Home buying thread

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
OneofOne said:
Seems everyone is buying giants homes compared to what the wife and I are looking for . We"ve mostly been looking at 1k-1.5k sq/ft. Looked at two 2k+, but both times we were like, eh, what would we use the extra rooms for? /shrug Went to look at two more properties today. One we were super excited about. Had some additional structures on the property that we really liked. Yesterday it was available, today our agent called theirs while we were there and... it"s back in escrow. WTF! We have the worst luck. Really jealous of you guys that have closed. Congratulations all around!
Office. Man Cave. Guest room. Helping people out (like when my 22 year old sister got kicked out of the house because she was staying at her boyfriend"s). Workout room. Or, the best possible use...indoor sauna, baby.

There"s always shit you can do with more room. You"d think you"d be able to get a deal looking for a smaller house, but honestly, I think smaller houses just tend to be older, less nice, and more maintenance. Often times you"ll end up having to remodel/update bathrooms and kitchens and shit, and that"s pretty expensive. Look a few years into the future. Are you gonna have a few kids? They eat up space quick. I know we all got by with 2-3 siblings in small houses (and our parents got by with 5-6 siblings in smaller houses) but it really is much nicer for them to have their own area way the fuck away from you, preferably on a different level.

If you"re just planning on being double income, no kids though...then yeah, you"re looking at ramblers with the old people.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I live in a smaller house right now (1300 sq. ft) that I bought in 2005 and paid off last year for the sole purpose to be my starter home, and then a rental when I move.

The place I"m moving is considerably bigger for exactly the reasons above. Dedicated office, a man cave, guest room or two, kids room, mother in law room, man-kitchen, man-porch. Entertainment. Etc. Is it also why we opted for a huge lot (relative to a suburb) - more room to do stuff - pool, place for the dog to run around, etc.

You"ll be surprised after getting a house thats 1k-1.5k sq. ft how fast you run out of space. Sure, you can always just deal with it (That"s what we"ve been doing until the end of this year), but it can be frustrating.

I wanted something even bigger than what I"m getting (~3,400 sq. ft) but in Austin the home prices are a ton higher compared to the rest of Texas, nevermind the fact that I"m also going to be living in one of the most exclusive areas in the Austin area.

Vilgan_foh

shitlord
Moved from OK to Seattle, so had to downsize the house. Tbh, the main place I feel it is the space for "stuff". We had a buildup of crap we don"t really need in OK because space was plentiful. Once we finish that purging process in Seattle, the smaller house should be fine for our needs. Ebooks definitely makes this process a lot easier as I had like 3 bookshelves full, most of which I"m probably going to end up carting away.

opiate82_foh

shitlord
My house is 1800sq ft and change (passed on a much bigger 4500sq ft house to get in a nicer neighborhood with a much bigger lot). My wife and I fill up the house. It is fine for the two of us, but as soon as the kids start coming it is going to start to feel small. It"s a four bedroom, but office/guest room/work-out room kills most of that space.

Our friends have a 2400sq ft house that they say feels cramped with just the two of them, but they have a large basement room they largely don"t utilize.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Size is just a personal preference I suppose (no pun intended). Wife and I grew up in smaller homes, probably averaging 1300 sq/ft or so. We"re looking at 3 bedrooms, one room of which will be our library. We"re old fashioned I guess and still much prefer real books - and we have a shit ton, 8 large bookcases and growing. We"re also looking for properties that have a studio/nice garage for my wife to set up her studio. Beyond that, have zero interest in an office or gym room.

We"re thinking of looking for a new realtor, but I"m sure sure if there are any consequences for that. We"ve never signed anything with her, other than the 3 offers we"ve submitted on properties so far, so I can"t imagine we"d owe her anything if we did change. I feel a bit bad at the notion of leaving her hanging after spending the last several months with her, but I dunno, my wife and I both get the feeling sometimes that we just aren"t a very important client of her"s.

opiate82_foh

shitlord
I would double check everything you signed when you made those offers. I know when we were shopping there was some paper-work that locked us in with our realtor when we made some offers. Can"t remember if it was specific to the properties or not, but it was explained to me in such a way that it was in place to prevent the listing agent from offering us a deal to circumvent our agent.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Alright, looking for some feedback on the way the world works, because I had an atypical experience on buying my house.

When we bought our house, our realtor was my wife"s uncle Jack. We never signed anything with him, he set up all the showings and took us out to whatever we wanted to see. We never signed anything with him (just bids), and I know for a fact that he got paid when we bought our house, but we never gave him a cent. It was my understanding of this process that the realtor share comes out of the seller"s cut of the house, and then is split between the 2 realtors (listing and buyer) in some manner that they decided was equitable.

So my 23 year old sister is living with me right now and is starting the process of buying a house so she can get outta here. She"s pre-approved, knows her budget, blah blah blah. She ended up going with this realtor that one of her friends is going with (instead of going with my recommendation -- the listing agent for my house, because she went out of her way to help us out with a couple things when she had no obligation to after the house was already sold). He pressured her into signing something in the middle of the street before they even got to the first house that he claims wasn"t a contract. In his defense, it did in fact say that on the first page. The second page, however, was definitely a contract. I know, I know, I already drilled the point into her head that anything anyone wants you to sign and won"t let you take it or look at it is obviously bullshit and she should walk away. She"s 23, it"s one of those life lessons. That"s not the point. The point is that what she signed clearly stated a couple of things -- first is that this guy is going to make 3% of the sale price of the home, plus $400, which doesn"t sound like it"s coming out of the seller"s cut at all. It honestly sounds to me like she"s on the hook for this, because I figure all this kinda shit should come out of the back end, and the buyer shouldn"t see any of it. Second was that she"s not even allowed to look at open houses without this guy present, which seems fucking retarded. Like this guy"s gonna be available 24/7 to go take her to look at whatever she wants, whenever she wants.

