Home Improvement

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So my next challenge. Both my bathrooms have tiled tub/shower surrounds. They are in good shape, however the gap in the corners between the walls of the surround was filled with grout and since the line was very thin, they all have hairline cracks. Now, aesthetically it's not even noticeable but I want to seal it somehow against long term water damage and generally just moisture seeping through.

So far I've got it down to:
1) cut out grout, replace it
2) cover grout with thin line of clear silicon
3) cover corner with bead of matching sanded caulking

Am I missing anything for options?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I read the corners should be caulk because they need flexibility. I'll be doing a solid bead over the corners when I get done tiling regardless of what the grout seam looks like.

Picasso3

On a grout note I bought the high dollar premix polymer shit at 50 a gallon and it seems way more difficult to work with than regular. On the bright side you don't have to seal it.

Only got 1 wall grouted today.

20170827_163858.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I read the corners should be caulk because they need flexibility. I'll be doing a solid bead over the corners when I get done tiling regardless of what the grout seam looks like.

Yea that's what I figured. I'll probably just do that, I bought some close matching Mapei sanded caulk for it already but had second thoughts.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Shit... Da fuq, I'm putting Bondo on my window sill, and this behemouth, wiggles on down.
PHOTO_20170831_173238.jpg

Since I was putting up rotted wood, I had my heat gun with me and nuked the fucker.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I've decided I'm going to build some stuff. My front door is at a corner and there's an overhang to provide a covered entrance with one pillar, but it's pretty small, maybe 5x4 usable space. I'm tired of direct sunlight on it because the door is on the south side and the entire thing bakes during the day for hours and hours. On the side out into the yard, I think I'm going to build a planter with a trellis to put in some sort of vine cover plant there. I'm going to make something aesthetically similar to that but an arbor to cover the walkway and extend out the shade a bit.

Anyone have any suggestions on plans or other stuff they've seen built? Most of the prebuilt ones seem overpriced or ugly little undersized things.

Picasso3

So I've decided I'm going to build some stuff. My front door is at a corner and there's an overhang to provide a covered entrance with one pillar, but it's pretty small, maybe 5x4 usable space. I'm tired of direct sunlight on it because the door is on the south side and the entire thing bakes during the day for hours and hours. On the side out into the yard, I think I'm going to build a planter with a trellis to put in some sort of vine cover plant there. I'm going to make something aesthetically similar to that but an arbor to cover the walkway and extend out the shade a bit.

Anyone have any suggestions on plans or other stuff they've seen built? Most of the prebuilt ones seem overpriced or ugly little undersized things.

150432081411196306487.jpg

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Instructions for this inside if you want pics, personally i thought it was pussy shit for fags

View attachment 152737

Yea I'm not sure I want to go with the arbor yet. I took a look and measured stuff outside and it doesn't really make a lot of sense because the sun is really only coming from one direction.

What I'm thinking of for the entry side though is something like this, trellis connected to a planter, just likely with a climbing plant.

81VrtTnhDbL._SL1500_.jpg

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Any recommendations for a surveillance system? We don't have outlets outside so will need to run power cords in the attic to hit a general power bar or something. Want to get the corner of the house on video as well as front door. Audio would be great too but that likely lends to a lot more hard drive space.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Instructions for this inside if you want pics, personally i thought it was pussy shit for fags

View attachment 152737
I would like the step by step basics for rot repair :) I have a bad window sill... dudes that did my siding a couple of years ago were supposed to fix, they did not; they just fucking pretended to with aluminum cladding - and bad at that. Fuck. (it was on a window I don't access very often so only recently discovered while washing windows...). They are the same ones who put on the crappy gutters. They hornswaggled G and I am not happy about it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Any recommendations for a surveillance system? We don't have outlets outside so will need to run power cords in the attic to hit a general power bar or something. Want to get the corner of the house on video as well as front door. Audio would be great too but that likely lends to a lot more hard drive space.
Dont need to run power, just use power over ethernet cameras.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I would like the step by step basics for rot repair :) I have a bad window sill... dudes that did my siding a couple of years ago were supposed to fix, they did not; they just fucking pretended to with aluminum cladding - and bad at that. Fuck. (it was on a window I don't access very often so only recently discovered while washing windows...). They are the same ones who put on the crappy gutters. They hornswaggled G and I am not happy about it.

I had one rotted sill, my inspector said a putty job will do.
PHOTO_20170903_125250.jpg

I started out by scrapping out any wet rotted wood that didn't feel firm, then I took my heat gun and just blasted the area, and then did some Bondo, it was like 12 bucks for two pints, I realized that shit hardens really fast and started to do smaller batches, yo build it up. Gonna do one more then and then finish sanding, and I guess I'll caulk around. No idea if this is a good job, looks better than the rit and this is what googling says is the way to go.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Bondo works great as long as you sand it and the surrounding wood is also smooth. Once it's painted you'll never be able to identify which area has Bondo vs. actual wood.

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Question from an idiot and complete bumbler on home repair/improvement. The faucet at the bottom of my water heater started leaking so I bought an end cap. Screwed it on as tight as I could with a wrench but it is still leaking (the end cap does have a washer). Was this the wrong solution? Don't want to have to pay a plumber to come and replace the whole faucet.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Question from an idiot and complete bumbler on home repair/improvement. The faucet at the bottom of my water heater started leaking so I bought an end cap. Screwed it on as tight as I could with a wrench but it is still leaking (the end cap does have a washer). Was this the wrong solution? Don't want to have to pay a plumber to come and replace the whole faucet.
guy says put a bucket underneath for a day, it seals itself up, if not, he shows you how to replace.

• 1Like