Home buying thread

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
New house contract signed and processed. Just waiting on them to finish construction now.

• 7Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you shoot gunite you don't frame anything. I'm digging a little one tmrw and will document this one start to finish and make a thread about it in Grown Up. Might be interesting to some of you guys.
Love to see this get kicked off because I decided I hate my pool maintenance people and want to take this shit over.

Best place to buy bulk chemicals?
Best thing to store chemicals in?
Strips vs reagent tester kits?
I’ve got a hypochlorite generator and an automatic chlorinator. In the warm temperatures should I be relying mostly on the generator? I’m assuming I need to either run the chlorinator some or empty it so it doesn’t get clogged to fucking hell (like it is now)

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
With your disposable income and established retirement/finances, it's totally worth it to have someone take care of some of this stuff for you. Especially if you don't enjoy it.
I agree in principle, however currently I have (force) both kids (10 & 8) help with everything. I don't want them to grow up accustom to someone else doing everything for them. While virtually ever task takes longer currently every year gets easier and when they are out of the house my house should stay tidy. We do pay to have our windows deep cleaned once a year.

Here's my son "helping" with the 1st mow of the year. The only place I told him to stay away from, I went to the garage to grab the leaf blower and this is what I came back to.

FYI we had the swing before the fag flag took over everything.
20230407_112109.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My limited time working in a trade and dealing with tradespeople has not shown this as any kind of indication to the quality of work or behavior I can expect.

Hooray for equality?
It does decrease the likelihood of them being illegals and DeSantis deporting them though (slowing down my completion).

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
We've lost 2 or 3 at our plant already and I think 4 have put in their two week notice

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Love to see this get kicked off because I decided I hate my pool maintenance people and want to take this shit over.

Best place to buy bulk chemicals?
Best thing to store chemicals in?
Strips vs reagent tester kits?
I’ve got a hypochlorite generator and an automatic chlorinator. In the warm temperatures should I be relying mostly on the generator? I’m assuming I need to either run the chlorinator some or empty it so it doesn’t get clogged to fucking hell (like it is now)
10-4. Been a busy week.

Memorial Day week is usually the best time to go online and find deals on chems. Chem prices are through the roof since Covid and a hurricane wiping out one of the only plants that manufacturer chlorine tabs.

As long as your cyanuric levels are ok you can rely on the generator 100% during the summer. A couple tabs a month in conjunction doesn't hurt though.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
It does decrease the likelihood of them being illegals and DeSantis deporting them though (slowing down my completion).

Higher chance of methed-up carpentry, though.

In my bathroom remodel we found a bunch of floor joists that are an inch out of square over the length of the room. We weren't quite sure why until we found a stash of beer and whiskey bottles behind a retaining wall.

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Higher chance of methed-up carpentry, though.

In my bathroom remodel we found a bunch of floor joists that are an inch out of square over the length of the room. We weren't quite sure why until we found a stash of beer and whiskey bottles behind a retaining wall.
My new office is close enough for me to make daily visits after work. The last house that I had built from scratch the builder got the message and I had zero issues structurally.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
West of Ocala.
Never heard of that city, so looked it up and there is a lot of weird development that makes it look like one huge sprawling suburb in places, but there are very few houses on those roads. Was that all from the 08 crash? Like people buying huge tracks of land and spending the money to pave a bunch of roads, then going out of business?

Outside of those areas (even inside some of them), it looks really nice though. Some impressive horse ranches.

Also, are there a bunch of extra costs to try to reinforce houses against wind damage from Hurricanes, when your inland like that?