Home buying thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
so apparently the homeowner i'm buying from is "proud" of his house and my realtor mentioned to him that the inspector gave it a c- rating and he's really mad and we sent over radon, roof, electrical, hvac, plumbing guys and he wants to see the report

i'm like he could knock $500 off the house if he wants to see a copy of the report, cuz i paid for it.
People get funny about their houses sometimes. Those types are the hardest to buy from.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To make getting through the pricing process with the builder a little easier I had made a floor plan for wife and I to work with but have decided to go ahead and make a full 3d model of the house using sketchup. Never used the program before so will probably take me a few hundred hours to get the whole house done at the level of detail that I want.
View attachment 357360

May I suggest finding some older house you like and copying it? Older houses were actually built with costs in mind. For example having the kitchen/bathroom share walls to save on plumbing. VS running pipes into every fucking room of the house. Also having only a couple types of windows vs 4 styles. Less weird roof angles etc etc.

Also if you say what region/temp you are looking at some houses are way better for your enviroment.

Plus they all look so much better than the things designed today by people copying ideas and not understanding them.

How many bed bath you lookin to have? and what features?

for example this is actually a 4 bed 2.5 bath. With a designed in place for more storage or steps to a basement. Depending on your want.
1623288531858.png

• 1Like

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nothing particularly fancy. I'll post more pics as I get the 3d model done. Exterior style is a modern farmhouse.

View attachment 357383View attachment 357384

Oh i just now saw this too. You are upping your costs and issues a ton. By putting each room with a bathroom on opposite sides of the house on exterior walls?

There is a real reason that most Older homes had Crosser over/joint bathrooms. Either between both rooms with a door on each side like in the brady bunch. Or one nice one in the hall between 3 bedrooms. What direction is your home? Are you taking into account north/south/east/west and sun vs windows / energy costs?

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
so apparently the homeowner i'm buying from is "proud" of his house and my realtor mentioned to him that the inspector gave it a c- rating and he's really mad and we sent over radon, roof, electrical, hvac, plumbing guys and he wants to see the report

i'm like he could knock $500 off the house if he wants to see a copy of the report, cuz i paid for it.

wtf does that have to do with anything? Either he fixes the shit you want, knocks money off your close, or you pull out. Not like he’s going to decide to not sell it to you bc you insulted him. Sure there’sa fine line between telling him to do $50,000 worth of repairs and expecting that, but still. Both buyers for my house let me have a copy of their inspection to justify what they wanted me to fix (I also think they just had no idea what they were looking at so couldn’t ask without showing me) and I’ll provide my seller with a copy of mine when I request repairs or concessions. It is in our mutual interest to come to an agreement.

Did end up getting the inspector that raped me selling my house, hoping he does as thorough a job representing me. We’ll see Friday.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i learned this is called a jack n jill bathroom

Ah yeah okay. Also dont do a double sink. Use the extra counter space for something other than a hole. The kids would need a lot of space especially if you have a girl. You can take turns washing hands. plus again. Costs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
wtf does that have to do with anything? Either he fixes the shit you want, knocks money off your close, or you pull out. Not like he’s going to decide to not sell it to you bc you insulted him. Sure there’sa fine line between telling him to do $50,000 worth of repairs and expecting that, but still. Both buyers for my house let me have a copy of their inspection to justify what they wanted me to fix (I also think they just had no idea what they were looking at so couldn’t ask without showing me) and I’ll provide my seller with a copy of mine when I request repairs or concessions. It is in our mutual interest to come to an agreement.

Did end up getting the inspector that raped me selling my house, hoping he does as thorough a job representing me. We’ll see Friday.
nothing but his pride really, we only did pass/fail inspection and no contingencys (thats just how hot the market is in there)

we're taking the house anyway, as long as the structure and roof was fine, we'd take it, we have to rehab it and the checklist of shit to fix from the inspector is 2x as long as the one i got 4years again on this home.

i did learn that the initial 1owner house i'd wanted (and lost) is facing major structural damage. i saw "something" when i looked at the house, i thought it was just kitchen sink water damage and right next to it was a HUGE 1inch dip in the floor, and thought maybe just a floor jack or 2 would correct it. turned out the joist rotted away from mold...

cuz of these fucking crawl spaces, i'm learning that crawl spaces are the bane of these tn houses, they just trap in humidity and have wood eating mold come and eat the joists away.
(my current house is fine and the crawl space guy said it was actually really nice and just needed encapsulation to be safe, a 4k job)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ah yeah okay. Also dont do a double sink. Use the extra counter space for something other than a hole. The kids would need a lot of space especially if you have a girl. You can take turns washing hands. plus again. Costs.
my real estate agent said the first change i have to make is to change the masterbath single vanity to a double vanity b/c that really increases the value, and i don't disagree... too bad it's nice looking marble (i'm looking at double vanity marble replacement tops for 400ish)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Hmm, I just took out the double vanity in my bathroom and replaced it with a single. Do people actually use them? Do husbands and wives really stand next to each other brushing their teeth every morning? When I'm in the bathroom I want the place to myself and I would happily go the the basement or another bathroom for the privacy.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
my real estate agent said the first change i have to make is to change the masterbath single vanity to a double vanity b/c that really increases the value, and i don't disagree... too bad it's nice looking marble (i'm looking at double vanity marble replacement tops for 400ish)

Whatever increases value is what they show on TV programs where they butcher houses and make them unlivable. For example open concept vs rooms including a galley kitchen. Double sinks instead of more counter space or a vanity chair so the woman can do her make up easier. etc etc.

