Home Improvement

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Just got a 8ch security cameras system on lightning deal, gonna be a busy install
b5e.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vinen

God is dead
Anyone have recommendations for "Smart" Locks? Wife and I want to get 3 installed in our house (Front, Back, Basement).

Additionally, what are good brands for forced hot water boilers? Has efficiency increased a lot in the last 20 years? We have a single boiler which services our entire houses forced hot-water heating (Radiant floors in basement, first Floor Bathroom + kitchen, old-style radiators in all other rooms) that we are looking to get replaced it there are more efficient boilers out there.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone have recommendations for "Smart" Locks? Wife and I want to get 3 installed in our house (Front, Back, Basement).

Additionally, what are good brands for forced hot water boilers? Has efficiency increased a lot in the last 20 years? We have a single boiler which services our entire houses forced hot-water heating (Radiant floors in basement, first Floor Bathroom + kitchen, old-style radiators in all other rooms) that we are looking to get replaced it there are more efficient boilers out there.
Just get schlage, don't ever get keickset or Yale, they're bottom tier.

Tell me if you need, auto lock, wifi, home automation, etc???

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Remote Lock and Unlock is the most important I think.

Was leaning towards
https://www.amazon.com/August-Smart...scsubtag=53d149d0-c733-4e2a-9a1b-13264a930c3e
There's one pro in the August lock, you can use your own deadbolt... Good for high security.

The con is I have two friends that constantly complain about theirs

Dies fast cuz it keeps on trying to lock
Bt is laggy, unpairs, a few times

But again I haven't had experience with the August, and I've still to install my own schlage connect.

Vinen

God is dead
There's one pro in the August lock, you can use your own deadbolt... Good for high security.

The con is I have two friends that constantly complain about theirs

Dies fast cuz it keeps on trying to lock
Bt is laggy, unpairs, a few times

But again I haven't had experience with the August, and I've still to install my own schlage connect.

Yeah. Smart Technologies just seem sketchy right now. Wife and I may just have to deal with not losing our keys. For the last four years we've just used our garage which has PIN entry to get into the house.

I also don't want to really have to fuck with the door to the "new" house. It's ~130 years old and still in very good condition.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah. Smart Technologies just seem sketchy right now. Wife and I may just have to deal with not losing our keys. For the last four years we've just used our garage which has PIN entry to get into the house.

I also don't want to really have to fuck with the door to the "new" house. It's ~130 years old and still in very good condition.
I was checking that out, it's only like 35bucks.

But honestly, you know you should at least deadbolt every door right? Even garage access door

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>

I went with WiFi garage instead of the door locks because the door locks are visible but the garage door is not.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Any of you worried about krack attack in these smart locks that are wifi enabled? Or has that been patched already since it's security related?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Any of you worried about krack attack in these smart locks that are wifi enabled? Or has that been patched already since it's security related?

Just update router firmware

I am not sure it’s router side only but I haven’t done a ton of research on it.

Even if it is patched I would put them on their own VLAN with all of the other IoT stuff if you have a router that can do that.

The biggest thing about a smart lock is that you can see it a mile away so if there is a known exploit they can drive by and glance at your door and try it from the street.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I am not sure it’s router side only but I haven’t done a ton of research on it.

Even if it is patched I would put them on their own VLAN with all of the other IoT stuff if you have a router that can do that.

The biggest thing about a smart lock is that you can see it a mile away so if there is a known exploit they can drive by and glance at your door and try it from the street.
I mean if you're really worried about smartlocks hacking, make sure it's not Bluetooth, they show the most vulnerability.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I mean if you're really worried about smartlocks hacking, make sure it's not Bluetooth, they show the most vulnerability.
I am not really worried about it. I don’t like how you can see they are smart because of their bulkiness and lights. The WiFi garage door opener is what I use to get into the house if I lost my keys or need to let someone in.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I am not really worried about it. I don’t like how you can see they are smart because of their bulkiness and lights. The WiFi garage door opener is what I use to get into the house if I lost my keys or need to let someone in.
Yea, that means you don't deadbolt the inner door from garage to house?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Converting one of my bedrooms into the, "man cave" if you will as my first home improvement project. Primarily its going to be taking out the carpet because I fucking hate carpet.

Should be fun!

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users