Home buying thread

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Speaking of rents, saw a house when we were driving home for rent and was curious about how much. Wife found it, and it's $2150 at 1350 sqft. Our mortgage, in a bigger house we bought two years ago, is $1300 (incl tax/insurance).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Even without appreciation....

When you buy a house with a mortgage you're buying it in "today dollars", which then inflate, but your mortgage payment doesn't (unless you are an idiot and sign an ARM) outside insurance and tax increases. When I bought my house my mortgage payment wasn't that far off from what many friends were paying for rent for their places.. Now 20 years in and almost paid off I'm spending on a 2800 sq ft house less than an average 1 bedroom apartment will run you in the same area of town.
Same, my house is cheaper per month than most 2 bedroom apartments anywhere in North Dallas, and I have a lot more than 2 bedrooms. The taxes are not great as pointed out but you're paying property taxes either way if you rent, you're just also subsidizing your landlord.

The trick is you need to be stable in where you live, I've lived here almost 13 years now, and no plans to move. It'll be paid off in 10 more years (I refi'd once to a 15 year 2.2%... lol) and it has already more than doubled in value. Will likely double again before I move for a tidy 200% gain.

Buying this house was probably the best financial decision I ever made.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Same, my house is cheaper per month than most 2 bedroom apartments anywhere in North Dallas, and I have a lot more than 2 bedrooms. The taxes are not great as pointed out but you're paying property taxes either way if you rent, you're just also subsidizing your landlord.

The trick is you need to be stable in where you live, I've lived here almost 13 years now, and no plans to move. It'll be paid off in 10 more years (I refi'd once to a 15 year 2.2%... lol) and it has already more than doubled in value. Will likely double again before I move for a tidy 200% gain.

Buying this house was probably the best financial decision I ever made.
I'm in pretty much the same boat. Around $55k left on the house, been here for 20 years (also did a refi, but for me it was a 3% lock-in). House is already worth 3x what I paid, will probably be 4x before I sell it. Plan on buying land outside town and building there, then move there and rent this house until I am ready to liquidate it.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
They do own their condos. Just not the building or the land it sits on.

And it's only one step away from the people who think they actually own their land, when if they don't pay taxes, well...see where that gets you.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They do own their condos. Just not the building or the land it sits on.

And it's only one step away from the people who think they actually own their land, when if they don't pay taxes, well...see where that gets you.
well hoa fees is basically land taxes, if you don't pay the fees, they can take your condo, it's just that the hoa voted sell, so youre fucked

Last edited:

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
ppl who believe they actually own thier condo, lulz

"Buildings to be sold with just 80% of the voting interest"

80%

FYI, we can amend our Constitution with less percentages than that. Or remove a duly elected official via impeachment with less percentage than that.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I dont know, that whole thing is kind of sketchy and I would fight it even after the fact. Some super rich investor could come in and buy out the leading majority of the condominiums and then force a sale at a rock bottom price and it would be up to the remaining home owners to fight it in court, with limited funds. There is an acceptable level to the rock bottom price, Im sure - but the stipulations are probably based off what someone would buy the entire building for - which wouldnt equate to anywhere near the amount each individual condo would sell for, as its probably a scenario that when built, is a last resort in the case that no one wants to live there anymore.

I mean, Im just speculating - but there is probably way more to this story and the home owners that refused to leave have probably had more than enough time to fight it / get the fuck out. Either way, Im never going to support some rich asshole taking what rightfully belongs to someone else away from them. As that whole situation comes off as white collar theft.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
some1 make sense of these taxes
7392f2465c8caa612bcffb9a8ae9cc79.png

also lulz at the last pic

they own all that, and have a disgusting jungle

*edit, on research, thats an empty lot, why the hell is there an empty lot in san fran?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
some1 make sense of these taxes
7392f2465c8caa612bcffb9a8ae9cc79.png

also lulz at the last pic

they own all that, and have a disgusting jungle

If that's in SF proper I would say chances are the home had been owned by someone in a family and under homestead style property tax exemption for some amount of time capping the maximum amount of taxes. The home then changed hands, and that triggered a "reset" of tax assessment on the property which then took in the current actual market value and no homestead exemption. Of course I don't know California, and SF property tax intricacies so I could be randomly babbling insanity right now.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
*edit, on research, thats an empty lot, why the hell is there an empty lot in san fran?
If I had to hazard a guess, and its probably pretty accurate - they have a country mile long list of requirements for a new build. Something akin to what Blazin was talking about with his property, where it cost a quarter million, if not more, just to have proper land drainage etc in that San Fran lot. Knowing San Fran, you probably have to donate a million dollars to some LGBT fund or something, too.

Yea, we're just taking pot shots and theory crafting - but I somehow feel like we're not too far off the beaten path for whats really going on.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If that's in SF proper I would say chances are the home had been owned by someone in a family and under homestead style property tax exemption for some amount of time capping the maximum amount of taxes. The home then changed hands, and that triggered a "reset" of tax assessment on the property which then took in the current actual market value and no homestead exemption. Of course I don't know California, and SF property tax intricacies so I could be randomly babbling insanity right now.

it's not even an exemption, it's the way property is taxed in CA. The property is assessed when it is sold/bought and that's the tax payment (plus I think a slight inflation bump per year) until it's sold/bought again.

One of the few things they do right and will likely be changed for the worse by the end of the decade.

And since we're on the subject, there needs to be a constitutional amendment that your primary living property cannot be taxed.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
it's not even an exemption, it's the way property is taxed in CA. The property is assessed when it is sold/bought and that's the tax payment (plus I think a slight inflation bump per year) until it's sold/bought again.

One of the few things they do right and will likely be changed for the worse by the end of the decade.

And since we're on the subject, there needs to be a constitutional amendment that your primary living property cannot be taxed.
Run for President on the promise of signing an executive order stating primary living property is exempt from being taxed and over time wages can’t be taxed and you will in a landslide and preside in landfill.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
My city gets a huge chunk of its revenue from property taxes, most of which are primary living properties. How would you want them to replace those funds?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Some super rich investor could come in and buy out the leading majority of the condominiums and then force a sale at a rock bottom price and it would be up to the remaining home owners to fight it in court, with limited funds.
Grand Canyon Univeristy did exactly that 10 years ago. Used shell companies to buy up majority interest in condos adjacent to their campus then forced the remaining owners to sell.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My city gets a huge chunk of its revenue from property taxes, most of which are primary living properties. How would you want them to replace those funds?
Why start with the assumption that those funds need to be replaced?

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users