Home Improvement

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah. The only truth to that claim I believe is that it really is fiber to the node at the end of your block. Then it's phone line to your house like you said.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Made some progress outside since it was a beautiful day today. Recessed soffit lights make any shitpile look good at night.

I didn't do all this today obviously. Got the lights and fascia in.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
You should have left it in the torn out state. Then installed a large-scale model railroad behind the front window and mounted a life-size cutout of Goddess Bunny on the train. Set the train to circle slowly while you were at work and see if your neighbors call the police.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You should have left it in the torn out state. Then installed a large-scale model railroad behind the front window and mounted a life-size cutout of Goddess Bunny on the train. Set the train to circle slowly while you were at work and see if your neighbors call the police.
Wat?

Vinen

God is dead
Anyone got tricks for cleaning up light scratches on hardwood floors? Some asshole (me) dragged a piece of light furniture without thinking and left a 2 food long scratch. Best part is... I was about to put felt on the bottom.

No big deal if it can't be solved as it will be covered by a rug... just fuuuuuuuuuuuuu hardwood floors.

Will post a picture later.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sorry, I have the habit of writing posts from my point of view and making assumptions others couldn't know. The "if then" in that first quote is just a way I talk. It wasn't meant as "if we eventually add baseboard heating, this isn't a problem, right?". Anyway, to simplify:

Currently have baseboard heating.
No AC, not even window units.
Grate in the floor gives access to joist space.
Room with grate in ceiling has a fireplace that's not in use. Not even sure when it was used last.

Don't worry about splitting hairs with me, I won't take offense to that. I'm engineer, I do that for a living. If me running cat5e through the aforementioned context has even the slightest problem, I want to know. That's whole point of my post. You know things I don't, so I'm probably (still)forgetting to mention important details. I'm sorry that takes a few back and forths.

Anyway, I think I got the situation in hand. Thanks for the input.
That grate is likely a transfer grille. Its in a room where the fireplace is, and goes to the second floor. I'm guessing the bedrooms are all up there? It was likely meant to bring heat to the second floor at night from the fireplace. Return air grilles are typically located on thesecondfloor leading into an attic, where a unit would be for central air. But it would look more like a transfer grille to me.

They probably switched over to baseboard heating at some point, and decided to cover up that transfer because it would cause the downstairs heat to flow upstairs.

As far as running wire through that? You can always take the grates off since they likely are larger than any duct work itself. You might see the plenum and then some space on the side between it and the floor/ceiling beside it. You could run the wire along the outside of the "box". Maybe drill a hole outside the area of the grate, slide it through and along the side of the plenum, and back through same way the other end.

I'd ask the electricians here about that though, I'm just a tin-knocker.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Anyone got tricks for cleaning up light scratches on hardwood floors? Some asshole (me) dragged a piece of light furniture without thinking and left a 2 food long scratch. Best part is... I was about to put felt on the bottom.

No big deal if it can't be solved as it will be covered by a rug... just fuuuuuuuuuuuuu hardwood floors.

Will post a picture later.
I can't help ya there bro, but in the future for all of you guys out there, cardboard is one of the best ways to move stuff without scratching floors or denting walls.

Put it on some cardboard and slide it.

Vinen

God is dead
I can't help ya there bro, but in the future for all of you guys out there, cardboard is one of the best ways to move stuff without scratching floors or denting walls.

Put it on some cardboard and slide it.
True enough, the rug my wife ordered ended up covering up the scrape. Cares are gone.

dolaan_sl

shitlord
I have not tried this but I heard somewhere that rubbing walnuts on the scratches will blend the scratches out. I have no idea why this would be the case but it is a cheap thing to try.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I got a question for you guys. My wife and I just moved into a house we built a week ago. They told us to change the filter on the furnace weekly for the first 3 months. So I changed it when we moved in last Saturday, then I changed the filter yesterday. Same type of filter, I bought the cheap 4 packs. Anyway, soon as the fan kicks on, the return duct leading into the blower starts shaking and it sounds like a freight train in the rest of the house. Any suggestions as to what is causing that?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just call your builder. No way you should have to deal with that shit. Probably be easy enough fix.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Just call your builder. No way you should have to deal with that shit. Probably be easy enough fix.
I have called the company that does the warranty work for the builder, its just 10 days to get someone out since it isn't considered an emergency.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Check to see how loose the duct work is. If you push it, and there is any play, it could just be the fan movement shaking the duct against other ducts, and that'll be heard throughout the house. If it's loose, get some self tapping sheet metal screws, and anchor that sucker securely. See if that makes a difference.

It could also be that your blower was installed not quite level, and it's causing some connecting duct work to shimmy.

In any case, sounds to me like they better get their asses over there and fix it.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
I have called the company that does the warranty work for the builder, its just 10 days to get someone out since it isn't considered an emergency.
10 days isn't uncommon.

Kaige could probably tell you what is wrong; my guess is they rushed the install and screws are missing (but it could be anything).

Arative

Vyemm Raider
The noise is coming from the return duct leading to the filter/fan. It seems to be vibrating quite a bit, so I'm guessing it loose somewhere. The installer called and can come tomorrow morning, so at least I don't have to wait the 10 days for it to be fixed.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Odd that its coming from the return duct. I wouldn't be surprised if its like lurkingdirk said, and something isn't level. Likely they settled it on some sort of pads or feet to isolate the furnace itself, and the vibration is being transferred to the duct work. If any of that is loose, then you'll get some rattling.