Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
A while back you guys recommended a chemical drain cleaner that is supposed to sit for a few days (while you're out of town or whatever). I went back a few pages and searched, but couldn't find it. Anyone happen to remember the name of the product?

Edit: Apparently the reason I couldn't find it in this thread is because it was actually discussed inthis thread. Oops.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Went out to my detached garage to drive to work and noticed there was a small leak. I've seen this only once before and after it dried, I went up there to inspect and couldn't find anything wrong. Is there another way to detect/fix an inconsistent leak? I'm sure I've driven to/from work while raining enough times that I would have noticed this more than twice if the leak was more consistent. Nothing special about the rain today. Moderate throughput, it's been raining for a while, no wind.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Find whatever is flashed, it's leaking.

Got a 21k quote to finish 850 sq ft basement with drywall, 3.29 sq ft floor budget, and drop ceiling. Need Mexicans.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My only experience with flashing is connecting something like a deck to a house. Where would the flashing be in a garage and how can I get to it? It's basically all shingle up there.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Went out to my detached garage to drive to work and noticed there was a small leak. I've seen this only once before and after it dried, I went up there to inspect and couldn't find anything wrong. Is there another way to detect/fix an inconsistent leak? I'm sure I've driven to/from work while raining enough times that I would have noticed this more than twice if the leak was more consistent. Nothing special about the rain today. Moderate throughput, it's been raining for a while, no wind.
What was wet? Just the concrete floor? A wall? A drip from the ceiling?

Are there any vents or vent pipes in the roof that would have flashing around them? Basically anything in the roof at all that breaks up the natural flow of the shingles? (skylight, vents, etc?)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Drip from the ceiling near the apex, where the first board of plywood starts. There are no vents or pipes on the roof of the garage. Though, I could be wrong, I'm going on just memory here, I don't spend a lot of time staring at the roof of my garage.

Picasso3

If you have a ridge vent i'd see if it was full of shit up on the roof, they typically have little weep holes along a channel I think.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Googling pictures of a ridge vent(first house noob here), that looks likely. If it is clogged as you suggest, how would that let water in? And how do you go about fixing that, aside from just removing whatever you can get at.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I can't imagine a ridge vent clogged or otherwise allowing water into the attic. That isn't how it's designed. Maybe hurricane winds, but you need to worry about shingles flying off during that.

Picasso3

The water can't flow out the way it's supposed to so it backs up through the ridge it's venting, or it backs up over a nail and follows that. I'd just remove the debris and see. You may caulk a nail head or something but no sense in theorizing until you find a likely problem.

Picasso3

I can't imagine a ridge vent clogged or otherwise allowing water into the attic. That isn't how it's designed. Maybe hurricane winds, but you need to worry about shingles flying off during that.
Good point, has a hurricane come through recently and blown your roof off? Did you recently have proprietary vent ridge installed by an amateur inventor?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Building closet organizers today... best Ric Flair impression "WOOOO!" I know you are all jealous!

I am making the best of it and reminiscing the days of my youth by rocking out to 80's music.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
Ridge vents leak all the time. Especially the shitty aluminum type. There are two basic types of ridge vents. An aluminum ridge vent that comes in 10ft pieces that's typically a white, black, or brown ridge vent. The other type is a shingle over ridge vent that has cap shingles nailed over the top.

Let me know which type you have.

iannis

Musty Nester
So you like rotted decks, 30 year roofs with raised corners, 30 year old paint job/color schemes & shitty gutters?
Nah, a lot of that shit needed to go. And the practicality of having a deck raised just to chest height... you couldn't use the space underneath for anything much besides storage. and for that it would have needed to be walled in and the deck would have needed to be a solid surface and something would have to be done about the water. So there are some challenges in replacing it.

I did like the deck though. This does give you a lot more space and makes it cleaner. Something about the stairs looks a little bit strange.

But this is the south. Every house has a deck / long porch on it. That's probably the only reason it looks odd.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ridge vents leak all the time. Especially the shitty aluminum type. There are two basic types of ridge vents. An aluminum ridge vent that comes in 10ft pieces that's typically a white, black, or brown ridge vent. The other type is a shingle over ridge vent that has cap shingles nailed over the top.

Let me know which type you have.
Haven't been up there yet since I posted but I'm pretty sure it's the cap shingle because I remember it being the same material as the rest of the roof.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You would be able to see the cap shingle from the inside. The top of the roof isn't sealed like normal. There's a small opening. / \ for example. You can look up (or reach up) and feel the underside of a shingle on the other side.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
You would be able to see the cap shingle from the inside. The top of the roof isn't sealed like normal. There's a small opening. / \ for example. You can look up (or reach up) and feel the underside of a shingle on the other side.
Not exactly right. Some cheap cap over ridgevents are a thin mesh that you can barely see through to the shingles but most you cant. If you have unobstructed vision of the shingles through a gap at the peak you don't have a ridgevent.

To op: The only advice i can give you is make sure none of the cap shingles blew off the ridge vent. You can also measure inside from the outside wall to where the leak is coming in at and then go up on the roof and measure to that spot(make sure to add for roof overhangs etc.) and see if anything looks out of place. Don't go up on the roof if its a steeper pitch or you're not comfortable with it. Not worth falling of a roof for a small leak. Or just call a professional.

Picasso3

Also, if you have a tiny leak every 6 months that falls on a concrete floor I won't think any less of you if you just ignore it. The roof will get redone in 10 years and then it'll be fixed/under warranty.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Building closet organizers today... best Ric Flair impression "WOOOO!" I know you are all jealous!

I am making the best of it and reminiscing the days of my youth by rocking out to 80's music.
What design or brand did you go with? This is my project for next year in m6 condo. I am leaning actually towards paying for a package like closetsbydesign versus DYI. I wanted something that would help resale value.