Home buying thread

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Pasteton said:
So my loan officer at wells Fargo has been needling me on to go with arm or interest only loan products. Interest rates being what they are, a 30 yr fixed at 4.1% is pretty tempting, but so is a 7/1 arm at 3.1%. Are ARMs really that bad? I feel like everyone pushes me towards the fixed rate mortgages which will cost me severa thousand more a year in interestt
Get a new mortgage broker.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Agreed. No broker should be "needling" you on anything. You pick your mortgage product you want, Pasteton. If you"re being pressured, get someone else.

My friend almost fell for a trap. He was getting a $400k loan putting 5% down... they told him his interest rate would be 3.875%, but if he wanted to roll the PMI into the loan it would be 4.625%... his actual payment would be cheaper by like $30 a month, but the interest rate is more.

I explained to him how that is a ripoff and he got it but.. man, people fall for stupid shit.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Actually Aladain you"re an idiot for telling your friend to pay the PMI separately. PMI is only tax deductable in certain cases. Rolling the PMI into the interest rate is called LPMI or TAMI in which to the borrower the MI payments show up as pure interest and therefore always tax deductable. If explained and disclosed properly the borrower will be informed that there will be an MI agreement attached to the note that spells out that the 4.625% rate will only exist until you meet the standard criteria for MI removal, at which time your rate goes back down to 3.875%.

This is all industry standard stuff and in no way a rip off. The proplem with LPMI or TAMI is that it"s a lot harder to qualify for as it"s almost always done via self-insurance from the bank in question unlike Borrower Paid MI which is done through companies like Radian or MGIC who are then on the hook for the MI liability.

As far as the ARM"s, no loan is a bad loan as long as you understand what the ramifications are in the future. It"s obviously impossible to predict the future but what you have to do is determine the worst case scenario, in this instance a max cap rate 8 years down the road equals what payment. Can you afford that payment? What is the liklihood of you living in that house/condo/whatever 8 years down the road? Can you sleep at night knowing what your payment might be.

While it"s mainly been jumbo loans I"ve probably done a 50/50 mix of ARM"s and fixes this year.

One loan does not fit all and to take a 30 year just because it"s a 30 year without understanding how it will affect your finances, your goals and plans isn"t good planning just by itself.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Actually Aladain you"re an idiot for telling your friend to pay the PMI separately. PMI is only tax deductable in certain cases. Rolling the PMI into the interest rate is called LPMI or TAMI in which to the borrower the MI payments show up as pure interest and therefore always tax deductable. If explained and disclosed properly the borrower will be informed that there will be an MI agreement attached to the note that spells out that the 4.625% rate will only exist until you meet the standard criteria for MI removal, at which time your rate goes back down to 3.875%.
Which it wasn"t. It was 4.625 for the life of the loan. It was a bad deal, or they didn"t disclose it properly.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have experience with a rent-to-own situation?

Here is the story, which I"ll try to not make too long... My wife will be graduating from graduate school at the end of May and already has a job lined up (Special Education Teacher). She"s worked maybe 20 hours a week the past year and a half so we"ve really been living on around 1.25 incomes and don"t have that much saved, at least nothing near 20% down.

A friend of ours just informed us of a house that a co-worker is trying to sell... his father died three years ago and the mom lived in the home by herself for a year and a half but has since moved into assisted living for almost 2 years now. The son is fine with renting and verbally gave us a rent price that is lower than what we currently pay for our 1 bedroom apartment. Apparently though, the mom does not want to rent the house and just wants to sell it and get rid of it.

So I"m looking at approaching it a couple ways... either completely low ball them to a price that I am comfortable with and hope the person is that desperate to get rid of it that she takes it, or offer a rent-to-own scenario. Home is for sale by owner and on the market for approaching 2 years.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Landlords LOVE people in their homes on rent-to-own contracts. They never have to fix anything, and the people never end up owning the house.

Wrenn_foh

shitlord
Yeah, I don"t know how its different to Australia, but rent to own is usually done here for people that cant get credit themselves, i.e. cant get a deposit or qualify for a loan, so the owner can basically do whatever they want to these folks. It"s going to work out very nicely for the owner as they can charge higher than normal interest or rent.

On the other hand, a lot of people seem to do it as they can own a place without needing bank credit, and not all owners are in it to exploit the renters. I"d just make sure whatever contract you sign is checked over very carefully by people that know what they are doing.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, we wouldn"t be doing it for those reasons. My credit score was 806 when we met with a mortgage broker last month so we can get a mortgage... the issue is the down payment and how uncomfortable I am putting so little down while we don"t have a lot of cash.

