Home Improvement

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
After 2 years of living in Spokane and losing power more times in those 2 years than the previous 38 of my life, I have finally decided to buy a Generator. Costco looks like they have the best deals, like this
Honeywell 20KW Automatic Standby Generator with 200a Transfer Switch.

I am assuming a 20KW will allow me to run all the important items plus have some lights on, phones charging etc.

Any thoughts or advice?

If you look at the tags/labels on most electrical stuff it will say how many watts they draw while running and another number that is larger for the watts drawn during starting. Leave a safety margin after you add it all up. Your electrical system from the generator, transfer switch, your breaker box, to the actual appliance won't be 100% efficient. Anything that heats or cools will draw a significant amount, even a computer which is basically a 500wat mini size room heater running.

I've always used a natural gas generator and I've never had it go down/out. Even during Katrina and other extended power outages it's always been there.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
You gonna pay an electrician to set up your breaker box to accept the generactor, or are gonna run a bunch a cords to the appliances? Setting up the box to plug in a genny is expensive.

I have had bad experiences with off brand generators, I only buy Hondas now. Also cheap generators can really fucking loud. Hear one run at peak before buying it.
Yeah I got a reputable guy that will hook up the transfer switch for me, fuck having cords running everywhere. Regarding the noise I am not sure how I can get a demo since I will most likely purchase though Costco Online. Guess I will just have to read some reports online about Generator Noise Ratings, if such a thing exists.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I got a reputable guy that will hook up the transfer switch for me, fuck having cords running everywhere. Regarding the noise I am not sure how I can get a demo since I will most likely purchase though Costco Online. Guess I will just have to read some reports online about Generator Noise Ratings, if such a thing exists.

That's why I go Honda, they are quiet, you can go test one out, even rent one for a day. And most importantly you can get them serviced. Good luck finding anyone to find parts and fix a made in China genny.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I figured buying through Costco was a safe bet because their customer service is second to none (at least in my experience). I will look around for a Honda at some of the local stores.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I figured buying through Costco was a safe bet because their customer service is second to none (at least in my experience). I will look around for a Honda at some of the local stores.

Be prepared for sticker shock. But a Honda taken care of will last you 10 yrs.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone got experience, or seen up close, the wood-appearance tile? Looking at individual pieces of tile I really like it, but I'm worried that actually putting it down that it'd look cheap.

I live in the desert, so tile would be nice because it keeps cool, and I can use it throughout (like in the kitchen) and not worry about normal wood issues.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Anyone got experience, or seen up close, the wood-appearance tile? Looking at individual pieces of tile I really like it, but I'm worried that actually putting it down that it'd look cheap.

I live in the desert, so tile would be nice because it keeps cool, and I can use it throughout (like in the kitchen) and not worry about normal wood issues.

As an appraiser I have come across the Wood Appearance tile many times. I will say I typically see it in updated Baths & Kitchens with a very Modern Decor. Like anything if the overall decor of your home goes with look of wood then you are fine.

EDIT: BTW have you always been Gravel? I associate that Avatar with Elurin.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>

I asked a commercial electrician I know about that Honeywell, he said the huge industrial level stuff they use to back up hospitals is good quality and says that small house one is probably just fine and probably has a 10 yr warranty. He said to call around to make sure they have local certified service people so your warranty stays intact.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I asked a commercial electrician I know about that Honeywell, he said the huge industrial level stuff they use to back up hospitals is good quality and says that small house one is probably just fine and probably has a 10 yr warranty. He said to call around to make sure they have local certified service people so your warranty stays intact.

Hey thanks man, I appreciate you taking the time to get me good info.

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole

I just bought a house with the foyer/dining done with them, and it looks/feels great and is easy to clean. Everyone that's been to my place has loved it.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yeah if i had to do it over again i would have just framed up it up with 2x4s, drywalled, and cut it out whever i need access.

They make slip fit low profile spring clip access panels. I put them over junction boxes and water shutoffs / clean outs. Some are even paint ready.

Also smaller dimensional metal stud framing can give you back some of the height you would lose from wood 2x4s. Metal framing is fast and easy. Light gauge you can do with snips, no saw needed.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just bought a house with the foyer/dining done with them, and it looks/feels great and is easy to clean. Everyone that's been to my place has loved it.
Good to hear. I guess my main worry was that it ends up being one of those things that in 10 years looks dated.

But because it looks like wood, I'm not sure if that'll be the case.

They'd be more expensive than wood, but I feel like they're a perfect material to use for where I live.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Bathroom is finally done. Took our contractor almost 4 full weeks(2 days shy of it). My god he was slow. That's what I get for hiring a 60 year old dude I guess. At least he did good work when he was actually working...

I should have taken some "before" pictures. Bathroom was straight out of the 70s. Avacado green tiles in the shower, a yellow/gold tile on the floor and same on the vanity counter top. It was hideous.

• 1Like