Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Nice to walk on in bare feet though. Good if you want to lay on the floor too.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I prefer hard floors and area rugs for rooms where I want carpet. In the south east the weather is hot and sticky 8-9 months out of the year. That kind of weather requires a lot of maintenance for carpets. If I get lazy with the maintenance my house gets musty and everyone starts having bad allergies.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Carpets upstairs, hardwood floors downstairs. I don't like carrying a glass of grape juice or coffee around like I'm holding a nuclear weapon.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Gorilla Ladders Aluminum PRO Slim-Fold Work Platform (300-lb Capacity) $29 + Free Store Pickup
These are handy as fuck if ever find yourself doing crown/high trim work. They make longer/wider ones but I find the 4 foot wide is plenty and that 20 inches is plenty tall to paint and trim if you use a nail strip like I do with crown these days due to trusses and often lack of deadwood behind the drywall.

As far as carpet. As someone who spent a lifetime tearing out carpet in fire/water/remodel situations. No, just no. The NEW high end carpets and pads are MUCH better than anything in the past for releasing dust and dirt and not staining but still just NO NO NO. Gods the bugs and mold and Bill Nye sex stains I've seen.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i finally have time to drill holes in the hardwood and pop in the screws squeaks are down 95%

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
is there any point to putting attic insulation on my garage? i have a thick layer of fluffy insulation for the home, and there is none for the garage portion, even though it's all linked. My garage walls aren't insulated either, it's finished, in that drywall is up there tho. I'm asking cuz lately the garage has been fucking freezing, i went in and redid the garage door seals, foamed up little tiny cracks that i saw, fixed up the entry door and the last sneaky hole i found was from the sprinkler control box wires to the outside. Now the garage is a tiny bit colder than my basement, at like 50f, but thats a huge improvement over 20f.

Vinen

God is dead
is there any point to putting attic insulation on my garage? i have a thick layer of fluffy insulation for the home, and there is none for the garage portion, even though it's all linked. My garage walls aren't insulated either, it's finished, in that drywall is up there tho. I'm asking cuz lately the garage has being fucking freezing, i went in and redid the garage door seals, foamed up little tiny cracks that i saw, fixed up the entry door and the last sneaky hole i found was from the sprinkler control box wires to the outside. Now the garage is a tiny bit colder than my basement, at like 50f, but thats a huge improvement over 20f.

You'd need to insulate the entire garage to really get a benefit.

I have to fast track fixing the shit-hole Garage that came with my house (detached). Everything north of the cinderblocks needs to be replaced.
Have 2 GC coming by next week. Roof needs to be reframed. It's flat right now which makes no sense in the Boston area so I will get it done as an A-frame.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
You'd need to insulate the entire garage to really get a benefit.

I have to fast track fixing the shit-hole Garage that came with my house (detached). Everything north of the cinderblocks needs to be replaced.
Have 2 GC coming by next week. Roof needs to be reframed. It's flat right now which makes no sense in the Boston area so I will get it done as an A-frame.
how is it flat and still standing, w/ mountains of snow every winter?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Logging in a few hours at my store, to the point that half the employees recognize me (pretty easy why), hot tail does not shop here. If there is a woman, usually she is not hot tail, and is following the man around cuz she holds the credit cards.

I've seen more hot tail at the dollar store, in the arts n crafts aisle.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Gorilla Ladders Aluminum PRO Slim-Fold Work Platform (300-lb Capacity) $29 + Free Store Pickup
These are handy as fuck if ever find yourself doing crown/high trim work. They make longer/wider ones but I find the 4 foot wide is plenty and that 20 inches is plenty tall to paint and trim if you use a nail strip like I do with crown these days due to trusses and often lack of deadwood behind the drywall.

As far as carpet. As someone who spent a lifetime tearing out carpet in fire/water/remodel situations. No, just no. The NEW high end carpets and pads are MUCH better than anything in the past for releasing dust and dirt and not staining but still just NO NO NO. Gods the bugs and mold and Bill Nye sex stains I've seen.

Just went up to buy this, couldn't find it - they gave me the $99 Gorilla platform ladder for $28! What a deal, good looking out.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I have decided on floating vinyl for the floor so the room will cost approximately $400 to floor with general prices from Home Depot.

I am no interior designer so question for y'all. Below is the current color/type of vinyl floor that the house came with. While I like the light color I want to put something different in the room I am modifying. I will eventually have all of the rooms carpet torn out but since this room is already empty this is the testing ground.

I want to use a darker color (or at least a different one) in the other room. Idea being that the main floor will stay this color. The rooms will be whatever other color style I end up going with. Currently leaning towards a much darker one as I like the contrast in colors. But is there any rule for this? Effecting resale/etc? My house has been effectively empty since I bought it since I don't care about this shit and I am super cheap. The wife is going to make it homey so whatever she ends up going with should be lol. Garage and the man cave are off limits to her though. Mine.

Spoilered for size

sFYuAMh.jpg

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Dark colors make the room seem smaller.

We just put down 250 sq ft of click together vinyl in a flip (shaw baja), i think i prefer it over glue together but not sure on longevity. It looks pretty good but does have a plastic look.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dark colors make the room seem smaller.

We just put down 250 sq ft of click together vinyl in a flip (shaw baja), i think i prefer it over glue together but not sure on longevity. It looks pretty good but does have a plastic look.

Okay. I was also looking at a cool light gray color.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I agree with grey wood, it works great. Just be careful most of them kinda lock you in to cool colors after depending on your other plans.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
is there any point to putting attic insulation on my garage? i have a thick layer of fluffy insulation for the home, and there is none for the garage portion, even though it's all linked. My garage walls aren't insulated either, it's finished, in that drywall is up there tho. I'm asking cuz lately the garage has been fucking freezing, i went in and redid the garage door seals, foamed up little tiny cracks that i saw, fixed up the entry door and the last sneaky hole i found was from the sprinkler control box wires to the outside. Now the garage is a tiny bit colder than my basement, at like 50f, but thats a huge improvement over 20f.

I'm assuming this is an attached garage? Is it actually heated? Or just getting some ambient heat from the house? If it's not actually heated, you're probably not going to get a lot of bang for your buck with insulation because there's just not that much heat to hold in in the first place.

Attic insulation is the shit though. My brother was living in his unfinished house last fall and hadn't put in a furnace aside from a wood stove in the basement and hadn't insulated the attic yet when we had a cold snap. This is an insulated concrete form house so it's super well insulated aside from the roof. He was starting a fire before he went to bed and then getting up at 2AM to start another one and it would still be down to 45 degrees by morning. The day we put the attic insulation in (20 inches of blown in), he set a fire in the evening, didn't bother getting up at 2, and it was 70 degrees in the house by morning even though it was still sub-zero outside. It's crazy how much difference that insulation made.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I’m way too excited about this new cordless drill and impact driver set I picked up today.

I’ve got a couple other tools I “need” but don’t necessarily need them to be new - clamps, drill press, router table, and a bench vise to name a few. Is it worth perusing craigslist or Facebook for used tools or is it usually a shit show?