Home buying thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

taebin

Same trailer, different park
opiate82 said:
You know, generally you seem like a smart guy, but whenever you post you are such a stand-offish abrasive asshole that it just makes you look like an arrogant fuck who is simply trying to act like an internet badass by belittling others. It"s no wonder you have such a hard time getting a point across.
This is his schtick. I really hope he"s not like this off the internet. Feel sorry for his wife & friends.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
TheCutlery said:
And lets be fucking serious here, the people doing those jobs aren"t dropping out of Harvard to follow their true calling. Nothing I said was incorrect in the slightest. Don"t like my tone? Fair assessment. Few people do. But I"m not wrong.
Ha. I have people in my family who didn"t go to college and are making bank. One"s even retiring at 50 with millions in the bank and that much in assets (houses, land, farm, horses, kennel, farm equipment, lake house, etc.).

You"re the worst kind of wrong and arrogant to boot. Hard work trumps a degree every day of the week.

TheCutlery said:
It"s your money, and I don"t give a shit.
You must have loads of spare time to waste time reading and posting on things you don"t give a shit about.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
joeboo13 said:
Because a slip of paper from a four year university is the ultimate test of intelligence.

Good argument
Not to mention that most trades are 4-5 year programs with somewhere around 8 months of schooling along the way to become a certified journeyman. You know, outside of general laborers, like Mr. Cutlery himself. Getting a trade ticket, for all intents and purposes is nearly the equivalent of getting a bachelors in something. You might not have as much theoretical knowledge, but you"ve got a lot more applicable knowledge and a lot of experience to boot.

Oneofone said:
This is what happens when you make broad generalizations because you have to defend your ego publicly.
Are you new here? This is his schtick. I saw his original post generalizing about how all construction workers are basically morons, and decided just to pass it by because it"s not worth it.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Oh for fuck"s sake. Are you guys for real?

We"ve got Lyrical in here every day bitching about how everyone he hires is a fucking imbecile and you"ve fucking joined him on more than one occasion Eomer, don"t fucking lie. And aside from that there"s mountains of fucking data that shows that if you"ve got a goddamned college degree, you earn more fucking money. I"m not saying everyone who puts up fucking sheetrock is Merlin, but if you"re gonna start with this all or nothing shit every time I saw something like "MOSTof the people you have actually doing the work around your house (including the people who built it) are not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed" then we"re gonna be here all fucking day arguing semantics, not withstanding the fact that I that trades are the way to go and have labor jobs all my fucking life.

Now, if you wanna sit there and pretend that I"m looking down on shit when I"m pointing out fucking facts, go right ahead, I honestly don"t give a shit. But it"s not what I said, and it"s not what I meant, and you fuckers need to stop taking snippets of shit outta context and extrapolating it out to something I didn"t mean. If you want to honestly claim that what I said was factually incorrect, then you"re saying people doing manual labor for a living are somehow smarter than the rest of the population, and I think you"ve got a tough road to walk.

Fuck, you guys sit here saying "get a home inspection" and then in basically the same breath say "There"s no qualifications required to be a home inspector, just a class down at the community college" and then you fucking dog pile me for the same shit. Unreal. But go ahead. Regale me with more how who applies for or works with you is a fucking genius.

I don"t think that going to college or having a degree makes you smart, and quite honestly, I think it"s bullshit that it"s even required for most jobs, but I"ve spent more than enough time working with people who didn"t to know that not going doesn"t make you intelligent either. You really gonna sit here and tell me that when faced with a blind choice of who"s more intelligent, you"re gonna pick the guy who installed your windows over the accountant?

This is his schtick. I really hope he"s not like this off the internet. Feel sorry for his wife & friends.
Yeah, because like minded people never congregate, right?

Loftish v2_foh

shitlord
TheCutlery said:
Oh for fuck"s sake. Are you guys for real?

We"ve got Lyrical in here every day bitching about how everyone he hires is a fucking imbecile and you"ve fucking joined him on more than one occasion Eomer, don"t fucking lie. And aside from that there"s mountains of fucking data that shows that if you"ve got a goddamned college degree, you earn more fucking money. I"m not saying everyone who puts up fucking sheetrock is Merlin, but if you"re gonna start with this all or nothing shit every time I saw something like "MOSTof the people you have actually doing the work around your house (including the people who built it) are not exactly the sharpest tools in the shed" then we"re gonna be here all fucking day arguing semantics, not withstanding the fact that I that trades are the way to go and have labor jobs all my fucking life.

