Home buying thread

joeintokyo_foh

shitlord
Vinen said:
Makes me cry and want to move to Texas almost. 1800 square foot house is 3-4x even in this Market in Southern New Hampshire.

I"m looking to start this process right now and seriously... just to get a little bit of land (not talking much here) in an area that isn"t close to the fucking shithole section of my city is 200k min.

[/url]
Even this is kind of cheap compared to here in Japan. Was in a real estate office bored the other day looking around and 1300sq feet for just the land only is running for mid 200k (dollars) and this is on the outside of yokohama so we are not even talking about up in tokyo here.

Our house is smaller than my cousins house in Texas and where he paid like 140k we ended up paying in the end right around 850k for land and to have a house built (and this is between yokohama and kamakura for anyone who cares)....so yeah location location location eh.

But you can"t beat the convenience and fun of tokyo/ yokohama!

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Picasso said:
where is that shit hole.
San Diego, yeah they are renting it out right now. I asked them who would rent such a pretentious house and they said the people own a couple bars in downtown and just want to be out in the country a little bit.

I think the market is still doing well for median houses and lower but houses like theirs are going to be on the market for a loong time.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Offer accepted for 78k, 1300sqft 3.2 and 2 car garage. Now its time to get an inspection done and see if there is anything wrong .

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Just got back from the inspection and only problem with the house is that being 25 years old the roof is out the end of its life and is going to need to be redone.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
If that"s all that"s wrong with a 25 y/o house, I"d think you"ve got a pretty nice one. I"ve never replaced a roof so no idea of the costs, but surely the tax credit could go a long way toward making that a non-issue if you weren"t counting on it for other stuff.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Best bet was putting all 7600 or so towards house payments but it wont hurt me too much to put it towards fixing the roof.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Phoenix said:
Best bet was putting all 7600 or so towards house payments but it wont hurt me too much to put it towards fixing the roof.
Roof will eat a solid chunk of that. At least half, depending on how many mexicans you need to do it.

blizzak_foh

shitlord
Take a good look at all the different roofing materials available to you. I went with steel because the price was right and I could do it myself. Cost me 3k including the tools I wanted to buy and now I have a roof that won"t need redoing. Big plus when you go to sell, prospective owners know they won"t have to spend any coin down the road on it either. Other mats offer the same lifetime but can cost you a fortune(but really look sweet as hell). Even if you pay someone to do the work for you, it may not cost much more than a new ashphalt shingle job and it goes up in a single day.

Candiarie_foh

shitlord
Backstory: I"m a 20yo college student in Louisville, looking to buy my first house so here are a lot of questions. Any help would be appreciated.

I rent a house in a preservation district near UofL, a relatively expensive but really nice area and already in pretty high demand and only getting more popular as it gets more gentrified. I found a house 2 blocks away from where I am now that was foreclosed on and sold for 360k 2 years ago, asking 80k. 3 stories, 5k sq ft, could be divided into 3 units with some work. The place is a shit hole, but massive amounts of potential. It looks like the previous owners were trying to renovate it for 3 separate units, but were pretty amateurish about it. The electrical work that I saw was terrifying, I don"t even want to think about what I didn"t see walking through it. The biggest issue that I could see were multiple leaks in the roof that needed to be repaired immediately (gg 8k tax credit). A lot of the drywall will need to be replaced a result, but this isn"t so bad since it will make the electrical work easier.

They ripped all the carpet up so there are a ton of staples and tufts of carpet on every floor. Some of it is tiled though, which I"ll probably continue where they did it and resurface or replace the wood as I can afford it. I"ve never messed with flooring at all, but assuming the inspector says the floor"s safe I"ll end up just putting area rugs where it"s really bad. Most of the windows needed work, some were missing the frame and trim entirely and others just didn"t close.

All of the water outlets had a little winterized tag on them - I"m assuming that means that they just turned the water off then ran all the water through them? How does this impact the home inspection? I"m curious how much the inspector will be able to check plumbing/electrical wise.

Also, this is a 120 year old house. How does checking the sewer work out? From what I can gather online it"s basically sticking a snake with a camera on it to see what they see?

I"m running the numbers to see if I can afford it right now. So far it seems like it will work but I"m getting a quote on home insurance, I have no idea how it is calculated and if the massive square footage will make a difference. Definitely seems like a good project as long as I can make one floor somewhat livable early on while I work on the rest of the house. I"m starting to look for new roommates to try and reduce the cost and give me more money to pay for repairs also.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Sounds like you would need to do quite a bit of work just to get roommates who would be interested. Also you think you would be able to handle all the work while going to college at the same time?

splorge_foh

shitlord
that sounds like a pretty bad idea unless you are very skilled in constructing houses, which it doesnt sound like from your email. The fact that you need someone to come inspect it and tell you the problems is not a good sign.

if you can afford to do a full renovation on the house (25-40k depending on condition of the bathrooms) then it would be more viable, but it doesnt sound like you have that kind of cash.

keep in mind you will still need to fill the place with furniture and appliances, which can easily cost 5k for a new house.

living in a place that is being renovated is not a pleasant experience. its better to rent a small place off site for the duration of the renovation, and then move in once its completed.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
It"s a bad idea. Stay away from it. With the way the market is right now, you can get something decent for a reasonable price. Why throw several (hundred) thousand dollars into something that youmighteventually get back when you can buy something that will definitely accrue in value?

Really no point in buying a 120 year old home with work that needs to be done, at least that extensively. What you found walking through it is one thing, but what you find when you start working on it is a completely different thing. Whatever you SEE that"s wrong with it, I guarantee there"s even more that you don"t see, and won"t find out about until you start digging into it. Leave it alone and walk away.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
My close date was pushed back due to VA not being able to get it appraised in time, so I should be in it at the end of the week at the latest.

Warrian

╰⋃╯ლ(´ڡ`ლ)
Well, after looking at god knows how many different houses we finally found one we love. The house was on the market for 349k then a couple of months later they reduced it to 325k. This was the perfect situation because a) It has been on the market for a little while which gives us some flexibility with the price b) the ladie that owns the house is going through a divorce and c) she said all of the furniture is up for negotiation.

We offered them 280k and they countered with 299k. We countered back with 290k and then they countered again with 297k. That"s when I dropped the bomb and said okay I"ll do 297k as long as we get a) The family room furniture, b) Kitchen table/chairs, c) Dining room furniture, and d) The guest room furniture. They accepted.

Mind you, all of this furniture is really expensive dark cherry wood stuff. All in all, I think we got a great deal.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Warrian said:
Well, after looking at god knows how many different houses we finally found one we love. The house was on the market for 349k then a couple of months later they reduced it to 325k. This was the perfect situation because a) It has been on the market for a little while which gives us some flexibility with the price b) the ladie that owns the house is going through a divorce and c) she said all of the furniture is up for negotiation.

We offered them 280k and they countered with 299k. We countered back with 290k and then they countered again with 297k. That"s when I dropped the bomb and said okay I"ll do 297k as long as we get a) The family room furniture, b) Kitchen table/chairs, c) Dining room furniture, and d) The guest room furniture. They accepted.

Mind you, all of this furniture is really expensive dark cherry wood stuff. All in all, I think we got a great deal.
Aww man.

You know there was somefilthysex on that stuff