Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
pretty sure, we're gonna be leaving, this'll be my first time selling a home

i put in pegboards and shelves in the garage, and a "rack system" for garden tools, ppl leave leave that stuff there right?

i also plan to leave my router there since it's also tied into my video surveilance, themostat etc, do ppl do that or just take all that stuff out and leave all the bare wires around?

20210512_175728.jpg

(well just a bit of cable management and it'll look cool, i was redoing some wires and i plan on at least taking that switch and subbing in a smaller switch, but the rest'll stay.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
pretty sure, we're gonna be leaving, this'll be my first time selling a home

i put in pegboards and shelves in the garage, and a "rack system" for garden tools, ppl leave leave that stuff there right?

i also plan to leave my router there since it's also tied into my video surveilance, themostat etc, do ppl do that or just take all that stuff out and leave all the bare wires around?

View attachment 353753

(well just a bit of cable management and it'll look cool, i was redoing some wires and i plan on at least taking that switch and subbing in a smaller switch, but the rest'll stay.

Include it in the wording of the sale as a benefit of purchasing.

Clean up the wires and you’ll be good.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arative

Vyemm Raider
The local news did a story on the real estate market here in st louis. Had a buyer on that said she lost on houses cause people were doing no inspection and no appraisal on houses.

I'm not sure how someone could get a loan on a home with out an appraisal. I sure as shit wouldn't get a house without an inspection.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The local news did a story on the real estate market here in st louis. Had a buyer on that said she lost on houses cause people were doing no inspection and no appraisal on houses.

I'm not sure how someone could get a loan on a home with out an appraisal. I sure as shit wouldn't get a house without an inspection.

If they're not getting appraisal it's probably cash

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>

Here in NY I've had 3-4 friends sell their houses in this market to purchase a new, larger home. Almost every sale has had multiple offers with no inspection. It's idiotic and insane.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No appraisal or no appraisal contingency I wonder? We waived our appraisal contingency when we bought our house.

But yes, our lender 100% required an appraisal.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
No appraisal or no appraisal contingency I wonder? We waived our appraisal contingency when we bought our house.

But yes, our lender 100% required an appraisal.
I don't know the way the news story said it, it was waving the appraisal and inspection. Not a contingency but then it's journalist so who knows what they actually meant.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Bought a house in February. They still haven't struck ground on building it but reached out to us today. They're waiting on papers from the city/state or whatever and due to Austin's immense growth rate paperwork is taking a lot longer. Also, they informed me that the base price from when I purchased in February is now $30k more already. Going to be sweet gaining all this equity without paying a cent for the next year it takes to get this house built.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I inherited a small house on 15 acres. Well 2br, 1 bath but it's 2,500 square feet with mulltiple living areas. I think my parents are going to move there and sell their house. I don't think the housing is moving much in their part of of the world. Rural area. I didn't have to pay inheritence tax on the house which was news to me. They all it the lady bird deed in TX she had passed you can put house in name of family member and when you die they skip the tax part with certain conditions.

May suddenly be in the buying and selling and shuffling some houses around. Too bad the boom is not on there.

Last edited:

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I didn't have to pay inheritence tax on the house which was news to me.

Estate tax doesn't kick in until $11.7 Million right now. It is likely to get lower with the democrats in power and also they are talking about getting rid of the stepped up basis so anyone whose parents are planning to leave them a piece of land or real estate you might think about getting them to sign it over to you sooner.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
do ppl include their home gyms when they sell? i have a fully padded area with a full sized squat rack/bench / treadmill, ellipitcal

call it a covid gym?

i'm sure i'll take away the ddr area, heh.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Neighbor had an open house today and the street was packed with cars and people wanting to look. Lots of Cali plates in the mix of cars. Their ask is $650. I'm guessing they will pull a little bit over that, which means I will at least get what I want + a little gravy.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Neighbor had an open house today and the street was packed with cars and people wanting to look. Lots of Cali plates in the mix of cars. Their ask is $650. I'm guessing they will pull a little bit over that, which means I will at least get what I want + a little gravy.
Which area do you live in?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Selling update:

Inspection was last Tuesday and my realtor was there for it this time. She said everything was fine and the other realtor was very happy. Then she told her that the buyers were coming in Friday to see the house for the first time. And I was like huh? Apparently they put in an offer site unseen. So that freaked me out.

Friday comes and they review the inspection and the house at 9am. I hear nothing. Saturday nothing. Finally Sunday at 1pm I get their repair requests and a copy of the inspection. To be honest it is very fair. Was happy with that inspector and what her caught. They didn’t even ask me to address over half of it which was surprising. Then my realtor says “Hey about a week out from close do your utility thing.”

I stopped and thought for a second about how to respond... Said “about a week? Close is in one .” And her response was just “Oh gosh I didn’t even realize the date!” From there I told her it felt like she wasn’t focused or providing any support for this process. Last time I called an electrician they were booked through June. No idea how to get a plumber, electrician, and contractor/roofer out to look at these things in a week.

Appraisal also hasn’t happened yet nor have I been told when it is scheduled. Really not thinking I’m making the close next week. Gives me more time to pack, have to reschedule movers, maybe figure out who can come and do repairs.

I’m 100% willing to fix everything it is just that timing sucks. My quick math estimated about $1,500 between the three functions, I rounded it to $2,000. They asked about the refrigerator so I valued it at $500. Offered $1,500 at closing for repairs. That was about 15m after they made the requests.

Still no word back. Don’t know if they were traveling or what. I have no idea what’s going on.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My guess is you're undervaluing your refrigerator (not that it matters too much). Having just moved across the country we got rid of almost everything since it's super expensive moving stuff that far. Huge mistake. The everything shortage means everything is super expensive.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
My guess is you're undervaluing your refrigerator (not that it matters too much). Having just moved across the country we got rid of almost everything since it's super expensive moving stuff that far. Huge mistake. The everything shortage means everything is super expensive.

Our sellers left us their nice fridge and range oven

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Oh definitely. It was $1,600 new when I bought it from Lowe's in 2012, still have the receipt. They can keep whatever they want honestly. The issue right now is timing and why it is taking them 3 days to get back to me on every little thing when I'm a week from closing.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Wife and I have been looking to move from PA to Estes Park in CO for a few years now. The price change since 2017 is just out of this world. We just got back from there and have decided we are just going to give up on that dream and buy some farm land here in PA. We are looking at 18 acres right now that I may put a contract on this week. Really nice rolling hill setting. The homes in the immediate area are just under a million.

Been trying to get with the builder and they are just so swamped that it's unlikely to be able to build anything anytime soon. The builder I like normally builds around 60 homes a year and the currently have over 100 people on the list. Have always wanted to run my own small homestead but the amount of money it takes really is intimidating. The taxes being the worst as we would be paying over $25,000/yr just in real estate taxes.

Last edited: