Home buying thread

CnCGOD_foh

shitlord
Cad said:
You can protest the valuation, especially if it is inflated and doesn"t reflect the true value of the house. Look into it.
Its the new democrat way to raise taxes when it requires a vote otherwise. They know a tax increase will get voted down, so they jack up valuations. And they blanket reject protests... its a big issue in St.Louis county atm because north part county is populous and poor but elects the officials who stick it to everyone else. Its particularly nasty because it hurts older people who own their homes and to who a tax increase is a serious burden.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here in NC, we"re taking full advantage of the market as it stands now to get the best deal. We"ve decided to buy new and due to the current economy, especially with new home construction, were able to get all the incentives we"ve asked for, including a mortgage buydown paid for by the seller based on the low rates now. Plus we"re 1st time homebuyers so we"ll be able to take advantage of that tax credit.

I totally agree with having a payment no more than 20% of your monthly take home. There are additional expenses to home ownership which you have to account for depending on the age/condition of the home. In this area, the county just assesed (they do it every 7 years). In our case though since it"s new construction we"ll get an initial assessment after it"s done.

Kamven_foh

shitlord
I wonder if it"s different depending on where you live. I just finished school and got a good job paying 50k-60k a year; Which is good for 23. A cheap house in my area of Washington State is 200-300k. I just put an offer in on a house that was moved from 320k to 250k. I"m offering 245 plus i want them to pay about 10k in closing. The monthly payment will be around 1600, I take home 3500-4k which seems to be a very reasonable payment for me.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Kamven said:
I wonder if it"s different depending on where you live. I just finished school and got a good job paying 50k-60k a year; Which is good for 23. A cheap house in my area of Washington State is 200-300k. I just put an offer in on a house that was moved from 320k to 250k. I"m offering 245 plus i want them to pay about 10k in closing. The monthly payment will be around 1600, I take home 3500-4k which seems to be a very reasonable payment for me.
I know I can"t get anything that"s within 30 miles of a freeway or bigger than my bathroom for 20% of my income.

Housing market still hasn"t gone much of anywhere here. People can"t sell their houses for less than they owe on them, so the same houses have been sitting on the market, empty, for the same overpriced price for almost a year. If you want a decent house to raise a family in, you"re looking at 250 for nothing special here still. You can get a rambler or something for under 200, but honestly, you gotta be able to tell the kids to go downstairs once in awhile.

Kamven_foh

shitlord
Yeah this place is 1708 square feet, 3 bedroom 2.5 bath with 2 car garage. It was listed at 329,000 then 320,000 now 250,000. I"m single and it"s 10 minutes from work. Seems like a good deal.

chu_foh

shitlord
Kamven said:
Yeah this place is 1708 square feet, 3 bedroom 2.5 bath with 2 car garage. It was listed at 329,000 then 320,000 now 250,000. I"m single and it"s 10 minutes from work. Seems like a good deal.
You"re the reason the country is in this mess. As a single guy, why do you need a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath and nearly 1700 sq feet?

Buy something more along what you need. You"d need a wife and at least 2 kids to really make use of that house.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Kamven said:
While I wouldn"t say "you"re the reason this country is a mess" - I would say that I wouldn"t lock up so much of your paycheck in a house if you don"t need to. Buy a condo somewhere or something cheap since you"re a bachelor. When you get married and get a 2nd income, then you can afford/need a place like that. On 60k a year I"d be looking for some place in the 100-150k range, so that as you get raises/move up you can pay the place off quickly. With a 250k house, you"ll HAVE to get raises just to get above water, which means you"ll end up paying a lot of interest between now and then.

Just my .02

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
chu said:
You"re the reason the country is in this mess. As a single guy, why do you need a 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath and nearly 1700 sq feet?

Buy something more along what you need. You"d need a wife and at least 2 kids to really make use of that house.
Or a couple roommates who also want a place to live with a quick commute... in which case you"re well ahead of the curve.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I just refinanced my house, waiting on the close in about a week. Refinanced into a 1% origination, no point 15-year fixed at 4.5%.

The market is great

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I got a VA loan about a year ago now, and I am constantly getting notices in the mail from shady sounding companies asking me to refinance. As a rule, I ignore all spam, online and irl. But it seems like it may be a real possibility that I can do this so I may look into it.

Only issue for me is that I don"t have money for closing costs, so they would have to add that onto the loan. The house I bought was a foreclosure and I got a dirty deal on it but financed at 6%, so it may be worth it but I"m not sure.

The sad thing about this economy mess is that the average person with little or no financial knowledge (me) doesn"t know who to trust and ends up missing opportunities because of that.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
chu said:

I think you should wait for him to default before calling him a piece of shit, dont you?

As for buying a house and having roommates, it"s a sweet deal. Utilities help, and rent sometimes covers the mortgage if you"re in the right area.

But if you"re doing that solo, i fucking sure wouldn"t want half my income tied up automatically. You probably shouldn"t even get approved because after insurance, car payment etc your debt to income should be about fucking 1.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I still don"t understand how anyone with a job and a fixed rate mortgage gets behind on payments. Mortgage should be priority #2 behind food. I cannot imagine paying some utility or credit card or something instead of providing my family with shelter.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
chaos said:
I still don"t understand how anyone with a job and a fixed rate mortgage gets behind on payments. Mortgage should be priority #2 behind food. I cannot imagine paying some utility or credit card or something instead of providing my family with shelter.
+1

It"s mind boggling.