Maybe that means now isn"t the time for us to buy, but we"re still trying to figure that out. For the right price, a legit, non-exploitative rent to own option seems like all we can do, otherwise we will pass and look again when we can afford to own in the more traditional sense.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Wife and I have been house-hunting the last 4-5 weeks. Finally put an offer in on a property on Friday, found out today someone else got it. Even though we know lots of people that have bought a home in recent years, and they all pretty much say it took a few offers before they got their home, we still spent the weekend talking about "we can rip the carpets up in these rooms and put wood down" or "we can put your vegetable garden in that corner of the land" or "the kitchen would be perfect with new cabinets installed" etc etc.

I really envy the people that can (and are) paying cash for their homes, instead of the 20-25% we are looking to put down.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
The important thing when you"re looking for homes is to look for awhile, not sweat the first few that you miss out on, and figure out what you really want. Then when you know that, you"ll know when you find "The one" and can move quick on it. Delay is what kills your chances of getting. Any house worth a shit right now is probably lined up for showings the day it goes on the market, you"ve gotta be able to assess the house quickly and decide if you want to move on it.

Know what you want for a yard, what you want for a driveway, what"s acceptable for roof/appliances/furnace age, what"s acceptable level of remodel required for bathrooms/kitchen, etc. Once you know that, you"ll know when you walk into your house, because you"ll have an offer on it immediately and end up getting it.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
A huge turn off to rent-to-own or lease-option, should be the fact that the real owner can lose the house to foreclosure or do a short sale when you are 2-3 years in and there is jack you can do about it, you were just paying higher than average rent for that whole time and end up with nothing to show for it.

Lots of folks have houses sitting, could charge higher rent to some one for a lease-option, then stop making your mortgage payment. Takes about 2-3 years to actually foreclose. Profit.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Wife and I are debating forging ahead on a new place in a very nice part of surrounding Austin. Very low property taxes relative to the rest of the Austin area (just under 2%), and one of the best school districts in the nation.

My question though is -- this neighborhood is on closeout -- there are just a few lots left, one of which is is going for a $10k premium which we want. When we went there the salesman was patient with us, but every price he constantly pulled the "But we can go cheaper than that, no prob" card. I generally don"t buy any BS from any salesman at all, ever. But...

I"m curious -- is a neighborhood on closeout (4-6 lots left per builder pretty much) a good situation to potentially try to get a better-than-usual deal on new home construction? i.e. they want to GTFO and want to sell the last few at a big discount to move on?

Chaotic_foh

shitlord
So, I"ve been in and out of this thread for awhile as I"ve saved money and contemplated what to do. Just wanted some longer term advice.

Basically I"ve put almost all my money away in investments that have done quite well. I"ve got about 70k put aside now and am putting away about 4k a month at this point.

Two things have happened. One, I met the girl I think might be "the one". Two, my parents are getting divorced.

Without going too much into it, I may need to bring my mother and my littlest sister with me (13) in which case I need a suitable detached apartment for them. This was one of my plans all along (apartment) and I also need to keep my little sister in her school district (one of best districts out here) so I know where I need to look

The girl; basically she commutes an hour away from me. I"m on the west end, she"s on the east ( for simplicity sake) we both want to move closer to work. We both recognize that we need to wait to move in, let alone buy property together. She also has about 20k put aside, so she is not in a position to match me on property regardless. She makes 80k I make 95k. She will make 100k in two years, I will make 130k.

The area I need to look in is all the way west, near me. Houses average $335,000. I"m looking @ $350,000 or below.

So, here is my plan and where I need advice. First and foremost. I owe my mother alot. It"s the least I can do to get her out of the situation she is in and to help my little sister in turn. At this point my mind is set on that.

Buy a house by myself with a nice suitable multi bedroom apartment / upstairs (whatever) with separate entrance for my mother and sister. Live there 2-4 (3-5?) years while putting money aside with the lady. When we both have enough saved up again for a down payment, buy something together (probably a compromise in terms of commute) and instead of using my first house to leverage the second - I"ll keep it. Give the house itself (in terms of living space) to my mother and sister, and then in turn rent the "apartment" portion. This should, at the very least cover the expenses of the house. As a plus, the area is a very white, suburban family environment. Very easy to rent to a family (best renters)

So figure i"ll net 0 on the primary house. However, and this is primarily where I need advice or insight; i should have monster tax deductions right? Property tax / mortgage interest on first house (which should then put me in the green come tax time. asset building + huge tax return) and also the obvious tax deductions from the second home.

