Home Improvement

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
How old is it? I'd just replace the unit if it's more than like 3-4 years. All the gasket seals, trim seal tab things, condition of the racks, hard water buildup if that's a problem etc. Those boards are insanely expensive in my experience.
Good call. It's about that age I think. A replacement board was outrageous. I just went with a Whirlpool for a decent price at Lowe's.

Plus the people that lived here before us decided it was a good idea to get a white dishwasher when every other appliance is stainless. Can finally rectify that nonsense.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
the people that lived here before us decided it was a good idea to get a white dishwasher when every other appliance is stainless. Can finally rectify that nonsense.
Lol, that shoulda been the first reason to get a new dishwasher. From archived photos, I can tell my fridges and dishwasher are at least two owners old. The dishwasher sucks, I still hand wash most items, like knives cutting boards, pans (especially cast iron) is a must, so like it than that, the dishes take a few minutes.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Dishwashers are one of those appliances that seems to actually improve every few years still. While refrigerators are adding like wifi hotspots for your milk and free hbo subscriptions for the tv on the door, every time I upgrade dishwashers I'm actually impressed given I stick near budget models. My parents bought this $2K Bosch built in thing that was supposed to be magic like 6 years ago, my came with the house new Frigidaire builders grade from only two years ago cleans much better.

Siliconemelons

That Bosch is still working though right? Bosch dishwasters are one of the only "premium" appliances that I would actually say are "worth" the money.

But as you stated, dishwashers are like cars - 2010 Mercedes has all the whoopla - and then in 2017 a civic has all the same whoopla available as well... its those 7 years in between and other factors.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea it's nearing the end though anyway. But it was a trooper.

It's those dumb plastic buttons like the membrane keyboards, they just crack eventually.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Question, why are dishwasher built in and stuck? Is it cuz of the copper tubing? Then why don't they use flex hoses like washers? (Or recently, pex)

Siliconemelons

Mine is not screwed into the cabinets , but it should be lol. It moves a lot when you open/close it because of the force and seal it needs- so that's convenience and function - and yes as not to bust its water line (hot) - its a smaller di tube than your washer so i guess they just do not make that small of braided hose for hot water - and also I suppose flex copper has been the standard so that is what it is staying for compatibility etc.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Dishwasher and microwave were the only two appliances that are not new in my new place and the dishwasher is gonna need to be replaced sooner rather than later. The existing model was probably budget low-end installed by the builders a decade ago and it just isn't terribly sturdy or good at the whole 'cleaning of dishes' thang. Thankfully dishwashers are pretty affordable all things considered.

A potential nightmare in the making is my fridge, the control panel of which does not seem to work reliably. Based on a quick search it seems quite a few people are having this same problem from new units in the August 2017 timeframe so I am guessing they got a bad batch of touch panels or circuitboards.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dishwasher and microwave were the only two appliances that are not new in my new place and the dishwasher is gonna need to be replaced sooner rather than later. The existing model was probably budget low-end installed by the builders a decade ago and it just isn't terribly sturdy or good at the whole 'cleaning of dishes' thang. Thankfully dishwashers are pretty affordable all things considered.

A potential nightmare in the making is my fridge, the control panel of which does not seem to work reliably. Based on a quick search it seems quite a few people are having this same problem from new units in the August 2017 timeframe so I am guessing they got a bad batch of touch panels or circuitboards.
Yea fuck circuit boards in a fridge, turn the dial, cold or colder!

Yea microwaves aside, dishwashers seem to be the next in line as cheap

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Question: my backyard got decimated by a construction project. I'll have to put in like 1500 sq ft of sod. There are innumerable little flakes of concrete and little dime sized balls of concrete all in the yard. I've scraped up a lot of them and cleaned as much as I can stand. How bad would it be to lay my sod, and if there happens to be a few little tiny pieces of concrete underneath? I can't imagine it would make any difference.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Question: my backyard got decimated by a construction project. I'll have to put in like 1500 sq ft of sod. There are innumerable little flakes of concrete and little dime sized balls of concrete all in the yard. I've scraped up a lot of them and cleaned as much as I can stand. How bad would it be to lay my sod, and if there happens to be a few little tiny pieces of concrete underneath? I can't imagine it would make any difference.
Maybe a picture for the expericed ppl, also dang, what's that gonna cost?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Maybe a picture for the expericed ppl, also dang, what's that gonna cost?
It's not too bad. It's like $200 per pallet (~450 sq ft or so). I bought 2 pallets to get started, and its $512 delivered to my backyard. I have to place it myself. A little sweat equity. Will get a pic tomm.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
Question, why are dishwasher built in and stuck? Is it cuz of the copper tubing? Then why don't they use flex hoses like washers? (Or recently, pex)
You can use a flex hose. It makes life a lot easier. You still want to anchor the diswasher to something or else it's harder to open and shut the door.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It would probably make zero difference at all. Concrete is essential rocks, which litter everyone's soil beneath the surface of your grass anyways.

