Home buying thread

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Met with our agent/friend last night for the first time. He seemed pretty cool about the whole process, was willing to haggle for us, answered most of our noob questions. Should be a good process with him.

I told my wife not to fall in love with any houses, but of course she did, and it sold and she was depressed. Kind of felt like slapping her around a little bit.

They're building up a new cul-de-sac down the street from where we live so we're starting the search there. There's quite a few brand-new houses in there (raised ranch, colonial, etc) that look really nice and fit our range ($250k). Is there anything we should look out for when buying a brand new house in a brand new cul-de-sac?

dolaan_sl

shitlord
I would check the reviews online with the builders of the development. There is a company in the Rochester area who is building nice houses everywhere and they are built like absolute SHIT. My Realtor refused to even show her clients these houses and from the outside they look fine.

My only advise for home buying is if you have the luxury take your time. When I bought my current house we looked for close to 6 months. We had a house and did not need to sell it to purchase the new house so we just kept looking. I found a house online I loved that was a bit over budget and after 60 days they lowered the price and we still went in 20k below their asking and they accepted. Unfortunately it is winter and I bought the house for the 4.5 acres and I have barely seen it but looking forward to spring.

We fell in love with many houses during that time, but we made a list of thing we Needed, Wanted and would be nice to have in order to purchase the house and after seeing a bunch of houses we would sit down and fill in our lists. It was a great way to remove the rose colored glasses. The house we did buy did not have a Master bedroom which was on my wife's NEEDED list, so now that we have moved in we are having one built essentially making 2 bedroom and a bathroom into a master suite, so that is another way of evaluating the list.

Good Luck home buying can be a pain but it is also fun

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Noodleface, for some reason I seem to remember you saying something about living in Oklahoma. If that is true, I can tell you which builders to avoid.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Pre-approved for $200,000 for buying a home in Northwest San Antonio TX.

Or maybe it was pre-qualified? My mortgage company did the whole you are approved, but we can get you a stronger approval letter as soon as we get your bank records, and tax documents, etc. lol

I wish they would have told me the max I would of gotten approved for. Would have been neat to know, but we knew we wouldn't go over $200k so didn't even bother.

Current house in Phoenix AZ isn't even on the market yet, but these numbers are good for a little while, so we have some time.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I'm surprised they didn't tell you anyway. Even after the bubble and subsequent shit show a lot of lenders are still giving people ludicrous approval amounts.

I remember getting approved for $380k in 2009 and thinking "Are they fucking kidding me? I can't afford that kind of payment, house poor for a year and then homeless after that". My salary was only $75k/yr at that point and I am single.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When we got our mortgage, the bank wanted to deny us because my wife carried too much student loan debt. First I tried to explain to them that she has like 30 years to pay that shit back and $~200 a month is a lot different than the ~$800 a month retarded calculation they use... basically they assume you will pay it back in 5 years and ignore any attempts to explain to them your income based repayment plan.

Then I asked if we would be approved if I removed my wife from the mortgage, and they said absolutely I would be approved... as if that loan payment magically disappeared from our debt because my wife was no longer on the mortgage.

And no, this wasn't a different person... this was the same guy and this all happened in the same conversation.

Crone

When we got our mortgage, the bank wanted to deny us because my wife carried too much student loan debt. First I tried to explain to them that she has like 30 years to pay that shit back and $~200 a month is a lot different than the ~$800 a month retarded calculation they use... basically they assume you will pay it back in 5 years and ignore any attempts to explain to them your income based repayment plan.

Then I asked if we would be approved if I removed my wife from the mortgage, and they said absolutely I would be approved... as if that loan payment magically disappeared from our debt because my wife was no longer on the mortgage.

And no, this wasn't a different person... this was the same guy and this all happened in the same conversation.
Lol! With this job switch, my wife will be a stay at home Mom, and so she's not even on this loan like she is for our current house. Lucky me, as our biggest debts are under her name, so I'm looking like a star as far as the mortgage company is concerned. lol

And I agree, it's not official by any means Noodle until I get them more documents. But it seemed like pending any craziness I was going to get approved for $200k.

