Home buying thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Do you know their downpayment? The guy could have had massive help from his parents and/or co-sign.
I don't know specifically what it is, but I gather it is between 5-10%. The guy is my brother in law and received no help, his girlfriend is like 37 and not receiving any help either. She did sell a condo, but from what I've heard she actually lost some money selling it.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
You can sell a property for less than you paid for and still walk out with a sizable amount of cash from the equity you paid over the years and use it as a down payment for another property. You may be right that they are headed for a catastrophe, but you may also be missing an important part of the picture.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Weird question - might not end up being relevant because I do have the cash to buy a house straight out when I'm ready (which has indirectly created the issue of ignoring my credit that the question results from) - but just recently tried to punch up my credit score via the annual request, and oddly with everything entered correctly all the "verification questions" are things that aren't relevant to me - is this a sign that I've been an identity theft victim?

Feels like it and not even sure what the steps to rectify would be, since I've been so credit unconcerned until now. (Would rather finance the house when we find the right one, now that we've got a feel for the area)

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I had very little credit history with a credit score of 805. Out of the 4 or so verification deals they ask normally only one at most would pertain to me. The one that popped up most often was having lived at my parents address 20 years ago or more. Once it was their phone number. The others I just clicked "None of the above".

At age 44 I had a 38 year credit history due to my parents and the company putting me on the card and then I just became owner of it over time. Never missed payments and financed one vehicle in that time and it has since fallen off my credit report, bought a house that I financed long ago but sold it long ago as well. The other two I paid for outright.

Just answer none of the above and see if it works out.

Vaclav

I did and it gave me a "you need to contact us via mail" thing including copies of ID and such. (literally zero of the 5 applied to me in my case - and other years 5/5 have applied)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I did and it gave me a "you need to contact us via mail" thing including copies of ID and such. (literally zero of the 5 applied to me in my case - and other years 5/5 have applied)
It's normal if you have a spotty credit history (reporting wise, from things like inquiries and creditor updates, not necessarily saying 'bad' credit). There are really a ton of factors that can put odd stuff on your bureaus, everything from typos to SLNs with shared addresses at different times overlapping reporting times to being listed as an authorized user on a card automatically that was in a roommate/spouse/parent's name. If it was closed in good standing years ago, may never have come up as an 'issue' but it is still listed on there.

I'd call the bureaus themselves and get your report mailed.

Vaclav

Oh, yea I'm definitely a "short file" - once debit cards from banks became a thing I trashed all my credit cards (that I rarely used before then anyhow) - and rented until I was gifted my house. (And always bought cars with cash/etc)

It's comforting though to hear it's not "that weird" - already got the forms done and ready to mail once I buy some stamps - but helped to relieve the anxiety in the meantime of "Oh shit, what do I do to reclaim my ID if it was stolen". Sounding like the odds of that being a thing are remote.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Oh, yea I'm definitely a "short file" - once debit cards from banks became a thing I trashed all my credit cards (that I rarely used before then anyhow) - and rented until I was gifted my house. (And always bought cars with cash/etc)

It's comforting though to hear it's not "that weird" - already got the forms done and ready to mail once I buy some stamps - but helped to relieve the anxiety in the meantime of "Oh shit, what do I do to reclaim my ID if it was stolen". Sounding like the odds of that being a thing are remote.
Can't be sure until you check your reports, but generally identity theft involves fraud with intent not to repay not just 'borrowing' credit history. So unless no creditor has your correct information and you are completely unlisted, you'd be receiving calls pretty quickly for past due/charge-off/defaulted things. It's just by that point it's a huge mess because generally they will max out your borrowing potential in short time frames not just "oh $1500 discover card offer!" for a few years.

Khane

Got something right about marriage

It's not weird to not use credit cards, but it's actually really foolish. You're throwing money away by not using them. Points, miles, cash back, deal portals, etc etc etc. You can use them just as you would cash, never spend what you normally wouldn't, but use them instead of using cash because they are more secure, offer a ton of benefits, and give rewards.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's not weird to not use credit cards, but it's actually really foolish. You're throwing money away by not using them. Points, miles, cash back, deal portals, etc etc etc. You can use them just as you would cash, never spend what you normally wouldn't, but use them instead of using cash because they are more secure, offer a ton of benefits, and give rewards.
That's the direct benefit - plus the indirect benefits of what you save when you get better rates from a higher credit score and better history.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My friends all use debit cards and i want to shake them. Just put it on credit and pay it off...are you really that out of control? And they've all had the cards stolen so instead of the cc company taking the limbo their checking accouny eats it until they get reimbursed

Vaclav

Depends entirely on your situation - I've got a wife with impulse control issues, that's bad at bookkeeping and was raised by parents that declared bankruptcy while she was living with them (and another time recently while she's not - might have even declared bankruptcy twice while she was younger, I forget - she was never taught how to properly handle money).

We've tried a few times letting her manage the monthly budget without credit involved - and every time has been a test run that ended in her screwing it up enough that we had to take $500+ out of investments in order to make up for the loss from her poor budgeting for that month. (And with a budget of roughly $4k a month, that's a pretty big miss even on the lowest end)

Shit, she finally started using a card Friday - she quoted me hours after spending $300 on it that we'd spent around $100. There's a ton for me to worry about.

