Home buying thread

rinthea_foh

shitlord
TheCutlery said:
I put down 3.5%.

I bought a 245k house, my wife and I make 110k a year.

What now? You gonna tell me I can"t afford my loan?
Are you trolling or that fucking dumb?

Your case is 1 scenario. It doesn"t equal the scenario of the guy who makes 20k a year and puts down 3.5% on 400000.

Also there are high end rental properties. You can rent apartments for 10 000/week. ARe these shitholes? REally, I mean, come on....

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
God damnit

Do you think we"re arguing that people who can"t afford loans should get them?

If you can afford it IT"S OK to put 3.5% down instead of renting to save money so you can put down 20%.

So its not OK to say "If you"d put down 20% (AS YOU SHOULD HAVE, RETARD)" to someone who put down the minimum and hasn"t missed a payment and knows damn well what they can afford.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Picasso said:
God damnit

Do you think we"re arguing that people who can"t afford loans should get them?

If you can afford it IT"S OK to put 3.5% down instead of renting to save money so you can put down 20%.

So its not OK to say "If you"d put down 20% (AS YOU SHOULD HAVE, RETARD)" to someone who put down the minimum and hasn"t missed a payment and knows damn well what they can afford.
The advice is sound. Generally, people who take 3.5% loans because they have to have their house RIGHT NOW and can"t save up 20%, probably can"t afford what they are getting into or need to just take a step back, not make a snap decision, and avoid making a big mistake on the biggest purchase of their life.

That"s not to say Cutlery is wrong in what he"s doing, as "wrong" is different for different people. Is it sub-optimal, financially? Probably. It is the best decision, for him? Maybe, but without knowing all the facts, I can"t say.

"Generally", people who can"t save 20% of their house cost prior to buying it are not in the best financial shape in the first place, and should step back and re-evaluate. I think that evaluation is spot on for the general case.

Chaotic_foh

shitlord
Timing can have a lot to do with it in terms of 20% down.

For example, interest rates at 3.75% and housing prices where they are - coupled with a gross annual income of $95,000 (but you just landed the job) minimal debt and 0 to put down. You are in a 250,000 median home area.

You wait two years and risk it being a 275,000 median home area and 5% interest rates, effectively lowering your buying power, or you get in now.

Just saying having 0 down, or minimal down and taking a loan stems from other things besides fiscal irresponsibility or an inability to piece the money together.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Cad said:
That"s not to say Cutlery is wrong in what he"s doing, as "wrong" is different for different people. Is it sub-optimal, financially? Probably. It is the best decision, for him? Maybe, but without knowing all the facts, I can"t say.
No, what was sub optimal financially was renting for 10 fucking years while the housing bubble happened. I SHOULD have bought a house (much like my own) for 110k in 2000 when my household was making 40k a year rather than doing what I did, which was try to get a decent sized down payment together like you"re advocating, and falling further behind the market every year. Then I"d have a $700 house payment instead of a $1300 one and I"d still be making the same amount of money I do today. What"s the better financial decision then?

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Another thing you"re not factoring in (or maybe I missed it) is that you can"t say "Renting for 30 years is better than buying" or whatever simply due to inflation which is inevitable.

I mean take buying a house right now, $350k 30yr fixed @ 3.5%... You"re paying $1,600 a month on the mortgage. 29 years after that, you"re still paying $1,600 a month on the mortgage.

If you rent for $1,000 a month, do you think your rent is going to be $1,000 a month 29 years later?

Now, more than ever, is the time to buy. Wife and I certainly want to put a lot of money down, but we make a lot so I know our situation is certainly different. We"ll prolly drop 20-25% simply to get rid of PMI. We owe about $45k on our current house at this point and we"re just going to rent it out to some sucker who wants to rent. We"ll likely have aslightnegative cash flow with everything factored in, but we"d like to sell it but its TERRIBLE for selling... so we"d rather have someone pay our mortgage for us. It"s a hard-core buyers market. Houses are dirt cheap atm, people are desperate to sell their house. Having a permanent residence in a good area to raise your family in is awesome. 15 years from now when 30 year rates are in the 7-8% range, you"ll still be sitting good on your 3.5% mortgage on a house that you got at a steal, not to mention your money actually goes toward something.

meStevo_foh

shitlord
Sharmai said:
Renting is fine without kids but with kids I would sure as fuck hate to keep moving and separating my kids from their friends just so I can keep my rent down.
That"s another reason why we bought when we did, starting a family and have every intention of living in it ~20 years and giving my kids the same opportunity to have the same groups of friends from elementary school through high school that I did.

