Home Improvement

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have a metal railing on our entrance stairs (cement). The paint is chipping and it's rusting in some spots.

What are my best options on redoing it? Just go over the rust, sand it as best I can? I'm a noob when it comes to home ownership.. I felt like a goddamn superman when I replaced the plumbers putty on my kitchen sinks.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
We have a metal railing on our entrance stairs (cement). The paint is chipping and it's rusting in some spots.

What are my best options on redoing it? Just go over the rust, sand it as best I can? I'm a noob when it comes to home ownership.. I felt like a goddamn superman when I replaced the plumbers putty on my kitchen sinks.
Hammerite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia?

How old is the railing? What kind of metal? You can brush it off with a steel brush (I'd rather not use a hand operated one but instead one that you put in your power drill), or with an angle grinder with the right disc. There are also chemical options (paint stripper).

You can also just go over the rust, sand it as best you can, and re-paint, but it will look shit again soon.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Tractor supply has metal ones in the spring/summer when people are waterning their yard.
It's hard to tell if the internal gears are metal or plastic, you can't really see them at all from the outside. All of the exteriors are thick metal. I didn't know that mine had plastic gears until it stopped working and I tore it open to see what was up

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The ones I linked supposedly have metal gears, but I gather that they run out of stock in the summer due to stocking stores or somesuch.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hammerite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia?

How old is the railing? What kind of metal? You can brush it off with a steel brush (I'd rather not use a hand operated one but instead one that you put in your power drill), or with an angle grinder with the right disc. There are also chemical options (paint stripper).

You can also just go over the rust, sand it as best you can, and re-paint, but it will look shit again soon.
Railing I assume is a couple years old, I don't know what type of metal it is. Maybe I'll look into something for my drill.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
T0vtnOc.jpg

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Following my post about Buying a house...Buying a house.

Ok, we've been given a pretty big list of things that need to get done in order to sell the house. The biggest being that my washer and dryer are currently located up on my top floor in an empty bedroom. I've been requested to put these back in the basement. It was a pain in the ass, but it's done. I had to redo some wiring and place a new 220v plug for the dryer. Then I had to fuck with my plumbing a little big.

Now I'm encountering an issue. I have a water softerner that's placed in pretty much the middle of my one wall in the basement, and I need to now hire a plumber (because I don't feel like dealing with that shit) just to relocate a few lines so that I can perminantly place my laundry sink, washer and dryer a little further down the wall so that it won't interfere with my fuse box. Stupid code.

Oh well, here we go.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I also need to have a granite counter top placed in my kitchen, so I'm pricing that out as well.

Good times...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Will a home not sell at all in your area without updated/granite counter tops? Seems a little crazy if so. I can see it affecting the value of the home if your kitchen is out of date, but not being a complete deal killer. You might just not get top-dollar for your home. I mean, short of the current kitchen being in such poor condition that it's basically falling apart, I can't see that being a deal breaker. In fact, some people would rather pay less for a house and then put in the finishings they want, rather than paying more for something already re-finished. Then again, if it's a $3000 upgrade that would get you $5-$10k more for your house, then it's a no-brainer.

My wife and I have been casually looking at homes for the last few months. We're looking for something in the 4-bedroom. 2500 square foot range. In this part of the country, that either puts a price on your home of $190-$210k if everything needs to be remodeled(bathrooms, kitchen, floors, etc), or $250-$270k if all of that is already done. Personally, I think I'd rather buy the $200,000 house and put $50k of my own remodeling in rather than buying the completed $250k house. Same money either way, but at least I get exactly what I want in the first scenario.

I'm kinda in the same boat with our current home. 1 bathroom and the kitchen are pretty old (1980s, tile countertops, etc). I could spend 20-30k remodeling both, and maybe get 15-20k more for the house. It would probably sell faster as well, once we get to that point, but the money investment just doesn't make sense. It would make sense if we were staying for another 5+ years and got to use the upgrades ourselves, but I doubt we'll be here even close to that long.

It seems like(around here at least) the only deal-killers for buying homes is if something integral to the functionality of the home needs immediate replacement, like a roof or HVAC(and those really suck, because they add no value to your home if you have new ones, but good luck selling your house if they are old and need replacing)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Following my post about Buying a house...Buying a house.

Ok, we've been given a pretty big list of things that need to get done in order to sell the house. The biggest being that my washer and dryer are currently located up on my top floor in an empty bedroom.I've been requested to put these back in the basement.It was a pain in the ass, but it's done. I had to redo some wiring and place a new 220v plug for the dryer. Then I had to fuck with my plumbing a little big.

Now I'm encountering an issue. I have a water softerner that's placed in pretty much the middle of my one wall in the basement, and I need to now hire a plumber (because I don't feel like dealing with that shit) just to relocate a few lines so that I can perminantly place my laundry sink, washer and dryer a little further down the wall so that it won't interfere with my fuse box. Stupid code.

Oh well, here we go.
By whom? First it seems like you are on a wild goose chase to close on a 'mold-ridden' basement house being sold 'under value' is a true gem that only you have lucked into or seen the TRUECAR VALUE and now you (apparently) have realtors telling you to make expensive changes to your current house to sell it on the market which conveniently also ups their own commission.

This seems like you are being led around by 18 leashes all vying for their own self interest and you are just going "OK, you're the expert!" every step of the way which is a sure-fire way to get fucked over and over in the real estate market.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Well, it's been a couple weeks now and the odd wet leaves smell that used to be in the bedroom, especially with the door closed, is completely gone and the floor is warmer as well.
All in all it was about $300 to insulate the crawlspace and run a vapor barrier on the entire dirt ground. Worth it for the cleaner air alone. Amazing that in the 50 years this house has been up, I'm the only one who thought this had to be fixed..

rrr_img_110771.jpg

It's not pretty, but it works.
Insulation is an amazing thing.

