Home buying thread

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Hatorade said:
Ah ok, our earnest money was like 750 just be sure you get that back if you buy.

Also what is everyones average electric bill? Currently sitting at 80.00 a month in the apartment but we are very conservative with the AC and all that. I imagine it will go up but I keep hearing like 300.00 electric bills and that can"t be right.
I pay $84 a month for electric and $61 for gas for an 1200 sq ft home but then I"m on a budget billing. Makes it nice because my bills will be the same every month regardless of usage and lets me set a budget.

Prior to being on this budget billing, I used to average about $120 for electric in the summer, $25-30 in the winter. Gas was around $150 in the winter and $20 in the summer.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Hatorade, are you going to need new fixtures or chandeliers? We are replacing all of the light fixtures in the first floor, so we will have brushed nickel fixtures that will likely get tossed. Let me know.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Dis said:
Hatorade, are you going to need new fixtures or chandeliers? We are replacing all of the light fixtures in the first floor, so we will have brushed nickel fixtures that will likely get tossed. Let me know.
I have no idea, I seriously doubt we will need a chandelier but pics of the fixtures would be good to know.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Hatorade said:
I have no idea, I seriously doubt we will need a chandelier but pics of the fixtures would be good to know.
Will do. On another note, I wish they would fucking decide if they are going to extend the home buyers tax credit for ALL buyer"s. This may end up causing some havoc with my closing if they dont get it figured out.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
While we are on the subject of house stuff anyone in Houston have a 4-6 foot indoor ladder for sale? Craigslist is failing me and I am not spending 80 bucks on a new one.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Close in eight days, this is becoming surreal as the days get closer. I am actually going to have a house and a backyard, haven"t had that since I was 6 or so.

Zakonax_foh

shitlord
So, the wife & I moved into a new house at Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia this week. It was a short sale from the bank, and we got it for an absolute steal. The bank also approved it in 2 days and was pushing us the entire time to close early. Was less than 2 months from contract to close, and that delay was mostly us to give us time to save for a downpayment.

It needs a little bit of work, the builder left it about 95% finished, so the driveway needs asphalting, and there was some carpet needed inside, but getting a 5100sq ft property for less than half of tax value on a golf course at the lake is WIN

This is the front:

DSC_0008.JPG

and this is the back:

DSC_0012.JPG

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Damn man, congrats, that place is gorgeous.

Got our HoA docs to review today... they were printed by the selling broker in june... and are like 2.5 inches thick (189 pages), wow.

Zakonax_foh

shitlord
meStevo said:
Damn man, congrats, that place is gorgeous.

Got our HoA docs to review today... they were printed by the selling broker in june... and are like 2.5 inches thick (189 pages), wow.
Ouch, that is some stack of paper! I really like the look of your new house out there, i"ve always loved the style of those desert homes. When are you due to close?

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Thanks!

We"re closing 11/23, but will be out of town for a reunion 11/20-11/23, banker thinks we"ll be closed mid November no problem. Appraisal results due Tuesday, worse case we expect the price to come in a little lower than the 140k we"re paying so we"ll need to do an addendum or whatever to adjust figures (BofA does this "99.5% of the time" per my BofA banker), and there"s a cracked window that could be an FHA issue which the bank will fixed (up to $1000 in repairs in the contract) and we"ll have to pay $75 for it to be reinspected.

Other than that, should be cake! (lol)

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Close tomorrow, made a ton of plans with friends to help us get to painting Friday and we are just now informed she may not be moved out by then. I understand it takes time to move out of state but fuck a full two days after closing. So after going back and forth for a few hours it is agreed she will be out by Thursday, huge head ache if that does not happen. Never done this before so maybe shouldn"t have made plans for the days after closing.

splorge_foh

shitlord
Im not sure what your sale and purchase says about moving out after closing, but normally it contains stiff penalties if the previous owner does not turn the property over to you on the specified date in the condition you viewed it. (i.e. they did not remove fixtures or fittings).

At the very least, the previous owner should pay you a sum for the inconvenience, on top of the pro rated amount of the rental. This person is getting a free place to live while you are paying the mortgage, so its appropriate they pay you what it would cost to rent it out.

If your S&P doesn"t contain any language about turning over the property on time, then lesson learned for the next time to add it in.

I can"t stand when owners do this to me, its a pet peeve.

opiate82_foh

shitlord
Hatorade said:
Close tomorrow, made a ton of plans with friends to help us get to painting Friday and we are just now informed she may not be moved out by then. I understand it takes time to move out of state but fuck a full two days after closing. So after going back and forth for a few hours it is agreed she will be out by Thursday, huge head ache if that does not happen. Never done this before so maybe shouldn"t have made plans for the days after closing.
I would be concerned that the person doesn"t leave on their own. If you agree to let them stay once you take ownership they really become your tenant. I believe if they stay past the agreed time the only way to legally get them out is to evict them which takes time (up to 3 months) and money. I know it probably seems like a long shot for that to happen but if it did, you are pretty much screwed until the legal process runs it"s course. You can"t just barge in there and throw her shit to the curb and change the locks (again, legally speaking). I would discuss it with your real-estate agent as they would know the specific laws better than I.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Just submitted an offer, 75k for a 3/2 1640sq ft house in north Phoenix. Hopefully I can get this one, as time is more or less out for getting that tax credit.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Hatorade said:
Fuck that shit. That happened to my sister too, she didn"t get the keys to the new property until a day or 2 after closing. When we went in there, I informed them that no way, no how was I walking outta closing without those fucking keys. Dealbreaker. I am not going to legally own a house that I do not have access to, and furthermore, since I don"t know who else has keys, I am not legally owning a house that I don"t know who has access to.

I had 2 new deadbolts in my truck at closing, those were in the door within a half an hour of me owning the house. Anything else is simply unacceptable in my view.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ok so a couple things went down today that are both good and bad, the good is we closed in about an hour was smooth as can be I was told. The seller paid for a year of home warranty, she is leaving us the fridge which is only a couple years old, a brand new stove, a like new ladder, some hoses a bunch of tools in new condition including a circular saw and yard stuff.

The bad news is she isn"t going to be out until early tomorrow, she did give me a copy of the current locks and garage remote/code. Old women is very sweet so we aren"t too upset we can"t do our thing yet. We wrote up a contract that states we are currently leasing the home to her until Friday, if not out by 12:00AM Friday she pays a penalty. Her family is helping her move and they all agree they will be done either late tonight or early tomorrow.

House really is in amazing condition so again it sucks but we are good to go, new locks ready to go etc.

The Foler_sl

shitlord
Make sure you get the biggest house with the biggest mortgage possible, it"s all the rage these days, us America"s gotta live big!