Home buying thread

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
G/f grew up in the area south of there around Lake Opopka. We were there in Ocala not too long ago to see her mom and its full of places where it goes from a really wealthy looking area, to the straight doublewide thats been there since the 70's. Side by side. Really confusing area in that regard, or at least the outskirts are. Each time we've went, theyve been redesigning entire stretches of roads too. So it always feels like Im taking different roads to get to the same damn area each time I go down there. Im not a fan of Orlando though, place is a shit hole.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
G/f grew up in the area south of there around Lake Opopka. We were there in Ocala not too long ago to see her mom and its full of places where it goes from a really wealthy looking area, to the straight doublewide thats been there since the 70's. Side by side. Really confusing area in that regard, or at least the outskirts are. Each time we've went, theyve been redesigning entire stretches of roads too. So it always feels like Im taking different roads to get to the same damn area each time I go down there. Im not a fan of Orlando though, place is a shit hole.
I think a lot of the beach towns are like that, mostly as a relic of where they came from and now new development as people flock to the areas.

For instance, I've mentioned my in-laws have a place in Orange Beach, Alabama. It's a single wide trailer on a double lot that they bought for like $40k around 2007 I think. Meanwhile down the road from them there's new builds selling for almost a million. There are tons of trailers and regular houses mixed together. But in the decade and a half we've been going there, the town has exploded in construction. It's barely recognizable.

Noticed it pretty much everywhere along the emerald coast.

Shit, the trailer across the street from them is renting for $2400/month. We'll probably eventually build something there (I'd like to do it now, but not sure how to finance it) because I like it better than where we are. Which is also rapidly expanding, which we're not huge fans of.

We see articles pretty regularly of best places to retire, or best beach towns, where we're always on them. So it's not really a surprise.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Never heard of that city, so looked it up and there is a lot of weird development that makes it look like one huge sprawling suburb in places, but there are very few houses on those roads. Was that all from the 08 crash? Like people buying huge tracks of land and spending the money to pave a bunch of roads, then going out of business?

Outside of those areas (even inside some of them), it looks really nice though. Some impressive horse ranches.

Also, are there a bunch of extra costs to try to reinforce houses against wind damage from Hurricanes, when your inland like that?
Ocala is serious horse country. Tons of horse farms. I am about half an hour southwest. Insurance really depends on age of the house, building material, and the roof/windows. All new construction is built to hurricane code so my insurance quote was surprisingly lower than I expected since it is new.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I see this too. Drive past multi-acre lots and see a double wide on it. Shrug, to each their own I guess. Most of them have Trump/Stars and Bars flags flying so they can't be too bad.

• 1Worf

Fucker

Log Wizard
I see this too. Drive past multi-acre lots and see a double wide on it. Shrug, to each their own I guess. Most of them have Trump/Stars and Bars flags flying so they can't be too bad.
Idaho was strange in that people would build expensive houses next to tiny old houses. Those were damn near all over the place.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
I think a lot of the beach towns are like that, mostly as a relic of where they came from and now new development as people flock to the areas.

For instance, I've mentioned my in-laws have a place in Orange Beach, Alabama. It's a single wide trailer on a double lot that they bought for like $40k around 2007 I think. Meanwhile down the road from them there's new builds selling for almost a million. There are tons of trailers and regular houses mixed together. But in the decade and a half we've been going there, the town has exploded in construction. It's barely recognizable.

Noticed it pretty much everywhere along the emerald coast.

Shit, the trailer across the street from them is renting for $2400/month. We'll probably eventually build something there (I'd like to do it now, but not sure how to finance it) because I like it better than where we are. Which is also rapidly expanding, which we're not huge fans of.

We see articles pretty regularly of best places to retire, or best beach towns, where we're always on them. So it's not really a surprise.
My house in Idaho was on the edge of town when I got it. Now it is at the beginning of McSubdivision after McSubdivision. I sold about 2 years ago. The woman who bought my house said the area is unrecognizable because every inch of farmland in the area was sold off and has been built up with houses on postage stamp size lots. The roads there can't handle that much traffic and simply going to the store a few miles away takes forever.

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My house in Idaho was on the edge of town when I got it. Now it is at the beginning of McSubdivision after McSubdivision. I sold about 2 years ago. The woman who bought my house said the area is unrecognizable because every inch of farmland in the area was sold off and has been built up with houses on postage stamp size lots. The roads there can't handle that much traffic and simply going to the store a few miles away takes forever.
Welcome to the future.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Welcome to the future.
It's already here. The county owns some land here and they are going to drop 100 houses on it. I don't care because it will make the value of this house go even higher, and we are looking for land out in the sticks to build a house on.

• 1Like

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

We looked at this place previously. Sold in 2020 for $1 million. Sold at list price of $1.75 mil in April. Re-listed 6 weeks later at $1.89 mil.

• 1WTF

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider
Ocala isn’t nice. Not sure why if you live closer to Tarpon Springs / St Petersburg, you’d claim Ocala as where you live. Unless you’re seriously worried about doxxing yourself.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Norfolk Virginia is number two on that list and for good reason. You only need to do a racial demographic overlay to understand why. Im curious if thats the case for the other cities on the list. As if the populations in those areas arent screaming from the top of their lungs that theyre encouraging gentrification.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

Norfolk Virginia is number two on that list and for good reason. You only need to do a racial demographic overlay to understand why. Im curious if thats the case for the other cities on the list. As if the populations in those areas arent screaming from the top of their lungs that theyre encouraging gentrification.
Yeah, I read this as 'the top 10 places not to buy a beach house'.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Ocala isn’t nice. Not sure why if you live closer to Tarpon Springs / St Petersburg, you’d claim Ocala as where you live. Unless you’re seriously worried about doxxing yourself.
I said west of Ocala because it's the largest actual city near me. And yes, doxxing did play a role in why I wasnt just listing my town.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ocala is serious horse country. Tons of horse farms. I am about half an hour southwest. Insurance really depends on age of the house, building material, and the roof/windows. All new construction is built to hurricane code so my insurance quote was surprisingly lower than I expected since it is new.
haha thats what my realtor said when i was looking in houses in brentwood, he said thats where ppl live who ride horses, i said ppl ride horses here? he said it's nashville, everyone who rides a horse or pretends to ride a horse lives in brentwood

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like I said. Although we don't live in Navarre, but close enough. It's going to be a shit place to live in a decade as every article keeps telling people to live here.
My brother just moved to Navarre, and while the beaches are stunning, it shares the same issue as Norfolk VA. Both of them have massive military presences. Norfolk has the largest Naval base in the entire world (and all the shit people / gov / gov contracting in that space). Pensacola area also has multiple base presence. Both are full of gov / military. There's a very legitimate reason property is cheap around these areas. .. or any military base in general.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well you obviously don't buy in an actual base town.

• 1Like