nazon

Molten Core Raider
My backyard needs to be redone.
Rip out deck that is falling apart
Rip out old fence that is falling apart (wood and chain link)
Rip out old dying Ficus hedge and palm trees that are leaning on fence.
Put in new fence or wall around the property

I am wondering if I should hire one company that does entire backyards or individual contractors. Maybe try to do some of the clearing out myself with chainsaw.

For the fence I'm considering vinyl but cement wall would also be cool. Anyone have experience with either? Thanks!

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
My backyard needs to be redone.
Rip out deck that is falling apart
Rip out old fence that is falling apart (wood and chain link)
Rip out old dying Ficus hedge and palm trees that are leaning on fence.
Put in new fence or wall around the property

I am wondering if I should hire one company that does entire backyards or individual contractors. Maybe try to do some of the clearing out myself with chainsaw.

For the fence I'm considering vinyl but cement wall would also be cool. Anyone have experience with either? Thanks!

Do as much demo as you can. And deal with as few contractors as possible. It's such a nightmare getting these motherfuckers to show up. I'm on their ass, and they still barely show up. They must all be multi-millionaires, and not need any money. :)

I'm having a brick fence built that will butt up against an iron fence (HOA restrictions). I went out to meet my brick guy this morning, and I asked him to preserve all of the iron posts because I need it for the other side of the yard (another contractor just fucking cut the post in half.) Then we laughed about how stupid the other contractor was, and how wasteful he was to ruin a good post. So I go back out an hour later, and the fucker had cut all my posts down. It's unbelievable.

I'm in the middle of a pool build. They look you in the eye, shake your hand, and say 4-6 weeks max. That was 6 months ago. It's been 2-3 weeks between every single part of the pool. I've raised hell at the company and have demanding it gets plastered and filled this week. It's just insane.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
They must all be multi-millionaires, and not need any money. :)

Adam Carolla always says that most carpenters/contractors are not in the business because they love the work, they are in the business because they are unable to hold down any job that requires them to actually show up on time or pass a drug test.

A lot of them are horrible at business too so they bid jobs too low, or make an expensive mistake and then have to start another job to get cash to buy the shit to finish the one that they've already been paid for. Or they can't say no to a job because they don't know where the next one is coming from so they get 6 projects going at once. The combination of this and all the work days they lose to drunkenness or laziness leads to things that were supposed to take 6 weeks taking 6 months. A lot of guys hate finish work too because it's hard. They would rather spend the day doing demo on a new job than meticulously sanding trim on the job that's almost finished.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Adam Carolla always says that most carpenters/contractors are not in the business because they love the work, they are in the business because they are unable to hold down any job that requires them to actually show up on time or pass a drug test.

A lot of them are horrible at business too so they bid jobs too low, or make an expensive mistake and then have to start another job to get cash to buy the shit to finish the one that they've already been paid for. Or they can't say no to a job because they don't know where the next one is coming from so they get 6 projects going at once. The combination of this and all the work days they lose to drunkenness or laziness leads to things that were supposed to take 6 weeks taking 6 months. A lot of guys hate finish work too because it's hard. They would rather spend the day doing demo on a new job than meticulously sanding trim on the job that's almost finished.

Very interesting, and makes sense. Thank you!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've begun regrading my back yard slope
PHOTO_20171002_141841.jpg

I was deciding between mulch or gravel, and termites scare me and I'm afraid I'll whip a rock in my face with gravel, I just decided on dirt. Instead of using landscape fabric, I wanted to go natural ish, so I found out landscapers use cardboard instead, so I lined up two layers of overlapping 8in strips

Then I started filling in all the pot goes in the back yard, I'll properly regrade the while area later, at least it slopes a bit better without little puddles.