Home buying thread

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Lots of people have asked me to draw up house plans for them just because I draw things on a computer. They get ticked when I tell them that's another skill entirely and there are people that know what they are doing that do that. Wut?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My brother designed his own house and even though he had an architect draw it up, there are things that turned out just weird. For example the downstairs bedrooms are huge, which seems nice, but WTF are you going to do in there? They have a recliner next to the bed like you're going to hang out in there reading or something, but that's what the living room is for. It's a waste of space and it just feels weird in there, even with a king sized bed. His bathrooms are laid out awkwardly too. One of them has the shower and vanity on one side and just the toilet on the other and this huge empty space. It's not hurting anything, but you just go in there and think "what's going on over there?". I don't think his house sucks or anything, but there are several oddities that probably wouldn't have happened if a professional did the design. It's just hard to visualize what a space is going to be like in the planning stage.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My brother designed his own house and even though he had an architect draw it up, there are things that turned out just weird. For example the downstairs bedrooms are huge, which seems nice, but WTF are you going to do in there? They have a recliner next to the bed like you're going to hang out in there reading or something, but that's what the living room is for. It's a waste of space and it just feels weird in there, even with a king sized bed. His bathrooms are laid out awkwardly too. One of them has the shower and vanity on one side and just the toilet on the other and this huge empty space. It's not hurting anything, but you just go in there and think "what's going on over there?". I don't think his house sucks or anything, but there are several oddities that probably wouldn't have happened if a professional did the design. It's just hard to visualize what a space is going to be like in the planning stage.

There is a reason that Architectural design for homes is more and more being considered a lost art. Poor layouts. Lots of empty space.

A perfect example is ask any real chef and they 100% want a galley kitchen to cook in vs this open concept with a shit island. One sells to normies. One is actually good.

Borzak

Friend in high school his dad designed their house and did the plans for it. They had to redo all kinds of stuff. "Looked good on paper", lot of doors were in odd places and opened the wrong way so they would jam into another door. They finally got it fixed but jeeze they spent 10x more fixing the shit than they would have if they paid someone to come up with the plans.

Wound up with a giant room nobody knew what to do anything with. He ended up storing used tube amps the picked up when they started getting scarce in the early 80's. I wish I had all those amps lol. But it took up 20% of the floor space.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Best idea for designing a house is don't. Pick an existing design that is as close to what you want as you can get and then make as few changes as possible to achieve whatever additional desires you may have.

At least you're starting with a good basis for a house before going off the rails.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I never understood the love for huge ass bedrooms. Who the hell hangs out there? Yeah there are days where you just want to lay around and maybe watch some tube when youre not feeling great or whatever, but those days are rare. Bathrooms same thing, maybe chicks hang out there for a while, but my wife has an extra bedroom for that shit when my kid moved downstairs to basement, lol. Waht do we do in there? 10 min shower? Maybe 15 min shit? Who hangs out in bathrooms?

My parents bought a huge ass mcmansion, probably worth close to 1/2 million now with a huge ass bathroom, jet tub, walk in shower, lol. No one uses that shit other than shower. I think they used that huge ass tub like 3-4 times in the 20 yrs they were there.

IMO its all about the kitchen, living spaces, and maybe the dining room if youre into that type of family shit. Thats where 95% of the waking living happens.

• 1Solidarity

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah I never understood the love for huge ass bedrooms. Who the hell hangs out there? Yeah there are days where you just want to lay around and maybe watch some tube when youre not feeling great or whatever, but those days are rare. Bathrooms same thing, maybe chicks hang out there for a while, but my wife has an extra bedroom for that shit when my kid moved downstairs to basement, lol. Waht do we do in there? 10 min shower? Maybe 15 min shit? Who hangs out in bathrooms?

My parents bought a huge ass mcmansion, probably worth close to 1/2 million now with a huge ass bathroom, jet tub, walk in shower, lol. No one uses that shit other than shower. I think they used that huge ass tub like 3-4 times in the 20 yrs they were there.

