Home Improvement

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Paying for a closet doesn't really help your resale value. However, if you plan something out ahead of time, you can do it fairly easily with ClosetMaid (the closet stuff Home Depot supplies).

I believe they have a website that will help you plan it out ahead of time, then print out all of the materials that you'll use in the process. I didn't do that myself, but it would definitely be easy. I made quite a few really nice closets in my house with their stuff.

This is their website.
ClosetMaid Home and Closet Organizers

And here's a direct link to the closet designer app thing.
Select Room Type

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
We have a pretty big walk in closet in the master bedroom. When we moved in it was an empty shell, no shelves or anything. I lined it with cedar and then made a custom closet system. not including the cedar, as you're not doing that, it probably cost me about 400$ worth of lumber and an intense weekend's worth of work.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
What design or brand did you go with? This is my project for next year in m6 condo. I am leaning actually towards paying for a package like closetsbydesign versus DYI. I wanted something that would help resale value.
Nothing fancy, Rubbermaid Homefree Series. I considered Allen-Roth because it is wood (at least it looks like wood) and looks higher end, but honestly it is rather limiting and not have as customization as the Rubbermaid Series. I actually bought the Allen-Roth set first and brought it home, but luckily I changed my mind before I opened the boxes. If we had a walk in closet with room to spare like we had our last place (8'x 12') then I would have stuck with Allen-Roth, but here we have two sliding doors and the closet is only 3' x 8'.

Regarding resale value I am not sure your would recoup the cost of anything high end, unless you went really high end. Then depending on where your home value lands, does a really high end closet fit into that price bracket? If you go with a universal system like Rubbermaid then you are allowing the next owner to add on (move things around) and customize the way they want. If you have a certain wood look/theme running through out your condo then you may want to look at the Closetmaid series that has wood trim. I do most my shopping at Lowe's and they carry Allen-Roth and Rubbermaid, Home Depot carries the Closet maid with wood trim, honestly had I seen that first that is the way I would have gone.

Closetmaid with Wood Trim looks a little nicer, but at the end of the day we are talking closets. Functionality is greater than all, but that does not mean it has to look like shit either. Keep in mind once it is full clothes you will never see the guts/trak system anyway.

Last edited:

Corndog

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have some ideas to light up a sign without access to power? For my business I need to light up a sign which doesn't have easy power access. I'm basically looking for Led lights that run on battery but WITHOUT the motion sensor part. I can't seem to find anything, anyone seen something like this?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Anyone have some ideas to light up a sign without access to power? For my business I need to light up a sign which doesn't have easy power access. I'm basically looking for Led lights that run on battery but WITHOUT the motion sensor part. I can't seem to find anything, anyone seen something like this?
Size of sign, height off ground, interior/exterior, type of sign/ground (granite/wood/in dirt or concrete/etc.), sunlight exposure, temp/permanent use, risk of theft? Need the deets.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for the replies above. I have a newly built condo and was thinking of matching the closets to what I have in my bathroom and kitchen so it looks completely seemless in design. The bedroom closet is a small walk-in 7x6 with a double door. Just thought it would add a good touch during showings with something higher end. Closetmaid is more of what I am looking for. Thanks.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Got some of these for my mom for christmas. LED nightlight built into the outlet cover. It has a deal on the back that snaps onto the outlet and gets power. Really bright and doesn't take up part of the plug. Took 5 minutes to put in 2 of them. Once it's on it really looks no different than a regular outlet cover except for the LED outlets at the very bottom.

They also make a USB charger one as well.

SnapPower | The Outlet Reinvented

Duplex-Five-W-450x450.jpg

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, Lowe's carries some nightlight outlet covers. They're not quite as stylish though. I assume Home Depot sells something like it as well.

Unidin

Molten Core Raider
Have you thought about something like this? I know you're in the Northwest so it may not get enough sun to work, but might be worth a shot.

Solar Sign Light by SafetySign.com - Y4996

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My thermostat is acting wonky. The room temperature doesn't change at all.I had to go into the manual settings and adjust the room temperature down through offsets, and the heat does kick on. But it just runs and runs, the room temperature never updates. The internet is like, no help. Just replace it I guess?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yeah, I'd replace that. Sounds like part of the board has failed.