(Remember I'm fixed income between disability and investment income - every screw up undermines the investment income)

And I don't think there's any benefits besides cash back that I'm missing out on - between my investments and debit card rewards I get most of the list. (And my Debit Card does accrue minor interest as well - so that's got some similarity anyhow)

I haven't used cash cash outside of a social situation kicking in for a pizza or the like in over a decade. I really only care about the credit score so that I get better interest rates on a home purchase - anything under $50k or so the math just works out better for paying in full rather than paying interest. (Maybe even $100k, not done the math in those ranges) The benefits of not having spawn that I need to worry about leaving something for.

Vaclav

My friends all use debit cards and i want to shake them. Just put it on credit and pay it off...are you really that out of control? And they've all had the cards stolen so instead of the cc company taking the limbo their checking accouny eats it until they get reimbursed
No clue what bank they're with - but wife's had hers stolen twice - and they never limboed our accounts at all. One time we got hit for about $400 or so on the card that got stolen and Wells had it back in the next morning before the investigation even finished. (Investigation took like 4 days before it was officially reversed - but the available balance was back the next morning when the banks updated for the morning)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Depends entirely on your situation - I've got a wife with impulse control issues, that's bad at bookkeeping and was raised by parents that declared bankruptcy while she was living with them (and another time recently while she's not - might have even declared bankruptcy twice while she was younger, I forget - she was never taught how to properly handle money).

We've tried a few times letting her manage the monthly budget without credit involved - and every time has been a test run that ended in her screwing it up enough that we had to take $500+ out of investments in order to make up for the loss from her poor budgeting for that month. (And with a budget of roughly $4k a month, that's a pretty big miss even on the lowest end)

Shit, she finally started using a card Friday - she quoted me hours after spending $300 on it that we'd spent around $100. There's a ton for me to worry about.

(Remember I'm fixed income between disability and investment income - every screw up undermines the investment income)

And I don't think there's any benefits besides cash back that I'm missing out on - between my investments and debit card rewards I get most of the list. (And my Debit Card does accrue minor interest as well - so that's got some similarity anyhow)

I haven't used cash cash outside of a social situation kicking in for a pizza or the like in over a decade. I really only care about the credit score so that I get better interest rates on a home purchase - anything under $50k or so the math just works out better for paying in full rather than paying interest. (Maybe even $100k, not done the math in those ranges) The benefits of not having spawn that I need to worry about leaving something for.
Beyond the rewards (which can be substantial especially when factoring in things like shop discover and equivalents), credit cards often extend warranties for purchases, offer price protection in the form of refunding price differences, travel insurance on things like bags when booking flights with cards, just to name a few.

Khane

Beyond the rewards (which can be substantial especially when factoring in things like shop discover and equivalents), credit cards often extend warranties for purchases, offer price protection in the form of refunding price differences, travel insurance on things like bags when booking flights with cards, just to name a few.
The shopping portals are the best feature. Even if you don't use the cards (or don't let your wife use them) you can still access all the portals which give some very, very good benefits.

Use this site to get an idea:

Cashback Rebates Comparison & Mileage/Points Reward Comparison

Some of those portals don't require any kind of membership, others do (and the credit card specific portals tend to have the best offers)

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider

lol get her a prepaid card with a limit.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
After about a serious month of this house-hunting nonsense I've decided finding the 'right' (not even perfect) house within any reasonable time-table is statistically improbable. Hell, I don't know if I'll find a merely acceptable house by time I have to seriously consider renewing my lease in April.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
After about a serious month of this house-hunting nonsense I've decided finding the 'right' (not even perfect) house within any reasonable time-table is statistically improbable. Hell, I don't know if I'll find a merely acceptable house by time I have to seriously consider renewing my lease in April.
You should of been seriously looking 8 months ago. anyways its almost spring which traditionally is when the flood of houses go onto the market. So just keep looking, but don't go desperate status and settle for shit.

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Corndog buys a house thread?

Anyways, had my first meeting to get a pre-approval letter this morning. Apparently we won't get the actual terms for a few more days.

What I am wondering is this. How can I find out the best possible scenario for a first time mortgage loan. What I'm getting at, is what should I be shooting for? 3.75% is advertised at my current bank as the low rate. but I see online that there is someone offering 3.625

Our credit score was 776, which our bank said qualified us for the best possible rates. Our debt to income ratio would be 25% with the payments they were showing at the 300k loan. Basically I want to know what the best possible achievable rate is, so I know if I need to shop around more than what they come back with. We're looking at getting roughly 300k for a mortgage which will buy a starter home in our area. Only have about 16k in cash to put down for down payment/closing costs. But save roughly 3k a month currently above our expenses.

Khane

Rates change pretty much daily so "best possible rate" is essentially impossible to answer. You want to look at the APR % on the loan which gives you closer to the actual price of the mortgage after fees and points (if there are any) etc etc.

A loan advertised as 3.5% might have such high fees or require points to get that rate that it may end up being more expensive than a 3.75% loan. That's why banks give you two numbers, the APY (which is the percentage on the loan amount) and then the APR which factors in all costs. Look at the APR when comparing.