Just going to leave it as that or cover it with something? I can imagine you could store stuff in there.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
It's not a storage area. The access is a trap door from outside, that is about 18" high by 30" wide and it's 3 foot above ground when inside.. Working in there and realizing you forgot a tool in the garage involve some cussing. So yeah, I'm not covering anything, the ground is also prety rough, wouldn't take much traffic to eventually tear the vapor barrier and since it's a non storage area i can leave the foam bare and still meet code.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
By whom? First it seems like you are on a wild goose chase to close on a 'mold-ridden' basement house being sold 'under value' is a true gem that only you have lucked into or seen the TRUECAR VALUE and now you (apparently) have realtors telling you to make expensive changes to your current house to sell it on the market which conveniently also ups their own commission.

This seems like you are being led around by 18 leashes all vying for their own self interest and you are just going "OK, you're the expert!" every step of the way which is a sure-fire way to get fucked over and over in the real estate market.
Palum, putting the washer and dryer back in the basement is a no brainer. I have converted my 3rd bedroom into my wife's office and the laundry room. Up on the 2nd floor for ease of use. However, the housing market would rather see a 3rd bedroom than a 2 bedroom house. Especially when it comes to growing families, which is exactly the target for "most" Townhouses such as the one I will be selling.

As far as seeing this mold ridden basement, when I first saw the house, my answer to the realtor was no let's keep looking. He didn't bring it up again. However, I thought about it that night (and pretty much every night since then). I'm still planning on buying this house. Especially because the mold in question is just some surface stuff that can be wiped off with soap and water. Some anti-mold solution might help also, but it's not real severe. I'm looking at the house with tons of potential that I personally can work on. It's exactly what I'm looking for, and no other house I've been in since has held a candle to that place. YES it needs work, but nothing it needs is out of my control. I can easily do 99% of the work myself, and that excites me.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Will a home not sell at all in your area without updated/granite counter tops? Seems a little crazy if so. I can see it affecting the value of the home if your kitchen is out of date, but not being a complete deal killer. You might just not get top-dollar for your home. I mean, short of the current kitchen being in such poor condition that it's basically falling apart, I can't see that being a deal breaker. In fact, some people would rather pay less for a house and then put in the finishings they want, rather than paying more for something already re-finished. Then again, if it's a $3000 upgrade that would get you $5-$10k more for your house, then it's a no-brainer.

My wife and I have been casually looking at homes for the last few months. We're looking for something in the 4-bedroom. 2500 square foot range. In this part of the country, that either puts a price on your home of $190-$210k if everything needs to be remodeled(bathrooms, kitchen, floors, etc), or $250-$270k if all of that is already done. Personally, I think I'd rather buy the $200,000 house and put $50k of my own remodeling in rather than buying the completed $250k house. Same money either way, but at least I get exactly what I want in the first scenario.

I'm kinda in the same boat with our current home. 1 bathroom and the kitchen are pretty old (1980s, tile countertops, etc). I could spend 20-30k remodeling both, and maybe get 15-20k more for the house. It would probably sell faster as well, once we get to that point, but the money investment just doesn't make sense. It would make sense if we were staying for another 5+ years and got to use the upgrades ourselves, but I doubt we'll be here even close to that long.

It seems like(around here at least) the only deal-killers for buying homes is if something integral to the functionality of the home needs immediate replacement, like a roof or HVAC(and those really suck, because they add no value to your home if you have new ones, but good luck selling your house if they are old and need replacing)
The only reason I could see doing it would be to attract a small down payment buyer. If the house goes from $220k to $225k by installing granite, than someone who's only putting down 3.5% can still buy it whereas if they bought it at $220k, they might not have the extra $5k to put it in themselves after the sale.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I tried to find such a house. Apparently the agents where I looked only knew two phrases. Granite countertops and crown moulding.

They literally couldn't fathom someone buying a smaller or older house in an effort to get more land or at least a place to build a shop. All they wanted to show me is 6 bedroom houses and said "granite countertops" and "crown mouding" at least 40 times per conversation.

Another good one is celing fans. LOL. Like if it didn't have them I could add them with very minimal investment of time or money.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Palum, putting the washer and dryer back in the basement is a no brainer. I have converted my 3rd bedroom into my wife's office and the laundry room. Up on the 2nd floor for ease of use. However, the housing market would rather see a 3rd bedroom than a 2 bedroom house. Especially when it comes to growing families, which is exactly the target for "most" Townhouses such as the one I will be selling.

As far as seeing this mold ridden basement, when I first saw the house, my answer to the realtor was no let's keep looking. He didn't bring it up again. However, I thought about it that night (and pretty much every night since then). I'm still planning on buying this house. Especially because the mold in question is just some surface stuff that can be wiped off with soap and water. Some anti-mold solution might help also, but it's not real severe. I'm looking at the house with tons of potential that I personally can work on. It's exactly what I'm looking for, and no other house I've been in since has held a candle to that place. YES it needs work, but nothing it needs is out of my control. I can easily do 99% of the work myself, and that excites me.
I don't get what you mean, it's still a 3rd bedroom unless you removed the closet, window or door. I have a 3 BR and one was already an office and will remain that way. Did you not even list it to see if people want it? What are you doing with the granite? If the cabinets need to be redone then granite is a waste because you can't really reuse the counter tops. What if someone says they don't like the color?

I mean if you are going to renovate, renovate, but changing out a bunch of shit willy nilly like that seems odd unless it was just shitty before and now you are 'fixing' it not making changes based upon your perception of other people's desire in a house (which is never right).