Get a wifi one. Not much (if any) more, nice to have the control.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
We had a guy come and look at it and he couldn't find anything wrong. I went and got a thermometer and put itright on the thermostat. I'm probably just being crazy.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It's possible that it got hung up and disconnecting it from power and turning it back on would cause it to work again.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I was thinking something like that, but I would assume that would generate an error code. He checked for errors first thing and found nothing. I got one of those thermometers with an outdoor sensor, and I have the sensor right on top of the thermostat. It has been steady at 72, and the thermostat says 74, but both are steady and not moving so I can accept that one or the other is off a bit. Going to continue monitoring it like a crazy lunatic for the next few days.

It wasn't a totally wasted trip, he serviced the unit and checked it and told me I'm using the wrong air filters and explained why, which was awesome, and found an external ventilation pipe that was taking in a bit of water and scheduled for that to be fixed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm trying to outfit my house a bit better for the winter. Installing a nest thermostat but we have a problem where we are in a cape with only one heating zone on the first floor. This means if we turn up the heat at all upstairs gets super hot. Downstairs will be 70 and upstairs gets to 80.

Im sealing the basement windows this weekend. I also looked at adjustable radiator valves. The ones you can set1-5. Gonna throw them in upstairs. Has anyone had any issues with them? I'm thinking since it gets so hot we can just limit the water going into the radiators. Will probably save us some money too. Brother in law gonna put them in for free.

Also our basement ceilings don't have any insulation. If I throw in the pink shit down there how much will that help the first floor?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm trying to outfit my house a bit better for the winter. Installing a nest thermostat but we have a problem where we are in a cape with only one heating zone on the first floor. This means if we turn up the heat at all upstairs gets super hot. Downstairs will be 70 and upstairs gets to 80.

Im sealing the basement windows this weekend. I also looked at adjustable radiator valves. The ones you can set1-5. Gonna throw them in upstairs. Has anyone had any issues with them? I'm thinking since it gets so hot we can just limit the water going into the radiators. Will probably save us some money too. Brother in law gonna put them in for free.

Also our basement ceilings don't have any insulation. If I throw in the pink shit down there how much will that help the first floor?
Insulation could help a little bit but it's likely not going to make a big difference, still can't escape the issue that hot air rises so it's not going to radiate as much out of your floor. However, if the joists are exposed then why not? It's certainly cheap and easy enough.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Trying to find a massaging shower head that has no scald guard and is high energy / water flow (there is some other term for the water not beating the shit out of you? I don't remember it right now.). Basically I want one that will almost bruise a lesser human. Lol

Guy at the hardware store told me to go back to the 1970s, but that seems difficult.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Insulation could help a little bit but it's likely not going to make a big difference, still can't escape the issue that hot air rises so it's not going to radiate as much out of your floor. However, if the joists are exposed then why not? It's certainly cheap and easy enough.
Yeah they're exposed so it would just be cutting around pipes and shit. Is there anything I should be careful with when putting it up or just go to town? My main concern is the basement is frigid, so the first floor gets hit hard in the winter.

Also we have shitty doors leading out of the house with no seal whatsoever around them (this old flimsy wooden doors made out of planks of wood) . Wondering if there's a winter solution for that. It's one shitty door that opens to cement steps then another shitty door leading outside. Can't put a real door there as the size is weird. I'm wondering if just sealing the doorways with plastic wrap might help with the draft.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
You learn tricks living in a place. Especially with hot air rising and cold air falling. During the winter, I close most of my upstairs vents completely. And I leave open 1 in my bedroom and another in my daughter's bedroom open only half way.
Then I open almost all of the vents downstairs. I'll keep one closed in an area I don't use that often because it doesn't matter to me if warm air is blowing there or not.

In the summer, I reverse that and close most of the downstairs vents and open all of the upstairs ones.

You learn what works best for your house by living there and experimenting.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Trying to find a massaging shower head that has no scald guard and is high energy / water flow (there is some other term for the water not beating the shit out of you? I don't remember it right now.). Basically I want one that will almost bruise a lesser human. Lol

Guy at the hardware store told me to go back to the 1970s, but that seems difficult.
Buy the shower head you want, take the connector apart and drill out or remove the water saving disks. Reassemble and rip the skin from your body with glorious hot water pressure. Just be careful to not damage the metal or gaskets. Old trick my dad taught me. Wife won't let me mess with ours... something about not wanting our children to cry in the shower... I wasn't listening.