IMO its all about the kitchen, living spaces, and maybe the dining room if youre into that type of family shit. Thats where 95% of the waking living happens.
My GF spends a huge amount of time in her bedroom. She's either in there or in the living room. Her bedroom is massive. No kids though.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
You’re supposed to let her out and walk her every once in a while, dude.

Moving from my old house which had 20’+ open ceiling in the living room, I swore I’d never go back to that style of space. As previously mentioned it is terrible to cool (not “as” much concerned with heating but yeah, also bad) and while it looks nice it is one or two rooms worth of open space.

However, looking at houses everything felt small without it so I caved in a bought another one. Just gotta balance going with my gut vs my head and be okay with the trade offs I have consciously made. And not complain too much about it later.

Nice discussion to read though. Made me think about a few things while going back for the inspection this morning. Trying to get a list together of everything to double check.

swayze22

Elite
<Bronze Donator>
Just refinanced. Purchased home Q4 2019. Appraisal came in almost 20% above purchase price. Shaved ~1.75% off mortgage rate.

1623445991901.png

• 6Like
  • 1Tendies
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm actually thinking about selling my house and banking the money and renting for a year or two until my daughter finishes school. The eviction moratorium is going to end and I see a flood of houses hitting the market down the road. Prices here on Long Island in commute distance to NYC are insane and I can make $$$.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I'm actually thinking about selling my house and banking the money and renting for a year or two until my daughter finishes school. The eviction moratorium is going to end and I see a flood of houses hitting the market down the road. Prices here on Long Island in commute distance to NYC are insane and I can make $$$.

Better look at that rental market. My wife and I are looking and $150k homes are trying to rent at $450k mortgage prices.

Airisch

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With Hyperinflation and the purposeful wrecking of the housing market by blackrock You are 100% better off never selling or renting. Only buying more. Material goods will always beat fake paper currency.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You’re supposed to let her out and walk her every once in a while, dude.

Moving from my old house which had 20’+ open ceiling in the living room, I swore I’d never go back to that style of space. As previously mentioned it is terrible to cool (not “as” much concerned with heating but yeah, also bad) and while it looks nice it is one or two rooms worth of open space.

However, looking at houses everything felt small without it so I caved in a bought another one. Just gotta balance going with my gut vs my head and be okay with the trade offs I have consciously made. And not complain too much about it later.

Nice discussion to read though. Made me think about a few things while going back for the inspection this morning. Trying to get a list together of everything to double check.
yea, youtube has made me swear off vaulted ceilings

and weird ass inaccessible fixtures
giphy.gif

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm very similar to others here. We bought the house we did because it had enough bedrooms for all my kids, but every bedroom is just a reasonable size, including the master. The majority of the space is the common space - huge kitchen, dining room, living room, family room, so lots of "public" space. Haven't regretted it at all. No one needs a bedroom that big. Ours is pretty reasonable. Big enough for the bed, dressers, an elliptical, and not much else. All good.

Borzak

I looked at renting a house for a year closer to 3 or 4 larger metro areas to be closer to the medical facilities. I just couldn't swing it. Maybe in the future things will normalize. With the eviction crap I've heard a number of people are selling rentals now that the housing market is off the rails. Guess make hay while the sun shines.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Granted our situation is different (moved across country, CA to FL), but we bought for $240k in 2015. About 2100 sqft. Our monthly mortgage was about $1200.

Sold for $315k in April, and cleared about $94k.

Had a heck of a time finding a place in FL, but eventually found a 1700 sqft house for $1900 a month. It rented for $1500 in 2018, and sold for $160k in 2014.

Market is fucking retarded.

We're looking for a place to buy soon (impossible to get a mortgage in early retirement). The same $240k we paid just 6 years ago gets us about 1200 sqft now.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Let me know what you come up with. I’m in the same situation.
My location is a little different than most. Long Island is its own beast.

As to Blackrock, they are buying up properties in insanely hot markets. It's not a bad investment for their cash but carries the risk of them not being able to sell them all before the market crashes. Right now the equities markets are very difficult to find properly priced investments. It's also a sign they think the equities markets are going to correct before housing does. There is no nefarious scheme to fuck the middle class out of houses. Thus is just an unintended consequence of Biden and Fed keeping interest rates near zero.