To put in perspective how good the deals are right now.. If I paid the minimum on my current mortgage - I would pay $604.99 a month which $163.18 would be principal. I generally pay an extra $300 a month to pay it down faster, so thats $904.99 a month to pay off $463.18 in principal. With the new loan and rolling the closing costs into it, I am paying $670.90 a month which $342.00 is principal. So for $121.18 more I can pay down the same amount of principal - for a payment of just $792.08.

namon_foh

shitlord
A $1600 payment on $3500 is not much under 50%. I know your range tops out at 4 grand, but when you plan for these always take the lowball to be safe. The magic number is roughly 30% of your income, and with you being single I"d definitely shoot for something smaller or more economical. I"m not going to go as far as say "you are the reason for this mess..", but really a household making ~$50k should not be looking at houses that cost a quarter million dollars. There are just too many variables that can happen real quick that could cause that 50% of your income to balloon to even higher percentages. You may be getting it for a steal, but I guarantee you the local municipality doesn"t take that value off their appraisal for taxes, plus you have upkeep and repairs, and if it"s in a neighborhood any HOA fees. You are doing good for yourself at this point, I"d hate to see someone in your position sink in over their head because you jumped the gun. Personally, if I were in your shoes I"d find as cheap ass of a place I could to rent, buy a used car cash, and pour every last bit of my income into savings. In 2-5 years you could buy a house like that, and have enough of a down payment to have sizable equity, and you"d be what? 28?

^ that be what I am doing. I am renting a cheap apartment (360 rent, its decent enough quality but the management sucks when something breaks so slow) and saving like a mofo, I make as much as him. I have only been working for 6 months and have enough banked to pay for a decent new car in cash. If I do this for 2 more years I"ll be exactly where you said.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
A simple mortgage calc at 4.5% on $250k principal (I didn"t see any mention of a large down payment) with $6000/yr tax, $1500/yr insurance, the payment is $1875/mo. And if you pay it off over the life of the loan, it"s $149k in interest. You don"t go over $400/mo principal payments until year 4, and even then just barely.

Thats fucking gay, especially since you won"t have spare cash left over to make extra payments, so you"ll pay all of that interest. That is NOT what you should do, sir.

Stil_foh

shitlord
See, I"m going to jump in here and respectfully disagree. At 25 with more than my 20% downpayment, I decided to go for something within my price range and needs. I now own a 250k (welcome to Chicago) condo that is well within my means (I pay ~1600 a month out of ~4400 at a fixed ~5%).

And now I"m almost 29, starting to think family, starting to think kids... and I"m still stuck in this condo. My condo is in a building with ~160 units, about 25% are on the market- and have been for at least 6 months. There is no way I can get out of my condo, even if I put it on the market under what I have left to pay in principal.

So I"m going to be a rebel. I"m going to give the following advice. Never buy a place for your current lifestyle. Buy a place where regardless of what your future might bring (and I emphasize *REGARDLESS*) you can envision your dwelling working.

Never rely on "moving when you need something bigger" or you might end up stuck where you don"t want to be. Obviously I don"t support buying *past* your means, but I also wouldn"t recommend ever treating real estate as an asset anymore. Don"t factor in moving your current unit to upgrade to the next one, cause that cycle has been broken. Instead buy as if it was to be yours for the rest of your life, and feel lucky if the market supports "upgrading."

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
That"s a pretty silly opinion. Just because the market has gone in the shitter for a year or two, you advocate making buying decisions on the assumption that it will ALWAYS be in the shitter?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Stil said:
Never rely on "moving when you need something bigger" or you might end up stuck where you don"t want to be. Obviously I don"t support buying *past* your means, but I also wouldn"t recommend ever treating real estate as an asset anymore. Don"t factor in moving your current unit to upgrade to the next one, cause that cycle has been broken. Instead buy as if it was to be yours for the rest of your life, and feel lucky if the market supports "upgrading."
This is how our family did our thinking. Our thought was we wanted something big enough where we wouldn"t have to move 5 years down the line, even if another kid came in the picture (we only have one now). We viewed a ton of properties in the 1600-1800 sq foot range and while that would of been adequete for now, it"s quite possible that we may have needed more space down the road. So we decided to shoot for something bigger yet still somewhat within the price range we were looking at. End result = 2300+ sq foot for about 215k. So now we know that we can see ourselves in that house for at least 10 yrs. We"re fortunate to live in a area with a decent cost of living where housing prices are not over inflated for a house that size.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Even if you operate from the assumption that it will be difficult to sell later on (which is asinine, btw) the smart thing is to underbuy at first. If we are assuming it"s nearly impossible to sell, it"s much easier to put an addition on your current house, add a second story, buy the condo next to yours, knock down a wall and expand, etc than it is to overbuy and have space you can"t move. It"s a much more rational assumption that your salary will stay flat, you"ll get laid off, your family will have medical bills/divorce/etc etc that you"ll have to contribute money to than the assumption that you"re going to make it big and this big place will have some use.

BTW my house is like 1950 sq ft and I have 2 kids and this house is plenty big for me. When I move it"ll be for the school districts so I can avoid tossing money away on private schools locally.