Then, what i"m thinking is; say 4% mortgage interest .. it doesn"t even pay to pay down the balance at such a low interest rate. I will just make minimum payments and use the deduction while investing the rest .. especially immediately after buying my first home in order to begin saving for second.

Thoughts?

joeboo13_foh

shitlord
Do you earn enough income that a bank is going to loan you ~$700,000 worth of mortgages simultaneously?

Also don"t bank on being able to get as low an interest rate on the 2nd home as you did on the first, unless your income is WAY overqualified for such an amount.

My father has a primary home and a lake home, and his lake home"s mortgage is a good 2% higher than his primary home. A 2nd mortgage is almost always more, whether its both mortgages on one property, two, or whatever.

I"d maybe ask your mortgage person, hypothetically as of right now, what kind of rates you would get(or if you would even qualify for) a 2nd loan.

Yeah, you"ll be pulling in more income once you vacate the first house, but you won"t have any past history of that income yet when you initially apply for that 2nd mortgage. You might have to suffer through a bad interest rate for at least a few years until you can refinance with a much higher income from the rent you"ve been pulling in from a few years

splorge_foh

shitlord
Your plan sounds strange. First, I doubt very much you can net zero on the primary residence if your family is occupying a part of it. Secondly, a building with multiple separate entrances is an atypical unit, and will turn off many potential renters. Duplexes and such attract starter families, more established renter families will want a traditional SFH, so I would expect higher turnover if you go this route. Also, the investment will be less liquid than a traditional SFH.

I would double check what exact tax deductions you get on the second home. I know I cannot deduct any mortgage interest unless its my primary residence, and the mortgage interest rates on investment properties are much higher.

Next, I would consider what would happen in 4-5 years when your sister goes to college, and presumably leaves the house. It may not make financial sense if you no longer need to house both people and are not limited by school catchment areas.

Lastly, do not buy a house with your lady until you decide to get married and have combined finances.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
1. Unless the property you are buying is already setup as a 2 to 4 unit then you can"t use rental income on your primary to qualify as then it"s not your primary but an investment.

2. If you can qualify for both loans then you"ll get the same interest rate on both unless you need a "Jumbo" loan. Fannie and Freddie don"t price differentiate on primary vs. secondary and FHA is a primary only program.

joeboo13_foh

shitlord
splorge said:
Lastly, do not buy a house with your lady until you decide to get married and have combined finances.
1000 X this

I can"t tell you how many friends I"ve had get royally screwed from taking out loans with a boyfriend or girlfriend(mostly cars, but a few homes).

Best-case scenario if you break up is she walks away from it and you are responsible for the entire loan when she stops paying on it, and now you have to try to re-finance with less income than the both of you had combined.

Worst-case scenario you have to both get lawyers and fight over who gets the property and who owes how much money to the other person.

opiate82_foh

shitlord
I am by no means an expert, but I think you are going to run into issues on your second loan. With you and your SO"s combined income, your income-to-debt ratio should be enough for a second ~$300,000ish home. Problem is that your personal debt-to-credit ratio is going to be high due to that first mortgage under just your name. That can effect your interest rate on the 2nd home, along with the complication of having a 2nd home.

Also, I wouldn"t call the tax deduction for interest/taxes massive. I think my interest saved me ~2-3 grand on my tax liability. Maybe that is massive to you, I don"t know.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Debt to income ratios don"t affect interest rates, at least not for Fannie/Freddie/FHA. On Jumbo they do but I"m assuming most people here are buying their first home and aren"t using Jumbo financing for it.

Interest rates are solely affected by credit score/ltv/property usage and property type.

Aladain, you"re question is a bit old but your situation depends on how the tract sold. If they sold out quick and this is the last couple left then they usually will try to sell for more than initial as it"s all profit. By the same token if the sellout was shit and it"s not even the original builder the last few could still be just profit or it could be part of paying back the construction lender. Most builders are offering heavy incentives though, especially the publicly traded ones, as they have investor expectations to meet and are almost building just to build.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
We ended up not buying the house. It was far away, but not far enough, from a retention pond and I didn"t wanna deal with that. Was a shame too, we love the house floorplan. Oh well, still looking though.