Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
In the 80's the Japanese were buying up large commercial/office buildings.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yes this has been going on a long time. But you go and try and buy a house in Japan without at least being married to a Japanese or owning a business that operates there legally. In China you straight up can't. Non-citizens even on long term work visa can't even buy train tickets online.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The history of that was that, originally, the US essentially denied all the wealthy Hong Kongers from emigrating to the USA. Fearing communism or something.

British Columbia said fuck yeah and Vancouver, BC was Hong Konger land overnight. Later getting the rich mainlander Chinese too and 20 or so years of that it got really out of hand.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Well I didn't beat winter. We were pushing to try to get foundation in before cold really set in and we missed it by about a week. I'm more concerned with financial hit than worry about the time. Vendors wanting to hit us with cost increases on just about everything. Had to go ahead and order the trusses even though I don't even have a foundation because the costs just keep escalating. Unless we get a out of season warming period we are really stuck for next 4-6 weeks.

Building in this environment is about as god awful as you can think of, labor shortages, escalating costs, covid restriction delays, has just been a real PITA. House is going to cost me a small fortune when it's said and done.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Well I didn't beat winter. We were pushing to try to get foundation in before cold really set in and we missed it by about a week. I'm more concerned with financial hit than worry about the time. Vendors wanting to hit us with cost increases on just about everything. Had to go ahead and order the trusses even though I don't even have a foundation because the costs just keep escalating. Unless we get a out of season warming period we are really stuck for next 4-6 weeks.

Building in this environment is about as god awful as you can think of, labor shortages, escalating costs, covid restriction delays, has just been a real PITA. House is going to cost me a small fortune when it's said and done.
Im pretty sure the Germans felt the same away about being in Russia in winter. :)

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>

Any idea what it was going to be vs is going to be vs would have been 2 years ago?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Any idea what it was going to be vs is going to be vs would have been 2 years ago?
At least $100k more than pre covid so far, could push $150k by the finish in material cost. Labor costs I'm not as clear on maybe another $50k higher. Pre covid new home construction in my area was rather low compared to national avg around $180-200/sq ft. That has now climbed to $260-280/sq ft

With the acreage purchase I'll be at $300/sq ft but land kind of skews it compared to just looking at a house in a neighborhood.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The cost to build is at 300/sqft?

Holy fuck

I paid 60/sqft, give or take.

Fuck

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Why are homes so fucking cheap vs the reality of cost. Here I am looking at a potential remodel of my house now that it's closing in 20 years. And I'm thinking very deeply.... Why don't I knock this shit over and just start from scratch. Doubles the cost, but who fucking cares? Even at double the cost I'm still more than 50% under water. People are tarded.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Why are homes so fucking cheap vs the reality of cost. Here I am looking at a potential remodel of my house now that it's closing in 20 years. And I'm thinking very deeply.... Why don't I knock this shit over and just start from scratch. Doubles the cost, but who fucking cares? Even at double the cost I'm still more than 50% under water. People are tarded.
20yrs? are you the original owner?

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
20yrs? are you the original owner?
Yes. It's in good shape, though a lot of the original construction triggers me for being just too mexican. The problem I'm facing is that everything is just too affordable. Sure I could go the economical route, but going all in is still fucking cheap.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
The cost to build is at 300/sqft?

Holy fuck

I paid 60/sqft, give or take.

Fuck
The gap between existing and new is the largest I have ever seen it. You could buy a home built in 2000 for about $140/sq ft . Prices are climbing and things sell in days if not hours. The gap is unstainable and it's why I think existing home costs are going to keep climbing until they are just 15-20% from building new.

I don't think I would have ever even started down this road had I known where it would end. But I'm in deep enough the only exit is forward.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
The gap between existing and new is the largest I have ever seen it. You could buy a home built in 2000 for about $140/sq ft . Prices are climbing and things sell in days if not hours. The gap is unstainable and it's why I think existing home costs are going to keep climbing until they are just 15-20% from building new.

I don't think I would have ever even started down this road had I known where it would end. But I'm in deep enough the only exit is forward.

Nah dude, everything you have said about it indicates it's a forever home, with a great plot, etc

I'm jelly as hell.

Kudos to you, enjoy it

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Nah dude, everything you have said about it indicates it's a forever home, with a great plot, etc

I'm jelly as hell.

Kudos to you, enjoy it
I have to keep reminding myself that this is what decades of saving was for but for an avid saver it's a tough process to just get through. I fully intend to die on the land with gun in hand and hopefully a few commie notches on the belt, or they can choose to leave me be and I'll just crap out in the tractor someday in my old age.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I have to keep reminding myself that this is what decades of saving was for but for an avid saver it's a tough process to just get through. I fully intend to die on the land with gun in hand and hopefully a few commie notches on the belt, or they can choose to leave me be and I'll just crap out in the tractor someday in my old age.
My house is 12 years old now and I got it for an absolute steal. I'm in the same boat, do I eventually sell this house and move elsewhere and increase my costs 2-3X? Or just stay here? With the price we got it, we have already more than doubled in value. It's completely insane.

Fucker

Log Wizard
IMO, the cost becomes more palatable if you plan on staying there for a long time. I was looking at building, but the cost has gone up at least $150k which for me is a bad prospect because I am not in love with the area. For the total cost, I'd end up with something not special and I'd have to wait a while for it to appreciate into its build cost. Nah.

Fucker

Log Wizard
My house is 12 years old now and I got it for an absolute steal. I'm in the same boat, do I eventually sell this house and move elsewhere and increase my costs 2-3X? Or just stay here? With the price we got it, we have already more than doubled in value. It's completely insane.
The trouble with moving is finding a place to move to. The exodus from the west coast is sending property values all over the place through the roof. Repeat for the east coast. We found a few fully developed yet not packed areas to move to, and I think we'll do that. By fully developed, I mean all the land has long since been purchased and built upon, and there isn't any way for new development to spring up.

My house in Idaho was pretty much on the edge of the city, and now it is at the beginning of a lot of new subidivisions. The infrastructure can't support today's growth, much less the growth that is occurring there. It is turning into LA 2.0.