My wife"s best friends she"s known for 9-10 years... I"ve known many of my friends for 25+.

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
I grew up in the same place for 13 years then moved while we were in high school to Indiana. At the time I had no idea just how much of an effect that had on me being removed from friends and family I had known for my entire life. I can look back now and see just how massive a change it was and how much I changed because of it.

I will not have that happen to my kids. Many people don"t realize just how important that foundation is as you move through life"s transitions with those people around you.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
My family moved when I was 7, and when I was 15. About 4 away hours each time. Sure it was kinda shitty when it happened, but we adjusted quickly enough, made new friends, and still kept in touch w/ a few of the better old friends. Though the move when I was 15, we did move closer to some extended family.

TLDR, there are benefits to staying and moving around a bit.

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
That"s not so bad. I moved from TX to IN. I was taken out of a new school where the classes when <15 students per teacher to a public school with 30+ per teacher. I remember getting custom homework assignments that I thought was perfectly normal for every student in my previous school because I liked doing stuff early so I didn"t have homework at home. I actually gotten written up in the public school for reading ahead and figuring out that the homework came from end of chapter questions so I did them all early.

But it wasn"t just the school. Other kids didn"t give a shit about learning. I thought the discovery channel was fucking awesome and said it. Guess what my life was like in public school.

Izuldan_foh

shitlord
TheCutlery said:
I put down 3.5%.

I bought a 245k house, my wife and I make 110k a year.

What now? You gonna tell me I can"t afford my loan?
Lol, now you want to pull numbers out to justify your purchase. At least I can be thankful you dropped that stupid apartment derail.

I wasn"t arguing whether or not you (personally) could afford it, because until now, you didn"t present any numbers, so only you could know your personal financial situation.

I am still saying that in general, someone putting 3.5% down is still a red flag flag to me.

Go ahead, pay all that extra interest to the bank, again, it"s your money. You"re the one with the combined income of over $100,000 a year who somehow only has $20,000 in the bank, so you"re obviously some sort of financial wizard.

Sharmai said:
I grew up in the same place for 13 years then moved while we were in high school to Indiana. At the time I had no idea just how much of an effect that had on me being removed from friends and family I had known for my entire life. I can look back now and see just how massive a change it was and how much I changed because of it.

I will not have that happen to my kids. Many people don"t realize just how important that foundation is as you move through life"s transitions with those people around you.
Almost same exact thing happened to me too. I lived in the same home for about 10 years, when I finished elementary school (age 12) my parents upped and moved to a nicer neighborhood, bigger home, etc.......but over 100 miles away. So I had to start junior high knowing zero people, and losing all my old friends. It was a tough few years early on for sure, and I was pissed as hell at my parents for moving.

Looking back now.....it"s hard to say if it was for better or worse, since it made me into the person I am today. Even though I went from being one of the most popular kids in class to a loner, it did make me stronger mentally, and also allowed me to focus more on school. So I"ll never know if I would have been as successful as I am now if I had stayed in my old neighborhood. We did move to a better school district, and I"m still best friends with my sole friend from junior high....going on 30 years now. That being said, I agree with you, I won"t move when my kids are that age, I"ll wait until they enter college.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Izuldan said:
Go ahead, pay all that extra interest to the bank, again, it"s your money. You"re the one with the combined income of over $100,000 a year who somehow only has $20,000 in the bank, so you"re obviously some sort of financial wizard.
Hahahaha, I was thinking the same thing. Using all that money for some firewood champ?

Izuldan_foh

shitlord
Well, something smells fishy. Either Cutlery is lying about the numbers, or he"s one of the dumbest motherfuckers out there, financially speaking.

He"s buying a home in a nice neighborhood for 245k. Right then and there I know he lives in Shittown Smallville, USA.

I live in Los Angeles, I used to live in San Diego.....245k buys you a 1 bedroom condo, MAYBE. I"m sure you could buy even less in New York City.

So he lives somewhere like a midwest small city. He makes a combined income of over 100k.....that would make him top 10% in his community I"m sure....and yet he"s living in some sort of crappy apartment building in a shitty neighborhood currently? Seriously? Making over 100k a year, and yet can only save 3.5% on a home valued at only 245k?

