Home buying thread

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Lmao last house I bought the broker was like "the county will try and trick you into telling them the sale price several times. Under no circumstances tell them, it is legal for you to keep it private. If you tell them your taxes will probably double."

No joke they were worse than the sales manager at a big car dealer. They had it on several forms, lady called trying to chat it up, sent several post cards asking, bunch of texts and voicemail drops. You'd think they got commission.
If you think the county appraisal districts aren't getting the sales data from the MLS in Texas I have a nice bridge I'd like to sell you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If you think the county appraisal districts aren't getting the sales data from the MLS in Texas I have a nice bridge I'd like to sell you.
Tweren't Texas but law was basically they had to use a valuation formula set by the state unless provided actual value by the buyer. They "knew", just couldn't do anything about it.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Tweren't Texas but law was basically they had to use a valuation formula set by the state unless provided actual value by the buyer. They "knew", just couldn't do anything about it.
The whole non-disclosure thing is pretty silly, because as stated the counties still get the data. That leads states to pass laws like what you're describing, which is even dumber. Heaven forbid we get accurate tax assessment data by utilizing the actual sales prices. I'm sure they think they're protecting the consumer from oppressive taxes, but they should just lower the taxes then rather than obscuring the assessment data.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
People would still move after they realized that the 15 dollars they pay in taxes because every one in town inherited from their ancestors wasn't enough to pay for basic shit like clean water... road maintenance... police... etc.
Don't you have a water bill? Don't you pay to keep your car registered and for gas? Not sure why home values should be connected to water and roads when we have direct usage methods to pay for those.
Police maybe, but if your home doubles in value, does it get twice as much policing? (or does the cost to police it double?)

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Or, property tax is bullshit.

Of all the taxes we pay, I think building is sitting there is just about one of the most ridiculous.
I'd be more open to it if it was done in a more equitable manner. No kids? Then you don't have to pay to send someone's crotch zombie to get shitty grades at the local indoctrination center. 50% tax bill cut right there. Police and FD with new BMW/Porsche in employee parking lot? Property tax is too high.

Better yet? Tax cap. $3k a year for anything. Retired folk making less than x amount a year pay nothing.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Don't you have a water bill? Don't you pay to keep your car registered and for gas? Not sure why home values should be connected to water and roads when we have direct usage methods to pay for those.
Police maybe, but if your home doubles in value, does it get twice as much policing? (or does the cost to police it double?)
I think rich people with no kids should get taxed double for not doing their part in creating the next generation.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I think rich people with no kids should get taxed double for not doing their part in creating the next generation.

Right, because what we need more of is trust fund babies raised by nannies. I'm fine with disinterested people not reproducing. Leave it to those who care.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Attorney emailed me that he received our buyer's "clear to close" for the house we are selling. Good way to head into the weekend.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Grande considering the house we are selling.
And no, they are putting 20% down and eating a ginormous mortgage.

Just got back from a conference where economists said everything was fine and there more money sitting on the sidelines than ever in the history of ‘merica.

Shocked they didn’t pay cash, but also happy they didn’t.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm no expert but wouldn't most reasonable economists perceive "more money sitting on the sidelines than ever in the history of America" as a bad omen?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm no expert but wouldn't most reasonable economists perceive "more money sitting on the sidelines than ever in the history of America" as a bad omen?
That's the neat thing about MMT, you can just say whatever since you don't understand how real economics works!

• 1Worf

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I find economists to be pretty retarded when it comes to interpreting the data they spend their entire lives studying.

I prob make more money than that dude and I’m not even 40.

He did provide his info tho, so I’m going to call him and ask him about Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes commercial real estate soapbox. I considered asking him about it in the session, but he talked to gd much I lost interest by the time he took questions.

He had 77 fucking slides.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not if they're trying to convince the money to stop sitting?
Make It Rain Bank GIF by Basketball Madness

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I find economists to be pretty retarded when it comes to interpreting the data they spend their entire lives studying.

I prob make more money than that dude and I’m not even 40.

He did provide his info tho, so I’m going to call him and ask him about Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes commercial real estate soapbox. I considered asking him about it in the session, but he talked to gd much I lost interest by the time he took questions.

He had 77 fucking slides.
I am either right or I am wrong. 50/50, baby.

gene hackman flip a coin GIF

• 1Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So the house on my street that was listed for 480 sold for 470. Some flipper bought it for 280 back in February. Thats 40k more than what the retards at opendoor where paying for houses last summer.

1692460872191.jpeg

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Talked to the GC building my house. He asked if I was cash or finance. I said cash and he asked if I two weeks worked for me? I said yep. He said as long as nothing goes south with the CO inspection he will tell the office the house will be ready in two weeks.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Talked to the GC building my house. He asked if I was cash or finance. I said cash and he asked if I two weeks worked for me? I said yep. He said as long as nothing goes south with the CO inspection he will tell the office the house will be ready in two weeks.
2weeks built?