Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
450 lf and like 8 outside corners and downspouts. Gutter guards are another $800. Seamless is definitely the way to go. Getting someone that isn't a retarded methhead here seems to be a real problem.

Siliconemelons

That's good, hope the stoner does not do the install.

And that is a lot, the cost is all the corners and downspouts.

You doing your entire house?

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
I flipped a coin on where to post this question - here or in the tech threads...tails landed me here.
I want to add a security system to my home but don't necessarily want ADT or the like. I would be interested in knowing who has security devices/cameras linked to their phones etc; what hardware/software/apps etc they prefer for the ease, quality and value. I want indoor and outdoor if possible in the same family. OH and as I have a dog who lives inside and has free movement in the house throughout the day, motion sensing is important but I need to be able to tweak it.
Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Picasso3

going to make a simple desk (table) out of a 72" x 36" x 1.5" butcherblock and 4x4 rough oak posts for legs.

I'm thinking of ways to join the legs and i'd like to try getting some steel plate, drilling a few holes in it, and using it as shown. I really don't know where to go to pick up some cheap plates to try something like this. Lowes doesn't seem to have anything and online it'd be like 100 bucks. Thoughts appreciated (especially borzak)

adW98eU.png

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Buy a cheap Kreg jig and do it that way. Will be much stronger, cheaper, and more of a "clean" look to it. I think the cheapest Kreg jig is like $20 or something. They sell packages of different length screws to fit whatever you would be drilling into (like the table top).

Buying a plate like that I have no idea. If I need any kind of plate I simply walk off with it, but the smallest I could get my hands on would be 1/4"

You can buy "L" brackets already drilled from Lowes and such, connection would basically be a lot like you have there if you put an "L" on each side, one leg scewed thru to the leg and the other screwed to the bottom of the table top.

I dunno.

Kreg jig if you don't want to use it all day every day. Will work just fine.

Shop Kreg Mini Kreg Jig Pocket Hole Kit at Lowes.com

A little more to it. This is the one I have. I use the hell out of it after I got it for all kinds of stuff.

Shop Kreg Pocket Hole Jig at Lowes.com

If it needs to be hidden I dunno. Drill a hole into the table top partially and into the top of the leg and use a couple of dowels with good epoxy? I dunno. Probably work if all the table did was just sit there. No strentgh if you leaned on it tho.

Last edited:

Picasso3

I think with the 1.5 top thickness it'll be hard to get enough screw strength (development length) for the large moment arm provided by the leg. I think having the attachment to the top far out would help considerably.

May fall back to angles or chair brackets. I think to be effective they'll have to be so large that they'll be highly visible.

And I'll probably buy that jig tool too, looks cool.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
going to make a simple desk (table) out of a 72" x 36" x 1.5" butcherblock and 4x4 rough oak posts for legs.

I'm thinking of ways to join the legs and i'd like to try getting some steel plate, drilling a few holes in it, and using it as shown. I really don't know where to go to pick up some cheap plates to try something like this. Lowes doesn't seem to have anything and online it'd be like 100 bucks. Thoughts appreciated (especially borzak)

adW98eU.png

I would be hesitant making a table that way. even though you are using metal plates, theer is no lateral support for the legs other than maybe 2 screws. this is why tables are usually designed with an apron and skirts. And sometimes even employ stretchers toward the bottom for more lateral support. The only way I would fel comfortable with your type of design is if the metal bracket had a leg insert welded to it and the leg fit inside of it and screwed down that way. this way the lateral support would be with the metal bracket itself, not the wooden leg and 2 screw.

What you are going to get is a type of matchbox effect because the legs have no lateral support.

Parts of a Table

And use something like this...

Surface Mount Corner Brackets for Table Aprons

Last edited:

Picasso3

Was hoping to pull it off due to beefier legs. The lateral forces would have the width of the post top to pivot and I could have a massive lag in the middle and smaller screws around the perimeter.

For my purposes I'm going to slide this back into a cubby hole for a desk so it'll be fine if it's a shit table in normal circumstances. I'd prob do big angles or a bottom band before I'd do apron which looks like it requires carpentry skills.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Had our seven year old condo complex (5 units) suffer $200,000 worth of water/rot damage due to building defects, which was not covered by insurance. Spent two months finding a GC willing/capable of identifying the issues and fixing it. Spend months fighting for work to progress beyond a snails pace. Now the HOA finds out the GC didn't pull proper permits with the city. Good times.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Apron is easy if you do the pocket hole route. Just cut them to length. Standard 1x4 or 1x6 stock, shit you could even do 2x4 if planed down or if you could find some nice straight ones that you could sand. Pocket screwed to the top. then use the metal brackets to secure the legs. Bonus that it now becomes portable, as you can take the legs off for a move or storage.

Tust me there is a reason that tables have aprons, and its not for the look.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Shit balls, I'd just pile on the angles instead of doing that.

Well if you know anyone with a welder you could have him weld some shit together for pennies. Everyone knows of a redneck in the family with a welder. I have at least two of those, lol.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I flipped a coin on where to post this question - here or in the tech threads...tails landed me here.
I want to add a security system to my home but don't necessarily want ADT or the like. I would be interested in knowing who has security devices/cameras linked to their phones etc; what hardware/software/apps etc they prefer for the ease, quality and value. I want indoor and outdoor if possible in the same family. OH and as I have a dog who lives inside and has free movement in the house throughout the day, motion sensing is important but I need to be able to tweak it.
Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Canary - A complete security system in a single device.

Not sure about anything as easy for outdoor though.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>

Picasso3

12x12x.25 plate of steel is 30 bucks at lowes so i guess I'm fucked either way, time to call someone who works at a mine shop.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think with the 1.5 top thickness it'll be hard to get enough screw strength (development length) for the large moment arm provided by the leg. I think having the attachment to the top far out would help considerably.

May fall back to angles or chair brackets. I think to be effective they'll have to be so large that they'll be highly visible.

And I'll probably buy that jig tool too, looks cool.

I've drilled approximately eleventy thousand pocket holes with that Kreg tool on my damn cabinet.