Now, if you wanna sit there and pretend that I"m looking down on shit when I"m pointing out fucking facts, go right ahead, I honestly don"t give a shit. But it"s not what I said, and it"s not what I meant, and you fuckers need to stop taking snippets of shit outta context and extrapolating it out to something I didn"t mean. If you want to honestly claim that what I said was factually incorrect, then you"re saying people doing manual labor for a living are somehow smarter than the rest of the population, and I think you"ve got a tough road to walk.

Fuck, you guys sit here saying "get a home inspection" and then in basically the same breath say "There"s no qualifications required to be a home inspector, just a class down at the community college" and then you fucking dog pile me for the same shit. Unreal. But go ahead. Regale me with more how who applies for or works with you is a fucking genius.

I don"t think that going to college or having a degree makes you smart, and quite honestly, I think it"s bullshit that it"s even required for most jobs, but I"ve spent more than enough time working with people who didn"t to know that not going doesn"t make you intelligent either. You really gonna sit here and tell me that when faced with a blind choice of who"s more intelligent, you"re gonna pick the guy who installed your windows over the accountant?

Yeah, because like minded people never congregate, right?
Just stop. You sound like more of a douchebag with every post of yours that I read.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Cut seems to have forgotten his midwestern values, location must have been mistyped

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm..this is pretty interesting stuff. I could of swore the inspectors in my area had to shadow a guy already doing it for a at least 100 hours.. I"m lucky to have a fuck ton of friends working in every damn Union in philly so when I bought my house I had the inspector run through and 6 of my friends. The inspector missed a few things but overall he did a good job. I also used a guy who I had mutual friends with. Never use the realtor"s

joeboo13_foh

shitlord
Not really related to anything discussed yet, but I was very surprised to find this out...

I have a buddy that is a firefighter here in KC, HUD has a program where he can purchase a home, they work out a 50/50 1st and 2nd loan on the home and if he stays in it for 3 years they wipe out the 2nd 50% loan. Basically get a house for half price.

I guess a lot of major cities participate in that HUD promotion in order to attract firemen, police, EMTs, teachers, etc to town. It"s called something like the Good Neighbor Next Door program. It used to be 80/20, but they recently bumped it up to 50/50. Hell of a deal for anyone in those professions.

Chaotic_foh

shitlord
Problem with that HUD shit is that (at least around here) it"s GARBAGE neighborhoods. The kind of stuff where you"d be quite literally killed walking the streets at night.

I"ve been in and out of this thread, a number life changes including family life and a major break up have delayed / confused me about what my plans are. (Girl I thought I was going to marry which is now over lived an hour east, we were looking at areas east of here, girl i"ve been dating now lives way west - and although I have no plan to buy anything with her, it"s got my attention to the west alittle which is where I would be if I was a bachelor anyway etc)

However, a new twist has appeared. I"ve got a shitton of money put away now, just about $100,000 cash. The advice / insight i"m looking for involves the aftermath of hurricane Irene. The coastal portion of where I live (Long island) is DEVASTATED. I"m talking entire neighborhoods just wiped out or destroyed via flooding and wind. The question is;

I"ve always wanted water front. Without getting someone else"s abortion, do you think that this (as in next 6 ish months) would be a prime opportunity to toss out some lowballs for people looking to migrate off waterfront property? OR, would it be the opposite because people are going to build bigger / badder with fema / insurance money.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I"m not being a dick in saying this, just honest. Look at what you wrote. Sit back, relax, and think it over.

Chaotic said:
The coastal portion of where I live (Long island) is DEVASTATED. I"m talking entire neighborhoods just wiped out or destroyed via flooding and wind.
do you think that this would be a prime opportunity to toss out some lowballs for people looking to migrate off waterfront property?

Unidin_foh

shitlord
Chaotic said:
Problem with that HUD shit is that (at least around here) it"s GARBAGE neighborhoods. The kind of stuff where you"d be quite literally killed walking the streets at night.

