Home buying thread

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
your local subreddit is probably just as bad, everytime some1 says something about home ownership, all the faggot ass millenials come running in complaining that they are forever renters

my neighbor now is gonna sell his home for 600k

he bought it for 400ish when i moved in, he says "god is great, the lord and his plan" (yea thats the type of neighbors i have, but i don't mind) cuz he's always moving every 5 years profitting off the increased value.

i have a soft spot for him cuz he's 73 and i've been taking care of his yard, hell i was even super nice and power washed his siding (it looked unsightly w/ the green sap on it)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If you were to pick any of the subs that represent the geographical area surrounding me, you would think the entire area is a democratic paradise with a gay pride parade every weekend, devil worshipping every night and a tranny book reading every lunch. Generally the same little group of people whether you pick a town from an hour away or a town in the other direction, too. But in reality, they would be dragged from the back of a pickup down the street at 3am if people could take the law into their own hands, here.

As far as property goes, Im not selling anything. I understand why that old man does it, and hes probably got a little loop hole in there for his age and taxes. But tenants are putting far more equity into my pocket, monthly, than what a lump sum would be. Thats not even mentioning the equity the banks see when I want to buy something else. I started to play with stocks a little bit, and even that just feels like a waste of time in comparison to just sinking those funds into a new property.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd love to see your numbers on that. I've done some rough estimates a few times and I've always come to the conclusion I'd rather just sell than rent if we ever leave this house. Granted, that's with the assumption the stock market will return 7-10% per year, which...I guess we'll see.

Although maybe part of the problem is that I'm not buying du/quad-plexes like a lot of the real estate people do?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'd love to see your numbers on that. I've done some rough estimates a few times and I've always come to the conclusion I'd rather just sell than rent if we ever leave this house. Granted, that's with the assumption the stock market will return 7-10% per year, which...I guess we'll see.

Although maybe part of the problem is that I'm not buying du/quad-plexes like a lot of the real estate people do?
I built an 8 apartment complex just over a year ago and thats the most profitable out of all of them. A trailer park comes in second, and then if we weigh it on a per unit basis, the condo's have the third highest return (after HOA fees.) The property management company I own puts me into a prime position to see what properties are worth dealing with and which ones are a headache, and of course jump on them if they come up for sale.

As for stocks, I was just stating that with the little knowledge I have - I cant compete with Blazin or anyone else on a healthy return. Even at my best, it was just guessing and thats just not how I like to play with money. Basically, I wasnt making a blanket statement - just that I feel like real estate is a safer option if you can get your foot far enough into the door.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you were to pick any of the subs that represent the geographical area surrounding me, you would think the entire area is a democratic paradise with a gay pride parade every weekend, devil worshipping every night and a tranny book reading every lunch. Generally the same little group of people whether you pick a town from an hour away or a town in the other direction, too. But in reality, they would be dragged from the back of a pickup down the street at 3am if people could take the law into their own hands, here.
The reddit admins systematically install leftist mods in virtually every sub. All of your location specific subs are super leftist to the point where there's no point in participating in them unless you're a leftist, which makes them even more of a circle jerk.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Goatface

Prices will start to go down and the supply of homes for sale will go up, she said Tuesday, reversing current dynamics that make the home-buying process difficult for many Americas.

The reason: a "silver tsunami" of baby boomers who are expected to start downsizing.

Citing AARP estimates, Whitney says 51% of people over the age of 50 — a group that owns more than 70% of US homes — are set to downsize to smaller homes. That would bring more than 30 million units of housing onto the market.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard about housing.

The median age of boomers is like 70. Those people aren't going to downsize. All the ones that were going to did around covid when they fucked off from expensive places like California and New York.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
  • 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

The median age of boomers is like 70. Those people aren't going to downsize. All the ones that were going to did around covid when they fucked off from expensive places like California and New York.
yea ikr, thats essentially what my old dude neighbor is gonna do, the house is gonna sell for 590ish and he's moving to bumfuck ohio where he grew up and getting a bigger house for 219 and he's like "maybe we can swing it for 210"

this will be his last move where he just lives off the profits of the increased value of the house (cuz he's fucking 73, lulz, his next move is to a cemetary)

• 1Like

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Yeah that article is full of shit. Wait till they find out that building a new home for half the sq. ft. is gonna cost them as much or more as the larger home is worth. IF they can find a lot (doubtful). Then they are going to overpay for the small home and keep an emerging middle class late 20/early 30 working family from moving into the area and bitch that none of the stores near them have employees. Because who the fuck is going to commute an hour each way to work at starbucks or the pack n ship.

I mentioned a couple pages back i work for a builder. Today he told me to stop scheduling new clients if their budget is less than $500k. Not worth our time for even a meet n greet.

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

Most of these experts, analyst, American Inventor faggots whatever you want to refer to them as, they are the dumbest fucking people on the planet Earth.

• 1Like

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah that article is full of shit. Wait till they find out that building a new home for half the sq. ft. is gonna cost them as much or more as the larger home is worth. IF they can find a lot (doubtful). Then they are going to overpay for the small home and keep an emerging middle class late 20/early 30 working family from moving into the area and bitch that none of the stores near them have employees. Because who the fuck is going to commute an hour each way to work at starbucks or the pack n ship.

I mentioned a couple pages back i work for a builder. Today he told me to stop scheduling new clients if their budget is less than $500k. Not worth our time for even a meet n greet.
Also if I want to downsize but stay in the same area, I have to try to find a smaller house that meets all my needs, is priced well, and is in the same neighborhood as my current house?

Yea why don't we just go unicorn hunting while we're at it.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
does she understand that these baby boomers need to buy the smaller homes if there is inventory? how can you downsize if there is nothing to down size to? there is still no iventory on 600k or less homes in my area
Not actually.... I have a real world case in point. My in-laws (Boomers in the 65-75 age range) just decided to downsize, and against my suggestion/coaching they decided to do it by just selling their house and moving into an apartment. They got a pretty penny for the house, but are now apparently going to be apartment dwellers for the rest of their days.