Home Improvement

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
for some reason i am not seeing the picture a_skeleton_03.

a trench drain is not all that expensive.(couple of hundred) - a steep drive way- where the water goes DOWN towards the house should have an area drain, mini(30") cb or trench drain..always (unless driveway is gravel)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
for some reason i am not seeing the picture a_skeleton_03.

a trench drain is not all that expensive.(couple of hundred) - a steep drive way- where the water goes DOWN towards the house should have an area drain, mini(30") cb or trench drain..always (unless driveway is gravel)
wtf just happened...

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Wow, that's a huge dip. How'd they manage that?
It is a steep driveway and they did a dip on purpose instead of straight down so that all that didn't just flow into the garage. I just really think a grate also to some drainage would be the best option.

Hoping the pile of dirt is gone before another storm so I can see how it does without that. This does seem fairly worst case scenario because it was a major freak storm.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Also you'll have gutters.
This is mostly downflow from the driveway I think and very little runoff from the roof really considering there isn't even a puddle anywhere else. The gutters will help of course but I still think the driveway was poorly engineered for the lot.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It is a steep driveway and they did a dip on purpose instead of straight down so that all that didn't just flow into the garage. I just really think a grate also to some drainage would be the best option.

Hoping the pile of dirt is gone before another storm so I can see how it does without that. This does seem fairly worst case scenario because it was a major freak storm.
Gotcha. Yes, I think a grate or storm drain type deal with gravel below would greatly help. If you got some serious rain for a couple days, it looks like it could back up into your garage.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yeah, I'd put a grate in that puppy. Problem solved.

Excitement here today - I left the house at about 5 am as is my custom. I get a panicked phone call from my wife at 8 - the faucet in the kitchen failed and water poured into the basement storage area. On top of all our camping gear. Which we are supposed to use tomorrow.

Fuck me.

So we've mostly got things cleaned up, what a pain but it helps having 5 children helps. Also, my neighbour has 2 of those under-carpet major fan things, that's helping enormously.

Anyone ever try to contact a faucet company and get reimbursed? Faucets are expensive, and this pisses me off. It's a Delta, and it's about 8 years old.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Delta is good about parts but not sure about flood reimbursement. Your homeowners should cover it.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I sent this directly to Eomer in PM's, but I guess I can ask you guys as well.

Our hot water heater bit the dust a few days ago. We're taking care of it on behalf of our landlord who lives overseas and looking for some advice.

It's currently a small system (2 sinks, washing machine hookup, tub) running off a 38 gallon tank in an unheated crawl space. We were looking at tankless heaters, but we sometimes have mildly frozen pipes in the winter, and were wondering if its a risk of freezing and being damaged versus an always on water heater.

Picasso3

I would say definitely yes. The heat conducting through the pipe/water in the pipes from the water heater itself would probably be the thing keeping you from freezing up.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, that's kind of what were figuring. Our oil furnace is also down there and we may actually get a fill up this year to use on obscenely cold nights, which could help prevent that. The past two years we've used 100% pellet stove, hence no heat being provided to the crawl space.

Picasso3

They have heat tape you can put on the pipes..but it's electric resistance so you'd be negating savings. I wouldn't count on anything that isn't automatic or guaranteed for not freezing pipes.

Picasso3

Made some progress on drop ceiling. Raged hard like 3 times, one time resulted in a screwdriver thrown and stuck in the floor like a boss. Fuck drop ceilings.

JNEqMRb.jpg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My effing air conditioner crapped out. Thought it was just the capacitor, so that's about a 20$ fix, but it wasn't. Compressor is bad, too. To fix it is same as a new unit. What a fun way to spend money.

frown.png

Vinen

God is dead
My effing air conditioner crapped out. Thought it was just the capacitor, so that's about a 20$ fix, but it wasn't. Compressor is bad, too. To fix it is same as a new unit. What a fun way to spend money.

frown.png
At least you didn't go through what I did. Had the TXV Valve break. We more or less replaced half the system debugging it. It was pretty awesome. New Compressor, etc. It's more or less the 1% cause of reason for a break.

Ice Breaker: Diagnosing a Defective TXV

Although a defective TXV can result in either a higher or lower refrigerant superheat value, it is definitely not the only possible cause. Before condemning a TXV, all other possible causes should be investigated and ruled out before looking at the TXV.

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Next year the lady and I will be making some additions to the house. We plan on adding an ensuite to our bedroom, extending and upgrading our kitchen and redoing the siding on the house. All in all our budget is about 45k which will give us a little playroom for some toys afterwards! I will update when the time comes but in the meantime post away!