So we have a guy who says his family makes over $100,000 a year, who lives in a smaller city where cost of living is lower.....which means his dollar goes farther. He"s not paying over $4 a gallon for gas like I am.

Where the hell did all his money go? And don"t say his children, because there are plenty of families that make $100,000 a year, and most of them aren"t living in crummy apartments, and who can afford to live in homes over 245k AND put 20% down.

Either he"s lying about how much he"s making, or he has about as much financial acumen as Brad2770 in the car thread.

Sharmai_foh

shitlord
I"ll grant you that Indianapolis is small compared to LA but then so are most cities in the country. That said 245k buys you a pretty fan-fucking-tastic 4000sqft home in Indianapolis.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Izuldan said:
Well, something smells fishy. Either Cutlery is lying about the numbers, or he"s one of the dumbest motherfuckers out there, financially speaking.

He"s buying a home in a nice neighborhood for 245k. Right then and there I know he lives in Shittown Smallville, USA.
Not to defend Cutlery but the town he lives in is nice and is not far from me. There are tons of nice homes in the Twin Cities area for around that price as places just aren"t selling quickly. (That"s everywhere I guess though) Right down the street from me there is a 2 story 4 bedroom home that has a finished basement, new roof, new furnace and is under 30 years old and needs no real work done to it and it just dropped in price for the 4th time to around $165,000 and I live in one of the more expencive burbs of Minneapolis...more due to being centrally located though then rich neighborhoods. Good deals on homes here are not hard to find here.

Izuldan_foh

shitlord
Fair enough, I guess I"m just jaded living in LA and paying $500/sq ft for a home.

That being said, it"s still retarded to be making over $100,000 a year and being barely able to come up with a decent down payment on a house valued at only $245,000.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
I personally think only putting 3.5% down(depending upon your income and house price) is stupid mainly because youre financing more than you have to and just giving the bank money. Of course Im also the kind of guy that if I made 100k and lived in a 245k house Id have it paid off in under 10 years.

Overall though I think its good idea to go with only 3.5% down now simply because low interest rates+low housing prices. Not something to do though say pre-recession.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
You"re jaded, and clearly dumb as shit.

You wanna come in here and judge me and everyone else and you know fuck all about anything, apparently.

You wanna know what 245k bought me?

2500 sq ft, 5 bed, 3 bath, on almost a full acre, on a lake, corner lot, with a in ground 20x40 foot pool. Enjoy your fucking one bedroom in LA.

We bought my house when my wife got her job, until then it was single income family, while I put her through school. I apologize for paying for school and not managing to save up 48k for your liking. She"s since doubled her starting wage thanks to the wonders of most of the people in the work force being utter morons, so don"t you worry about me, I have no interest in seeing this mortgage last more than another 15 years. I also lived in apartments in St. Paul and in a suburb adjacent to this one, and they were both pretty much the same. I dunno what apartments you live in, but the stoners like to rent here, and you can"t avoid them.

Welcome to my lot. Now try to take your foot outta your fucking mouth.

Izuldan_foh

shitlord
What foot?

You"re the one making over $100,000 a year with barely any money in the bank to show for it, lamenting over a small mortgage on a $245,000 home.

It boggles the mind why you even brought it up in this thread. Why are you worried about a re-finance on your home when you should be able to just pay it down over the next 10 years or so? Oh wait, that"s right, you can"t seem to save money. What"s next, you going to ask us if you should buy an Ipad 2 next with no money down?

Also kinda funny all the shit that"s coming out now......Cutlery"s household income has doubled over the past 2 years. Honestly, gratz to him. But like that makes his advice somehow relevant to the other 90% of America that had their incomes stay the same, go down or lost their jobs during the past few years? If his income hadn"t risen, he would be struggling to make ends meet. If his income had gone down, he would be in shit creek and probably in foreclosure. Fortunately he"s come out ahead....unlike most people in the last few years.

Again, no relevance to someone who"s struggling to make ends meet and deciding on whether or not they should buy a house for 3.5% down. They shouldn"t.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Sharmai said:
I"ll grant you that Indianapolis is small compared to LA but then so are most cities in the country. That said 245k buys you a pretty fan-fucking-tastic 4000sqft home in Indianapolis.
The thing with LA, like most larger cities I"d imagine, is that there"s still a big range in price. It"s just bumped up like 300% or something. Just browse a real estate site, it"s always crazy to see how much less similar property sells for elsewhere.