Home buying thread

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, that's weird. Most boomers are retired at this point and wouldn't be buying a new house.

It's Gen X and older Millennials that locked in those rates.

Gen X myself, but I know a lot of boomers who refinanced their homes from the horrible rates they were getting from earlier decades.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Shit, yeah, didn't think about refinancing. That's definitely true.

That said, the rates in the 2010's were pretty low. Our last house we bought in 2015 and it was like 3.5% or something w/ points. Current one is 2.7% bought in 2021.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Bought a new construction in 2020 at 4%. Refi'd to 2.875% in 2021, feels good man.

• 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I feel like I hit the lottery with my two mortgages, 3.75% in 2013 and 3% when we bought the new house in 2021.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Boomers? I locked in 2.5 in 2021.

Second best financial choice ive ever made now.
how do i even check my mortgage rate? is it listed on the monthly stub? (it just auto deducts from bank)

i got at most 2.5, but i wanna flex and say i think i got 2.4

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I had a commitment for 2.0% from a credit union and they did everything they could to drag it out so they could cancel it because this was in January right before the rates went up. Bunch of faggots. I personally blame Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes because these are people from his neck of the woods.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Was grumpy when i finally got my rate and the best I could get was 3.875 (up from the 3.25 it was estimated at when I signed the contract) in 2022. No longer grumpy when I heard rates went to 5%+ the week after I locked in.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I had a commitment for 2.0% from a credit union and they did everything they could to drag it out so they could cancel it because this was in January right before the rates went up. Bunch of faggots. I personally blame Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes because these are people from his neck of the woods.
I just got a quote of 5.9% with 50% down and 830+ credit scores. With the down the mortgage isn't large, but it's the idea of paying that rate for a few years that bugs me.

Fucking Obama.

• 3WTF
  • 2Rustled
Reactions: 4 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I just got a quote of 5.9% with 50% down and 830+ credit scores. With the down the mortgage isn't large, but it's the idea of paying that rate for a few years that bugs me.

Fucking Obama.
Thats pretty ass. That's why no one is selling anything, people don't want to go from their 3% to 6%.

• 1Truth!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
We are still below historical average.
Yes but the income to home price ratio is incredibly fucked up compared to the last time interest rates there 5%+.

Back in 2009 when I tried to buy a house as I was getting out of the military, I was quoted a 5% or so rate, on a $70,000 house. Today that same house would sale for $350k+, with a 6%+ rate. Hell even in the entire Phoenix metro area, what was once one of the most affordable places in the entire US Zillow lists ONE livable single family home under $350k. You start seeing some houses when you go up to 400k, the few available at that price point are mostly way out in the suburbs though. Who are these people who can afford 400k houses in very middle of the road neighborhoods? Even if you put 20% down, youre still looking at close to a 100k income to not struggle in fucking Glendale or Peoria. Insanity.

The price on everything has vastly inflated over the past 4 decades, except income. Really amazing weve been able to keep up with it and not be destroyed by it so far. History is gonna look back and see how horrifically fucked the American was economically post Nixon ditching the gold standard.
people have to get fired and foreclose
At the end of the day this doesnt get resolved without some serious pain in one form or the other.

What I think is really crazy is even in this era of high home prices + increasing rates is builders are still building houses/condos/apartments on every free piece of land around here they can.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yes but the income to home price ratio is incredibly fucked up compared to the last time interest rates there 5%+.

Back in 2009 when I tried to buy a house as I was getting out of the military, I was quoted a 5% or so rate, on a $70,000 house. Today that same house would sale for $350k+, with a 6%+ rate. Hell even in the entire Phoenix metro area, what was once one of the most affordable places in the entire US Zillow lists ONE livable single family home under $350k. You start seeing some houses when you go up to 400k, the few available at that price point are mostly way out in the suburbs though. Who are these people who can afford 400k houses in very middle of the road neighborhoods? Even if you put 20% down, youre still looking at close to a 100k income to not struggle in fucking Glendale or Peoria. Insanity.

The price on everything has vastly inflated over the past 4 decades, except income. Really amazing weve been able to keep up with it and not be destroyed by it so far. History is gonna look back and see how horrifically fucked the American was economically post Nixon ditching the gold standard.

At the end of the day this doesnt get resolved without some serious pain in one form or the other.

What I think is really crazy is even in this era of high home prices + increasing rates is builders are still building houses/condos/apartments on every free piece of land around here they can.
I assume most of them are bought up and rented out. Plenty of condos like that going up out here in Southern California as well.

Fucker

Log Wizard

I was in Idaho at the time. 1100 sq/ft houses in nice areas for $70-75k all day long. Any couple with any job could buy a house and a car and get ahead. At the peak of market madness, those houses sold for $400k. Now they are down $65k but still wildly overpriced in the $325k+ range.

I have since moved to NoWheresVille, WI. Basic homes are $220k+; doubled in less than 10 years. About $70k more than what someone with median income can afford. This is a linear real estate market in that the population has been the same; equal numbers of people moving in as moving out.

The county has some of its own land, and is going to develop it. Smallest home price they are considering? $300k. Also 1500 sq/ft houses minimum. Also on the table are $450k houses. Make one guess which will be chosen. Sure, it will greatly raise the value of my house, but it will royally fuck anyone working average jobs because they will be priced right the fuck out of the town they grew up in.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
in my area, the only house that isn't 2m+ is this house for 450 that just got a reduction, b/c
e09e8c1b5a44330876b4dc4a9507283b.jpg

yes, the kitchen is tri-color w/ unfinished tiles...

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
Florida market hasn’t slowed and prices have somewhat leveled off, but we aren’t seeing any massive drops in pricing. Inventory is still pretty low since most people with low rates turned into landlords instead of putting the homes on the market.

• 3Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Florida market hasn’t slowed and prices have somewhat leveled off, but we aren’t seeing any massive drops in pricing. Inventory is still pretty low since most people with low rates turned into landlords instead of putting the homes on the market.
I am searching right now in Florida and analytics showing 54% of homes selling in under 30 days in the area I am looking. That is actually down from 2022. Also showing still very much a seller's market.