And things are still crazy. Friends of mine have a $160k mortgage on a condo. They bought at a bad time, and are renting it out in the mean time. Went in and got approved for $480k! They were like combined total with the $160k mortage we already have? They were like nope, in addition to it!
redface.png

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah it makes no sense.. we were approved for $350k which is absolutely ridiculous. That's with my $55k student loans, her $20k student loan, two car loans equaling around $20k, and a few smaller things.

My poor credit killed us on interest and stuff, so the thought was they could take me off the mortgage, but because my income is 2.5x my wife's income it just wouldn't happen.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Pre-approved for $200,000 for buying a home in Northwest San Antonio TX.

Or maybe it was pre-qualified? My mortgage company did the whole you are approved, but we can get you a stronger approval letter as soon as we get your bank records, and tax documents, etc. lol

I wish they would have told me the max I would of gotten approved for. Would have been neat to know, but we knew we wouldn't go over $200k so didn't even bother.

Current house in Phoenix AZ isn't even on the market yet, but these numbers are good for a little while, so we have some time.
That's pre-qualified. Already went over it before but unless you get something signed by an underwriter saying it's a commitment to lend then what you have in your hand is worthless when the time comes to move forward. I'm not saying to freak out, just don't assume there will be no bumps in the road is all.

Student loans are the same as any other debt, what is used to determine debt ratios is whatever is reported on your credit report. Nothing more and nothing less. It's why shit like cell phone bills never come up in regards to qualifying even if you spend an obscene amount a month, utilities don't report payment history to credit agencies. Unfortunately they do report collections but whatever...

As far as removing a spouse, this works on conventional loans as unlike FHA/VA they don't force you to count the spouse regardless of whether she's going to qualify or not. Nothing wrong with this as in theory you wife could file BK on her debts and it will have no affect on you.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Yeah it makes no sense.. we were approved for $350k which is absolutely ridiculous. That's with my $55k student loans, her $20k student loan, two car loans equaling around $20k, and a few smaller things.

My poor credit killed us on interest and stuff, so the thought was they could take me off the mortgage, but because my income is 2.5x my wife's income it just wouldn't happen.
Guidelines are standard and are backed by years of loss mitigation studies. Banks aren't going out of their way to give you debt that you can't repay as they want you making monthly payments for a very long time. Just because you can get more than you feel comfortable with doesn't mean the system is retarded, more that you financially have a limit in your head whether you admit it or not.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Guidelines are standard and are backed by years of loss mitigation studies. Banks aren't going out of their way to give you debt that you can't repay as they want you making monthly payments for a very long time. Just because you can get more than you feel comfortable with doesn't mean the system is retarded, more that you financially have a limit in your head whether you admit it or not.
Oh yeah? Is that how we got into our current predicament? With years of loss mitigation studies and good lending practices? You'll have to excuse me if I'm cynical that it magically changed overnight, especially when I was approved for something that quite literally would have made me house poor for the first year until my savings ran dry and then would have forced me into foreclosure AFTER all the regulation was supposedly put in place.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Oh yeah? Is that how we got into our current predicament? With years of loss mitigation studies and good lending practices? You'll have to excuse me if I'm cynical that it magically changed overnight, especially when I was approved for something that quite literally would have made me house poor for the first year until my savings ran dry and then would have forced me into foreclosure AFTER all the regulation was supposedly put in place.
I started in the business in 2000 and guidelines have never actually changed, for the most part. The difference is now you actually need to prove you make what you say, which is what caused the housing bubble from the mortgage perspective where you would have stated income/stated asset loans. When I was at countrywide I was doing 100% LTV stated/stated to $2.0mm, talk about crazy shit. But the thing you have to remember is Countrywide was selling this shit to people, they didn't have the cash to self fund all the retardedness. Without rehashing a very long argument every person had their hand out and it was only a problem when the music stopped. Hell if I knew what I knew now back in the early to mid 2000's I would have leveraged the fuck out of everything and be retired at 35. So many clients of mine got stupidly rich with no effort it's kind of depressing.