I"ve been in and out of this thread, a number life changes including family life and a major break up have delayed / confused me about what my plans are. (Girl I thought I was going to marry which is now over lived an hour east, we were looking at areas east of here, girl i"ve been dating now lives way west - and although I have no plan to buy anything with her, it"s got my attention to the west alittle which is where I would be if I was a bachelor anyway etc)

However, a new twist has appeared. I"ve got a shitton of money put away now, just about $100,000 cash. The advice / insight i"m looking for involves the aftermath of hurricane Irene. The coastal portion of where I live (Long island) is DEVASTATED. I"m talking entire neighborhoods just wiped out or destroyed via flooding and wind. The question is;

I"ve always wanted water front. Without getting someone else"s abortion, do you think that this (as in next 6 ish months) would be a prime opportunity to toss out some lowballs for people looking to migrate off waterfront property? OR, would it be the opposite because people are going to build bigger / badder with fema / insurance money.
Most of these people will have insurance money to rebuild, so they"ll have to rebuild then deal with selling. With everyone rebuilding, the rebuild time may be longer than normal. Unless you want to get lucky and just buy a plot and build from scratch.

Chaotic_foh

shitlord
OneofOne said:
I"m not being a dick in saying this, just honest. Look at what you wrote. Sit back, relax, and think it over.
I know. I don"t care about flooding. Get insurance call it a day, or do like my friend did and just raise the house. To me the risks are far outweighed by the beauty of the view.

Unidin, that"s about what I thought.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Chaotic said:
I know. I don"t care about flooding. Get insurance call it a day, or do like my friend did and just raise the house. To me the risks are far outweighed by the beauty of the view.

Unidin, that"s about what I thought.
Yeah, that"s why people live there. And also why everything they own is destroyed.

Look, there"s a lot of shit that you can live with when you buy a house, there"s a lot of suboptimal things that can be overlooked. But mass flooding, especially in a coastal area where the sea level is projected to rise pretty dramatically over your lifetime? That"s just dumb. It"s not as simple as "Just pump the water out, go back to your regular life." Houses with water in them for any amount of time are gonna need to be completely gutted, the floors will be shit, the walls will be shit, there"s gonna be mold everywhere. That"s not something that"s balanced out by "a view" dude. And it"s most certainly not going to be as simple as "get insurance" because that insurance is going to very quickly become more expensive than the house.

splorge_foh

shitlord
Personally, I think the time is awesome to purchase investment property in the U.S. with a time horizon of 10-15 years. Im looking at chicago and my guts are telling me its a screaming buy.

Appreciation not the compelling factor, its the insanely low rates combined with inflation hedge. Chicago also has experienced a much bigger dip than other large U.S. cities (boston/sanfran). I am actively looking to add something to my portfolio.

What markets are other FoH"ers looking at, inside and outside U.S.?

Thaxon_foh

shitlord
splorge said:
Personally, I think the time is awesome to purchase investment property in the U.S. with a time horizon of 10-15 years. Im looking at chicago and my guts are telling me its a screaming buy.

Appreciation not the compelling factor, its the insanely low rates combined with inflation hedge. Chicago also has experienced a much bigger dip than other large U.S. cities (boston/sanfran). I am actively looking to add something to my portfolio.

What markets are other FoH"ers looking at, inside and outside U.S.?
I live near Savannah, GA, and I think our market is pretty good for buying existing properties right now. I used to own a trim contracting company and I saw the signs and got out of the market just in time. There is a surplus of existing homes on the market that can be had fairly cheaply, you just have to do your homework and wade through the dumb-ass banks until you find one that actually wants to sell its properties.

Example: There is a house I and my wife have been looking at. It went on the market in March of this past year. After almost 9 months of no activity the price was RAISED from $89 to $99 grand (Cost of living is kind of cheap here, housing is really affordable, but the quality of recent homes is crap). The home is over-priced by about $15 to $18 grand, considering the work that needs to be done to it.

Like you said, available rates are what are driving me to look into buying again. We bought our last house in 2004, sold it in 2008. We had great credit when we bought, due to a variety of reasons we have average to crap credit now. The rates our broker has presented us with are significantly better than when we bought with great credit 8 years ago. Though we had intended to wait another year we feel that we can"t pass up the opportunity now.