Home Improvement

lurker

Vyemm Raider
So I'm redoing the spare bedroom. Painted yesterday and this morning, furniture is coming in next week, just have a few more decor pieces to pick up.

I saw an LED electric fireplace at Costco and thought it would be pretty cool for the wall in that room to add some ambiance, but I'd rather just not have heat to save some cash since, well, it's not really needed most the year and I have a heat pump anyway. Anyone know any company that makes them on the cheap? The least expensive ones I can find simply decorative are from Napoleon and cost more than the actual heater/fireplace units.
On all the units I've seen, you have the option of just not turning the heat on. I don't think the heater is the expensive part of the fireplace.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
24x12 deck has nearly killed me. 1080 2" screws in the deck board. Called an audible on the railing today to make sure it's 42" per code, took me about 2 extra hours, come home to my new construction house with a professionally built deck that's about 25 feet off the ground and it only has 35"... i don't know why i bother.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Looking good dude.

The master bedroom in my house is extension of the house and instead of sitting on the basement like everything else it's on a crawlspace(the creepy looking kind). The result are "funny" smells in the room during summer and the floor is cold as fuck in winter. I spent all afternoon bent over in there, installing a vapor barrier on the ground and attaching foam boards on the concrete walls of the crawlspace. I hope to god this will make a difference because I've got the feeling my back is going to feel like hell all week.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Contractor tearing off the old aluminum siding yesterday calls and says they're getting shocked by the siding. Track it down to an original circuit but it doesn't have any outlets on the exterior wall.
Could be a lot of things but my first guess would be a nail.

Burn your house down. It's the only way to be sure.

Picasso3

Lejina the cavity where the joists rest on the foundation is a good insulation place too.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
24x12 deck has nearly killed me. 1080 2" screws in the deck board. Called an audible on the railing today to make sure it's 42" per code, took me about 2 extra hours, come home to my new construction house with a professionally built deck that's about 25 feet off the ground and it only has 35"... i don't know why i bother.
Is it really 42" by code there? I have no idea what code is here but the railing we do on platforms a couple hundred feet up are 36" by OSHA requirements.

Picasso3

42" rail for any falls over 5 ft 10 inches per ibc i think but it won't apply to your shit.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Lejina the cavity where the joists rest on the foundation is a good insulation place too.
Oh yeah that was already done and so were the joists for the entire floor area. Problem is with no insulation on the foundations and no heating in the crawlspace means there's a room at like -40 right below the bedroom, makes for a cold floor. Hopefully with the changes the crawlspace will be significantly warmer. I'll be able to tell in the coming months.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Alright gang I need your opinions. We had Mass Save come and evaluate us for having insulation installed. Attached is the estimate they gave us. The full cost is $6788 with a $2000 credit which will make it $4788 out of pocket for us. I literally know jack shit about this stuff. Would just like to confirm this shit is on the level. Oh if it helps our house is a 2 floor cape that is approx. 1200 sq. ft.

rrr_img_109671.jpg

rrr_img_109672.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I have a ~1400 square foot house and I blew another 12" of insulation into my entire attic myself, and I think the insulation + the blower rental from Lowes cost about $400

5 grand seems a bit much...it's not a hard job unless you're having to completely remove what is already there, and replace it all. If you're just blowing more in, it's no biggie. It's a 2 person job, 1 feeds insulation into the machine down on the ground, and another holds the end of the hose up in the attic and blow it all around.

$69 for a door sweep and $82 for weather stripping on a door is goddamn ridiculous. That's like $20 worth of crap from Home Depot you can easily do yourself.

Unless you're having some serious moisture/mold issues, I can't see where this should possibly cost you this much.

edit - I do see where they are putting additional insulation in a wall? Yeah...that would probably be hard to do on your own. Attics are easy though.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Alright gang I need your opinions. We had Mass Save come and evaluate us for having insulation installed. Attached is the estimate they gave us. The full cost is $6788 with a $2000 credit which will make it $4788 out of pocket for us. I literally know jack shit about this stuff. Would just like to confirm this shit is on the level. Oh if it helps our house is a 2 floor cape that is approx. 1200 sq. ft.

rrr_img_109671.jpg

rrr_img_109672.jpg
I think the question is how much is it going to net you? Is your house uncomfortable or unlivable?

Looking at MA, the average cost per KWH is ~15c supposedly. For $4800, that's 32 MWH... Even if you assume the 'best' case scenario and you save $100/mo on utilities on average (which is outrageous) that's 4 years to recoup that.

Of course you can say 'well I'm going to be here 10 years so it'll work out eventually' but then you have to contrast your full quote to just doing the attic (huge savings on heat loss most likely) and maybe changing out some drafty windows and redoing all the door/window seals, sweeps/gaskets, etc.

Also, make sure to double check but some of those insulation types will murder your cell signal - not to say it's not worth doing attic but if you do the walls to you might be super pissed you have to go outside to make a call. Happened to my last apartment because it was all foam and blow-in insulated out the ass.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well we have oil heat and with zero insulation (we have literally NONE) the cost is absolutely fucking ridiculous in the winter. And we've had some COLD ass winters lately so the savings would be pretty huge.
Now I did go online and found a huge list of Mass Save approved contractors so we're going to have a few of them come and give us their direct estimates.
I'll keep things in mind going forward. Thank you guys.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just start with your attic, you can do that shit yourself in one day. Then do the walls the next year. But $4800 seems like a lot of cash for insulation. I know its just esy to plunk down cash and have it done, but have you even looked at doing it yourself? Im sure there are ways to insulate your walls on the cheap as well, just search youtube.

Im sure you could have all that shit done for less than $1500 if you do it yourself, and thats including patching the holes in your walls.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm baffled as to how there is any structure(much less a residential home) in a climate that goes well below freezing for several months per year that has zero insulation to start with.

Are you converting a barn to a home or something?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Because they didnt have codes for that shit back in the day. No code, why spend money on insulation? My late 60s era house, the last one I owned didnt have shit for insulation either. none in the walls and none in the ceiling. and we live in Michigan so we get hot ass summers and cold ass winters.