Anyway, as far as your whining about debt ratios. For almost 80 years FHA would give a loan up to a 55 to 60% debt ratio, VA still will. Nobody is forcing you to do anything and if you willingly decide to take a loan that gives you no disposable cash then that's your choice. There are plenty of people out there that do, I probably do at least 2-3 a month of them. They aren't in foreclosure within a year I can assure you that.

Crone

Is there a thought going into it that if someone has a cell phone or a house payment, for the most part they prioritize the house payment? I doubt it, since this is entirely subjective, but I always wondered about that.

And I remember reading those posts not too long ago Brando, and am fully aware that any kind of letter not signed by the under-writer is useless. I was just relaying what I had been told, and that it was nice to be approved for what we were looking for. Been through this situation before 2 years ago when qualifying for our current mortgage, and my situation is better now. I don't forsee any snags.

Then again, I say that now, and who knows, maybe next week I'll be back on this thread saying DAMN IT!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is there a thought going into it that if someone has a cell phone or a house payment, for the most part they prioritize the house payment? I doubt it, since this is entirely subjective, but I always wondered about that.
Most people would more than likely want to not be homeless and instead lose some cell service. I think the point he was making was that cell phone payments aren't recorded on your credit, so the bank really doesn't care (unless it goes to collections). They're strictly looking at your credit report, which won't contain things like insurance payments, cell phone bills, medical bills, etc.

We went and checked out some houses last night. I was really excited about these brand new houses in a new cul-de-sac.. when I got there was slightly disappointed. It was about 30 homes, all looked identical and were really close to eachother. I wouldn't even have minded if, but they were all the same exact color and everything.

Meanwhile, we saw a beautiful house on a 2 acre lot in a great neighborhood for $169k. Needed a little interior work, but otherwise fine. The real catch was the house was painted bright neon green. I'm starting to have a WTF moment with every house I see. Not sure why woman insist on having ALL PINK bathrooms including the toilet either. I know my wife isn't like that. If any of you dudes have pink bathrooms I feel for you.

Vinen

God is dead
Most people would more than likely want to not be homeless and instead lose some cell service. I think the point he was making was that cell phone payments aren't recorded on your credit, so the bank really doesn't care (unless it goes to collections). They're strictly looking at your credit report, which won't contain things like insurance payments, cell phone bills, medical bills, etc.

We went and checked out some houses last night. I was really excited about these brand new houses in a new cul-de-sac.. when I got there was slightly disappointed. It was about 30 homes, all looked identical and were really close to eachother. I wouldn't even have minded if, but they were all the same exact color and everything.

Meanwhile, we saw a beautiful house on a 2 acre lot in a great neighborhood for $169k. Needed a little interior work, but otherwise fine. The real catch was the house was painted bright neon green. I'm starting to have a WTF moment with every house I see. Not sure why woman insist on having ALL PINK bathrooms including the toilet either. I know my wife isn't like that. If any of you dudes have pink bathrooms I feel for you.
So jealous that you can live out that far. Arrrg, I want to not have a mortgage. Which towns are you seeing those prices in?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So jealous that you can live out that far. Arrrg, I want to not have a mortgage. Which towns are you seeing those prices in?
The $169k was in Freetown, which I don't blame you if you don't know what it is. It's basically between Taunton and Fall River and really small. The others are all in Fall River right now ($200-250k average for a new/newer raised ranch or colonial to give some idea).

Freetown is perfect because it's a very wood-sy town, the problem is the houses can be really old and/or dilapidated. Fall River has a lot of development, so there are newer houses, but all of the houses are really close together and the city of Fall River isn't known as being a great place to live (moderate crime rate).

We're also looking around Middleboro/Taunton/Raynham/Bridgewater - all about the same as Freetown with places like Bridgewater being way higher in taxes.

Also I'd prefer to live closer to work, but as you move that way the prices skyrocket like you said.

Edit: The good thing is although we weren't approved for a shit ton of money, at $350k we have a lot of extra money to really pick and choose the right house for us in this area. We're aiming at $250k but we aren't opposed to paying more for the right house.