literally be paying 1/4th of the tax you should while the poor kid first time buyer next door is paying out the ass because the town is trying to squeeze every last penny out of new buyers.

The system is assessed value has flaws for sure but it seems far less flawed than a system that encourages people to never move because their tax base would get reset if they do.

People would still move after they realized that the 15 dollars they pay in taxes because every one in town inherited from their ancestors wasn't enough to pay for basic shit like clean water... road maintenance... police... etc.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Or, property tax is bullshit.

Of all the taxes we pay, I think building is sitting there is just about one of the most ridiculous.

No bud... "you decided to be ambitious and make more money so now you owe us more of it" is definitely the most ridiculous

Especially since they aren't taxing the building. You get a depreciation schedule for that ever rotting pile of brick and wood. They are taxing you on the land it sits on. That's where the value lies

Like an NFT

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Property tax is largely fine as a concept imo. I mind it less than most taxes because atleast with town taxes I see actual benefits vs state and federal where they are just like lol we gave it all to our states capitol city or the feds who give it all to Zelenskyy

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
No bud... "you decided to be ambitious and make more money so now you owe us more of it" is definitely the most ridiculous

Especially since they aren't taxing the building. You get a depreciation schedule for that ever rotting pile of brick and wood. They are taxing you on the land it sits on. That's where the value lies

Like an NFT
It's not just the land though, or they'd only tax you on the land value.

I get the point you're trying to make though. Also, who's depreciating their personal home? The only time I've ever heard of buildings (capital) being depreciated is businesses.