Just because something makes it "more valuable" doesn't mean better or more useful/easier to live in.

Especially when building out a home. Consider use vs "end value"

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Hmm, I just took out the double vanity in my bathroom and replaced it with a single. Do people actually use them? Do husbands and wives really stand next to each other brushing their teeth every morning? When I'm in the bathroom I want the place to myself and I would happily go the the basement or another bathroom for the privacy.
We have two sinks in our master and I'm really glad we do. Most mornings and evenings we are getting ready at the same time and the sinks get used for brushing teeth, washing hands, shaving, makeup stuff, etc. where we're open standing in front of them for 5-10 mins straight. It's nice to have separate stations to get ready in my opinion, and I like it a lot more than our place where we shared a sink. Plus we have young kids so there's always a need for an extra sink.

We also have a double sink that our girls share and they love each having their "own" spot, so it's been worth it just to avoid fighting over whose turn it is. I'm all in on the double sinks wherever multiple people are sharing a bathroom.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
do you ppl w/ fireplaces (i'll have one soon) really hang your tv above the mantle? i find that angle so horrible and uncomfortable, every house i saw w/ a fireplace had a tv (or mounts) above the fireplace.

• 1Like

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
do you ppl w/ fireplaces (i'll have one soon) really hang your tv above the mantle? i find that angle so horrible and uncomfortable, every house i saw w/ a fireplace had a tv (or mounts) above the fireplace.

They do that because fireplaces were supposed to be the center of focus so rooms/houses are often oriented in ways that make you feel like you need to be looking at it. However a Television shouldn't be hung above a fireplace because the fire will dmg it. plus its too high. A properly mounted television should be eye level with your main seating.

• 1Solidarity

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Offer accepted, buying a home in Caly. All inspections are doable - nothing big. Id mention what we're paying for a 4/2 (soon to be 3 bd, knocking out a wall) 1500 sqft home, but if you're in Caly you already know, and if not you'd never believe it. Could live like a king damn near anywhere else...

Hate fireplaces (here). All they do is suck up room and fuck up furnature placement. Be a different story in a colder state.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
They do that because fireplaces were supposed to be the center of focus so rooms/houses are often oriented in ways that make you feel like you need to be looking at it. However a Television shouldn't be hung above a fireplace because the fire will dmg it. plus its too high. A properly mounted television should be eye level with your main seating.
like,

where did you fireplace ppl put the tv b4 flatscreens were invented?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It was a major consideration in houses we looked at and probably 85% of them had no convenient way to set up a living room without mounting a TV over the fireplace and I refuse to do that because it is so dumb.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I fully understand that people have their own preferences, but have you all lived in big houses before?

I hated it. And our house wasn't even that big (about 2000 sqft). It's all just excessive space. Like a bathroom with lots of space to just walk around for...reasons?

Seeing people talk about 4000 sqft houses and I'm just like, what the fuck do you do with all that space?
Mine is 2600 before the basement gets finished, largest we’ve been in, for three and it’s just right for us right now. Allows me to have a guest room plus my own gaming/hobby room and a full office for the wife. kid and his buddies have a room and loft to trash every time they come over. Before she worked from home that front room was completely useless, just a room for her to put decorations and a random couch we didn’t use. It is a lot to clean though, 4K would be ridiculous. I have a friend with a 7600...just four of them. It’s fucking cavernous to me.

If we didn’t have a kid and weren’t working from home, it would be really overkill. Our first house was 1700 and when it was just two of us it was too big honestly. We had a useless front room, a useless junk storage room.

If it was just me alone I could probably be fine in like 6-700 sq ft. TV, pc, board game space, a table, toilet, and bed.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
like,

I don’t think every house had a fireplace like now. They actually had blank space to put a tv and stand in the 80s and 90s homes with fireplaces. Like every floor plan now is giant kitchen/dining/living room with a gas fireplace, nowhere to put TV but up there. I guess since the room is open being that high is by design so you can easily see it from anywhere? Idk. Mines like that and I’m not a fan of it being up that high.

Last edited:

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
like,

In another room. Or next to it?
Growing up our fireplace was in the corner so our tv was in a cabinet on the “main wall” next to it. I don’t know how to describe it. Then it just evolved with the tech and eventually we mounted a flat screen there.