Home buying thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I make more than that on low income houses when people move in. No way she only made $200. If she did, you turned on the ol’ Lanx charm and dicked her down - or shes just a moron. If I've learned anything from real estate, the women realtors are very likely to be fucking retards making money for some dude you never meet. Its legal pimping, as I feel like they really do fuck their clients from time to time.
i wrote her a check for 200 (maybe 250???) cut i remember it was 3 checks first month, security deposit and her fee

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Realtors in todays world are useless and only exist to siphon money from sellers.
I mean I dunno. I agree most of them are worthless and even fewer are worth 3%. However, there are some good ones out there that do hustle. I'm more than willing to pay a few grand for the inside track in local areas, commuting and traffic, shopping and food, if a section of town is going up or down, the local diversity, etc.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Realtors in todays world are useless and only exist to siphon money from sellers.

Our realtor was the spaciest of space cadet airheads but she had been successfully buying / selling houses for 40 years in the area we were looking. She was actually the same realtor I used 10 years prior to buy my first house. She knew the history of every house in the neighborhood, had sold more than a few of them at some point, and knew every other realtor that worked these areas. She got us in to our house because she knew it was being listed prior to it showing up for everyone to swoop in on and submit initial offers.

Anyways, for every one of her I knew 4 bartender / only fans / hair dresser stylist / realtor that thought they were going to make a killing b/c the market was going crazy. Social media, Facebook, whatever was flooded with these idiots celebrating getting their license while at the same time begging for donations to their Patreon and GoFundMe during COVID. None of them lasted and either gave up or are back bartending. All women, by the way.

Right now we're struggling finding someone that deals in land purchases. I can find a few people that buy and sell land but they're more on the commercial side or farming side, and not really in the "let me help educate you as a first time land buyer and where you want to build your family home" side of the business. I haven't asked space cadet, she may have retired b/c we stopped getting mailers from her. She'd send out neighborhood updates twice a year on market conditions, what has sold, what has changed, and what's going on with the City. I wouldn't trust her to tie my shoes but she was a hustler and did work.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
The realtor I used is a friend of the family, but she's actually good. Plenty of horror stories of shitty realtors. When we came out from CA to AR we had 2 days to look at houses. We looked at 16 of them. I emailed her what we were looking for and a few things I found, she showed up with a lawyer binder thing with about 60 properties. We hit the ones I suggested first, got feedback on those, and adjusted on the fly. It worked out great, except for the termites uncovered during the home inspection... So we went to a rental that she got for us through her company, and found our 5 acre property due to the Summer of Love riots inspiring me to avoid towns, even in AR.

There's a reason she does $4M+ in sales a month, in AR, every month. Even this year.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this is like any industry, you want to get the one that is experienced and have that experience work for you, the bimbo in yoga pants ain't gonna find your dream home, but how would she even get started to gain real experience anyway?

it's like i read how 2 plumbers came in to do water heater work 1 worked on it and the younger one just looked for 15mins, finished then charged for 2hrs of time, 1hr per person.

like yea, youre paying for 2ppl, an apprentice to learn, who did nothing for you (but probably did all the grunt work beforehand), and they'll do it for 5years b4 they can strike out on their own.

noobie realtors should be like this, getting coffee for everyone and cleaning the floors and baking cookies (they say baking cookies for an open home is a cheat) for 5 years b4 they get their license

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I 99% agree with the caveat that if you are moving to an area you have never been to before they can be useful for their knowledge of the lay of the land. Assuming its a good one of course.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
c780fcefa2354079223d7b4131c720f9.png

• 2Paper Hands
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

It now costs $12,000 more per year to borrow against a house that costs 60% more.

That's just wild. The typical function of higher cost of borrowing is a lower purchase price, but that ain't happening bc of demand.

What I'm really interested in seeing in the next couple years is how much demand is being propped up w variable rate mortgages consumers believe will lower "back to 3%" or whatever after two years. And when they don't lower after two years, how many people are going to be upside down and backwards and wanting to gtfo of their house.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
What is the best case at this point? A slow correction that catches up to moderate inflation?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
0636d9da36f2132b257815c64e3acf43.png

are we betting halloween or thksgiving it hits 9? or it hits 10 on thksgiving

12% by new years?

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It now costs $12,000 more per year to borrow against a house that costs 60% more.

That's just wild. The typical function of higher cost of borrowing is a lower purchase price, but that ain't happening bc of demand.

What I'm really interested in seeing in the next couple years is how much demand is being propped up w variable rate mortgages consumers believe will lower "back to 3%" or whatever after two years. And when they don't lower after two years, how many people are going to be upside down and backwards and wanting to gtfo of their house.
You can get 5/7/10 year ARMs.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
And when they don't lower after two years, how many people are going to be upside down and backwards and wanting to gtfo of their house.

9.2% of mortgages last week were ARM, apparently. Seems like a recipe for being extremely disappointed. I don't expect to see 2-3% again ever based on the fact that the US basically has no choice but to inflate its way out of our debt. The 5.5% 30-year I pulled the trigger on in March is starting to feel pretty good now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caligula_The_Cat

Vyemm Raider

Lender recently tried hard to push me into an ARM. Told them I wouldn’t even consider it. Had to buy down to 5.75% rate.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
You can get 5/7/10 year ARMs.
Wild thing to me is that all commercial loans are ARMs and yet no real change in commercial prices/lease rates yet either. Guess will see what happens in the next few years, but I feel like we have to have a downturn sometime here soon.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
millenials heard all about those delicious foreclosures in 2009 and are just feasting to snatch 1 up
Majority of millenials werent in a position to buy a house in 2009 as they were mostly their first few years into a career. If they had one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Majority of millenials werent in a position to buy a house in 2009 as they were mostly their first few years into a career. If they had one.

Most of my friends bought their homes between 2015 and 2019. None want to move now that rates are so high. A few want to have more kids and have to decide not to have kids or buy more bunk beds.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user