Home buying thread

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
It's impossible to tell if they're good at their job because they don't do anything.
Every job thats purely paperwork & minor logistics like this is gonna be replaced by LLMs and other robots and its gonna be hilarious.

If the only reason your job exists is to facilitate paperwork, your job doesnt deserve to exist and I can't wait til that day arrives.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

went to find this house, amazingly, not a lie

shitty 1600sq/ft home, but it's ca, so thats why

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Certainly not in defense of prices, but Riverside has been growing very quickly since pre-COVID. A lot of open land and new developments, the city has been cleaning up the shittier areas, there's a solid university, about 50 miles to the beach and decent snow, 40 miles to some really solid wine country.

It's basically desert, so no thanks. To each their own.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

It’d be $250k to $300k in a college town.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm kind of hesitant to believe those salaries, too. $65k was a shit load of money in 1999.
I made more than that in 1996-1997 before I even graduated college working in software development in Dallas. It’s good money but people were making good money back then too.

• 1Tendies
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I can believe the salaries, just not for a teacher. And the responses to that Tweet support that, as the average teacher salary in 1999 was in the $30k's.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Maybe in the 30K for starting in CA, but not as an average of all years of service.

Also, a bunch of data on averages by industry and state

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Used to be a time that teaching was mostly a womans job and her husband had a good job. Certain professions of men seemed to attract more wives as teachers. Every person I went to school with the went to work as a game warden their wives are all now teachers. If needing to move she could at least find a "job". A number of guys that are self employed that do I did are married to teachers. They make the money and their wifes job takes care of the insurance.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Dont care to listen to this fat fuck spew garbage for the entire length. He could have shortened that clip to a 1/3 of that and still got his so called "point" across. The shortage of housing is not because our boomer fucking parents wont sell their house and downsize. If there is a house for them to fucking down size too, guess the fuck what? There is a house for their child to move into. The idiocy of the paradigm is so fucking grating when it gets spewed over and over and over by fucking morons. If he at least said RENTALS, that might have been appropriate. But by 2030, over 40% of the market will be owned by hedge funds. So what, are we just blaming our parents like little bitches for "right now" because its convenient?

Is there a housing shortage? You bet your fucking ass there is. Especially when we have a flood of fucking migrants coming into the nation based on loose leases that should be illegal in the first fucking place. Never mind that local zoning laws, and similar "rules" restrict what can and cannot be built there. OR the fact that because of all the regulation, you get, as a developer, a higher return by building a 4-8 unit apartment building. Or the builds that start off at around 2200 square feet, instead of <1500 square feet. Where is the incentive to build small family homes that were the rage in factory towns "back in the day?"

Or we can dive deeper into this fucking mess and the fact that because the US is competing on the global stage, it has allowed businesses like Amazon to continue to thrive. Which should have been ruled a Monopoly YEARS AGO. Which the same can be said for Kroger, Walmart, Starbucks, and a ton of other companies that can all be found in your local neighborhoods. 30 years ago, you could start your own business on the edge of town and compete. More people would build a house around/near your business, attracting more business to the area and all of a sudden - Urban Sprawl happens. We arent getting that now. Communities are being developed, but theyre destroying the old developments to build the new ones. Replacing entire neighborhoods that would be mildly affordable to a low income person, that triple in cost to live.

The lack of housing is a fucking HUGE issue, and it can only be sorted out by the fucking retards we have in office. Because THEY make the rules. Im not going to point at my parents and have ill will towards them just because they took advantage of the opportunities they had. That in itself is just fucking retarded.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Area we operate, the city and county governments keep voting down multi-family zoning. There's only been one townhouse project opened in the last 5 years "starting in the low $400s" for 960 sq. ft. 2 bdrm with no garage. Ludicrous. Then again, our single family 2,200 sq. ft. homes are more like in the $700s right now. That's if you can find a lot that's actually buildable. Market inventory in this area has been dogshit for some time and has really affected us. I have more clients "waiting to find a lot" before they commit than we have actively building and in development combined.

The whole argument about boomers downsizing creating space in the market...it'll only make space at the top end, and those cash buyers will price out and overwhelm the small home market. It's a stupid argument and I'm sick of hearing about it. There has to be inventory for families making less than $100k a year or local economies are going to go belly up. I'm seeing "help wanted" signs pop up again in business windows as if we were back in the pandemic. Employees are being priced out of living where the work is.

Then again, i see the material and subcontractor invoices flow through and it's no wonder. Masonry material prices alone are going up again effective feb 1 (brick, block, stone, mortar). 3rd increase in the past year, and up 25% overall in 2 years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Area we operate, the city and county governments keep voting down multi-family zoning. There's only been one townhouse project opened in the last 5 years "starting in the low $400s" for 960 sq. ft. 2 bdrm with no garage. Ludicrous. Then again, our single family 2,200 sq. ft. homes are more like in the $700s right now. That's if you can find a lot that's actually buildable. Market inventory in this area has been dogshit for some time and has really affected us. I have more clients "waiting to find a lot" before they commit than we have actively building and in development combined.

The whole argument about boomers downsizing creating space in the market...it'll only make space at the top end, and those cash buyers will price out and overwhelm the small home market. It's a stupid argument and I'm sick of hearing about it. There has to be inventory for families making less than $100k a year or local economies are going to go belly up. I'm seeing "help wanted" signs pop up again in business windows as if we were back in the pandemic. Employees are being priced out of living where the work is.

Then again, i see the material and subcontractor invoices flow through and it's no wonder. Masonry material prices alone are going up again effective feb 1 (brick, block, stone, mortar). 3rd increase in the past year, and up 25% overall in 2 years.
don't boomers just have the big house until the grand kids turn 20 and stop coming over? but every parent loves having 5-10 grandkids over, then downsize to condo next to their favorite grandkid to be free great gran kid child day care.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

Wife has a friend that moved to Georgia, has 2 teaching masters degrees, and makes under 40k with copious amounts of student loans. For some sick reason she sticks to special education.

My house went up 150k since I bought it even 9 years ago. Sounds nice on paper, but I'd still not make anything selling and moving to a new one lol. Just thankful to have a mortgage that isn't going up like rent.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
don't boomers just have the big house until the grand kids turn 20 and stop coming over? but every parent loves having 5-10 grandkids over, then downsize to condo next to their favorite grandkid to be free great gran kid child day care.

No.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Right now we're around 1 year past the in laws hitting this phase (grandkids were all adult/late teen and not coming over much) so they downsized into a little place....

And I'm starting to hear stories from the MIL which tells me she's missing having a yard for their dog, space of their own, and not needing to rely on building wide water/electric stability.... But there's definitely no going back to buy a house now for them.

Looking like when we get our land in the country I'm going to need to be looking at 30-40 acres so that I can have space for relatives to build houses/park doublewides.....

Fucker

Log Wizard

Local county is going to develop on some land it owns. They could make the price $250k, but nah. More taxes to collect at $350k and $450k! No one local will be able to buy one. More taxes = more useless jobs supported by property tax and filled with useless people who will forever vote for the people giving them easy high pay jobs with tremendous retirement benefits.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bout to put an offer on a place before it hits the market. Obviously taking a risk but it ticks a lot of boxes for us. Anyone ever do this? I know I’m most likely leaving money on the table but this is an area where some faggot from China or the Middle East can swoop in with fuck you cash any moment because they have to park their blood money somewhere