Home buying thread

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Certain industries are just built on scum. Car dealerships are one such industry. They fuck over uneducated people on an hourly basis. I have been shopping for a car for my daughter and when I ask the salesman "how long has it been sitting on your floorplan?" They look at me like "how does he speak the secret language?".
Yeah I just paid cash for my new car, a used Tundra, and the sales kid was like this. I don't blame the kid he was like 24 years old I told him here's your advertised price, don't add your usual dealership shit to it the only extra thing on the bill I expect to see is tax/registration fees. No, I don't want any of your other crap and you will not convince me otherwise.

He still had to run the numbers on the loan amount as the older finance guy straight came up to him and told him he had to. Then I saw it and said okay cool here I will now wire transfer you this amount okay? He's like "Are you sure? This is a good rate." Lol.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
It’s getting to the point that this isn’t exclusive to houses and vehicles anymore. Everyone it trying to jump into the installment payment (buy now pay later) industry.

No this isn’t made up:
View attachment 501194
Yeah I mentioned this some months ago. It's becoming a vocalized problem in Austin. As many of the bars started offering Afterpay. Where when you run out of money you can just run up the tab on Afterpay at a flat 0% rate. If you don't pay back in the time period they absolutely rape you on overage fees though.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The problem will be when those 40 year notes become commonplace in order to get people into houses. When that happens, many people will trade equity for affordability. 70% of all home loans are 30 year, and it is easy to see that people will rationalize getting a 40 "to pay it down later", while others will use it to get more house than they need, or the aforementioned people who need it to get into a house at all. In all of these cases, trading up or down will be off the table because there will be no equity to use to that effect.
Again, lots of people are stupid. Short of regulating humanity and taking away decision making, it's gonna be what it's gonna be. Just like there will always be people who chase the ARM because of "lower payments".

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah I mentioned this some months ago. It's becoming a vocalized problem in Austin. As many of the bars started offering Afterpay. Where when you run out of money you can just run up the tab on Afterpay at a flat 0% rate. If you don't pay back in the time period they absolutely rape you on overage fees though.
Bar tabs are as old as bars. The rest of the world just finally catching up.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Any advice on shopping a mortgage? Seems like a lot of people recommend sticking with someone local. Does that really matter though? Isn’t it likely my mortgage will just be sold to some servicer in a few months?

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Certain industries are just built on scum. Car dealerships are one such industry. They fuck over uneducated people on an hourly basis. I have been shopping for a car for my daughter and when I ask the salesman "how long has it been sitting on your floorplan?" They look at me like "how does he speak the secret language?".
There’s actually a way to see how long a car as been on a dealers lot. I remember because I was shopping a Land Rover for my mother in 2020. They were pretty surprised when I told them exactly how long vehicle had been on lot…

I can’t exactly remember how off the top of my head. Maybe it was running the vin through carfax or something.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Again, lots of people are stupid. Short of regulating humanity and taking away decision making, it's gonna be what it's gonna be. Just like there will always be people who chase the ARM because of "lower payments".
People are retards and really only look at the monthly cost. This is why it works. Anything that is sold on loan terms is marketed specifically to tell you the monthly cost and nothing else.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

People are retards and really only look at the monthly cost. This is why it works. Anything that is sold on loan terms is marketed specifically to tell you the monthly cost and nothing else.

When I am sick of sales and closer to retirement, I have seriously contemplated approaching the school district for a part time job teaching a year long basic financial literacy class. If only to help 30 kids a year push against this cycle.

• 5Like
  • 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Its a fine idea, but you can have a terminal degree in your field and a few decades of experience teaching, and you still arent allowed to teach K-12 until you have that goddam ridiculous certificate.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Its a fine idea, but you can have a terminal degree in your field and a few decades of experience teaching, and you still arent allowed to teach K-12 until you have that goddam ridiculous certificate.
How did the shop teachers and such in Oregon deal with this?

Given this was like 20 years ago when I was in Oregon K12 at this point.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
They get teaching certificates. Its required in OR. Maybe different somewhere else, and maybe different in the past, but as of now OR loves their fucking certificates.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
They get teaching certificates. Its required in OR. Maybe different somewhere else, and maybe different in the past, but as of now OR loves their fucking certificates.

When I get to that point, I am sure it will be a breeze to get that certificate. You have seen the type of mouth breathers that figure it out. I'm sure it will be fine.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I wasnt being clear.

The certificate isnt hard, of course. You're absolutely right, all one has to do is look at the people who get it. Its not at all a test of ability or knowledge or anything like that.

What it is, is ridiculously time consuming and 100% busywork. The kind of program no person with IQ above 70 can stand for more than a few minutes.

Its not that I'm saying you couldnt get the certificate, not at all. Its that you wouldnt tolerate what it took to get it. Neither will anyone I know who has any options for any other jobs.

The reason I know these details is because quite a few grad students I've worked with have explored this as a possible career step after grad school. A short term teaching position while they find the job they really want. Universally, they have all concluded fuck that. Its a process so tedious and tupid that not even a grad student can tolerate it.

We really have to look no further than the teaching certificate to find the root cause of the problems with K-12 education.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I wasnt being clear.

The certificate isnt hard, of course. You're absolutely right, all one has to do is look at the people who get it. Its not at all a test of ability or knowledge or anything like that.

What it is, is ridiculously time consuming and 100% busywork. The kind of program no person with IQ above 70 can stand for more than a few minutes.

Its not that I'm saying you couldnt get the certificate, not at all. Its that you wouldnt tolerate what it took to get it. Neither will anyone I know who has any options for any other jobs.

The reason I know these details is because quite a few grad students I've worked with have explored this as a possible career step after grad school. A short term teaching position while they find the job they really want. Universally, they have all concluded fuck that. Its a process so tedious and tupid that not even a grad student can tolerate it.

We really have to look no further than the teaching certificate to find the root cause of the problems with K-12 education.
Wrong thread I know but out of curiosity how long does it take and what bullshit do you have to do?

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I believe some states have dropped the requirement due to the difficulty in getting enough teachers, although those probably aren't the places where you would enjoy teaching. Not positive, but I think in some spots vocational-type classes can avoid that too. Another option would be independent Saturday or afterschool classes. That would probably be better anyways since then all the students would want to be there. Also, depending on you background, teaching at a small/community college might be an option

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
When I bought my truck I got kicked out of the office of the guy whose office they bring you into sign all the documents, his title escapes me at the moment. I paid cash, he tried to get me to buy gap insurance, acid etching, nitrogen in my tires and a couple other things. I told the cock sucker I’m not signing that shit and I’m only paying the agreed upon price, tax title and license and that he was the biggest crook in the entire building.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Wrong thread I know but out of curiosity how long does it take and what bullshit do you have to do?
My impression is 1 to 2 yrs in OR, without any major shortcuts available.

Second hand info but that's where my impression comes from

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Is this the home buying thread?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Imbecile
Reactions: 1 users