So the question to other homebuyers is...is this complete bullshit, or is this the way all or part of the industry works? Are buyers physically paying agents? I sure as fuck didn"t, but we used family, and I don"t know enough people who have bought houses recently to know if this is actually a real thing, not just a scam. Did any of you guys see anything like this? Did you end up paying the agent at closing or did it come out of the seller"s cut, like I think it should have?

I just need to know what direction I gotta send her in. The world certainly isn"t kind to 23 year old females. If they can take advantage of you, they will.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
In general the buyers agent contracts are only enforceable to the extent they show you or suggest to you the house you buy. In some states they can be effective for certain areas/zip codes... shit like that... but yes.

With a contract like that, even if you don"t use that agent to find the house you buy, that guy can come to you afterward, and demand his 3% commission. They "typically" won"t do that because its just bad business, but it has happened.

If I were your sister I"d just call the guy and go look, I don"t want you as my agent, I didn"t know what I was signing, and if you push this I"ll go to your agency/the state realtor"s association. Get a release from him in writing and if he won"t do that, pursue the above complaint strategies.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
Well, fortunately for her (and I forgot this part) is that he fucked up on the effective dates of the contract. When she came to me and said "I think I fucked up" the first thing I noticed is that the contract said it was effective from July 9th, 2012 to January 9th, 2012. As far as I"m concerned, that"s enough ambiguity to make it not worth fighting, and it looks like I was right. She already got all that taken care of, got the guy to release her from it in writing, etc. The only thing I really needed to know now is that if this behavior is to be expected from every agent showing you houses or not.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Realtors always get paid from the proceeds of the sale. Some will use those contracts just to make sure you don"t waste their time by going around looking at a bunch of houses and then switching Realtors. Like Cad said I"ve never seen it be enforced and in CA it"s almost never used in the first place.

Looks like my fellow Minnesotans aren"t using their midwestern values :p

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
TheCutlery said:
So the question to other homebuyers is...is this complete bullshit, or is this the way all or part of the industry works? Are buyers physically paying agents? I sure as fuck didn"t, but we used family, and I don"t know enough people who have bought houses recently to know if this is actually a real thing, not just a scam. Did any of you guys see anything like this? Did you end up paying the agent at closing or did it come out of the seller"s cut, like I think it should have?
I have a realtor family member that helped us find the new community we"re moving into. I did in fact, sign a representation agreement between me and my realtor. There is a section on the first page about "If you choose to have a broker represent you" which says:

My agreement said:
If you choose to have a broker represent you, you should enter into a written agreement with the brokerthat clearly establishes the broker"s obligations and your obligations.The agreement should state how, when,and by whomthe broker will be paid. You have the right to choose the type of representation. If any, you wish to receive. Your payment of a fee to a broker does not necessarily establish that the broker represents you, thus, if you have any questions regarding the duties and responsibilities of the broker you shouldresolve those questions completely before proceeding
I imagine yours says something similar. So it sounds legit,but, she should pay attention to the things I bolded above. What she signs should be crystal clear as day.

If I were her, though, I"d listen to your advice in her situation. In my case, my realtor is getting paid on the proceeds of the sale. I do not pay anything.

OneofOne

Our agent splits a percentage with the seller"s agent, that comes out of the seller"s pocket. IIRC a family friend who"s a realtor said that"s California law, but I could be misremembering /shrug

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I just spent two weeks:

Ripping down wallpaper
Scraping off wallpaper glue
Drywalling
Painting
Ripping up carpet
Sanding hardwood floors
Stain/Poly floors
Applying door and wall trim.

I"m finally about to finish up and move in to my home permanently.

Almost.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
OneofOne said:
Trade you. Just found out 4th home offer turned down today. Yay!
How far are you lowballing?

Draegan said:
I just spent two weeks:
That"s why I started with the bedrooms...so we could move in!

I didn"t even have the washing machine at the house yet when we moved in, and the fridge got delivered that day.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
OneofOne said:
Trade you. Just found out 4th home offer turned down today. Yay!
What part of the country are you looking in right now? Inventory is very low right now and we"re seeing multiple offers on a lot of properties. Case-Shiller index showed a price increase on average across the nation in May and I"ll bet June shows an increase as well.

I have about 25 pre-approved buyers starting from January that have still yet to find a house. Due to the stop in Foreclosures from the Robosigning mess a lot of the banks are just sitting on their REO"s. I have one agent for our REO"s that has been assigned a house from 3 years ago with the owners still sitting there and not paying.

OneofOne

We aren"t lowballing. We are offering 5-10k over asking, and letting them know we can pay out of pocket the difference if the property(ies) don"t appraise that high. We are looking in Sonoma County, CA. Since we are staying away from the cookie cutter "build 100 houses on 5 acres" neighborhoods (looking for about .5 acres for SOME elbow room) it limits the homes available to us.

We are ditching our agent today and trying a new guy, so who knows maybe that"ll help. This last property we bid on, they solicited a second round of "final and best" offers, and our agent didn"t make us aware that they needed loan pre-approval from the owning bank as well as another document to sign until 1 hour before the offer was due. Wife was super pissy having to do that over the phone with BoA while at work, at the last minute.

Cutlery

<Gold Donor>
You"re not preapproved?

That"s probably why you"re not getting any action. I wouldn"t start talking with someone unless they were pre-approved too. Not gonna get my hopes up on someone that can"t come through with financing. That"s not a knock on you, you"re just some random guy that bid on a house. No one knows you.