Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If you put the breakers side by side you will have one from each leg. That's what the black and blue signifies in your diagram and as you can see they alternate as you go down the line. Yeah, you would have to turn the power off outside if you want to mess with those main lugs, but there should be no reason to do that in this case. Flipping the main breaker will turn off everything else in the box. If you hook it up just like that picture it should work perfectly. I wouldn't worry too much about the size of your service if you're just adding 14A. That's like plugging in a waffle iron. If that fries your shit you had a lot of problems already.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Wanted to share this vid with my Home Improvement forum bros. I used to struggle a lot with not starting a project because I hadn't yet worked out the easiest/most efficient process. The Essential Craftsman youtube channel has been such a great resource for me, and his take on productivity and not overvaluing working smarter (instead of harder) is one I hadn't heard before.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's not a bad video, but I often find myself not working on home projects because I have no fucking clue where to even start. He calls that ramp simple and I don't even have most of the tools he used.

This is a kind of a criticism, but that bit at the end about working as hard as you can until the sun goes down. Feels a bit like poor work-life balance, or someone who only know how to work. Maybe I misinterpreted it.

• 1Like

lurker

Vyemm Raider
It's not a bad video, but I often find myself not working on home projects because I have no fucking clue where to even start. He calls that ramp simple and I don't even have most of the tools he used.

This is a kind of a criticism, but that bit at the end about working as hard as you can until the sun goes down. Feels a bit like poor work-life balance, or someone who only know how to work. Maybe I misinterpreted it.

You start by watching other people do stuff, like this video. Or you observe how something was done and repeat it. You ask questions. Will your first ramp be as nice as his? Probably not, but your second one will be damn close.

As far as tools are concerned, you could built that ramp with a shovel, ruler, hammer, level, hand saw, screwdriver, pencil and a ball of string. It would take you ten times as long, but it would look and function the same. I look at projects like these as an excuse to buy a new tool I don't own. I have a huge tool collection, but it's never enough.

You need to enjoy doing stuff like that. That's what he meant by working hard until the sun goes down. If you think that means he has a "poor work-life balance" then I would say you've never had a job you truly enjoy.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You start by watching other people do stuff, like this video. Or you observe how something was done and repeat it. You ask questions. Will your first ramp be as nice as his? Probably not, but your second one will be damn close.

As far as tools are concerned, you could built that ramp with a shovel, ruler, hammer, level, hand saw, screwdriver, pencil and a ball of string. It would take you ten times as long, but it would look and function the same. I look at projects like these as an excuse to buy a new tool I don't own. I have a huge tool collection, but it's never enough.

You need to enjoy doing stuff like that. That's what he meant by working hard until the sun goes down. If you think that means he has a "poor work-life balance" then I would say you've never had a job you truly enjoy.
I would say 99% of people have never had jobs they truly enjoy. But that aside, how does that help? Most people are never going to find these types of projects enjoyable, but that doesn't change that they need to be done.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
I would say 99% of people have never had jobs they truly enjoy. But that aside, how does that help? Most people are never going to find these types of projects enjoyable, but that doesn't change that they need to be done.
I guess it’s a mindset. I enjoy learning how to do stuff like that. Many times I finish a job and say I’ll never do that again but I know I could and that gives me satisfaction.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I guess I'm a 1%er after all. Yay?

I guess it’s a mindset. I enjoy learning how to do stuff like that. Many times I finish a job and say I’ll never do that again but I know I could and that gives me satisfaction.
I agree. I also enjoy learning how to do projects. Between my home and my business I've learned so many (very basic LOL) tradeskills and have enjoyed almost all of it. I just finished putting capstones on my retaining wall and will be building a patio at the bottom of my deck.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I guess I'm a 1%er after all. Yay?

I agree. I also enjoy learning how to do projects. Between my home and my business I've learned so many (very basic LOL) tradeskills and have enjoyed almost all of it. I just finished putting capstones on my retaining wall and will be building a patio at the bottom of my deck.
I didn't mean it as a criticism. More that it's rare enough to not be useful to most people.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I didn't mean it as a criticism. More that it's rare enough to not be useful to most people.
As you pointed out in your original reply, it's a matter of interpretation. What I took away from his message was to stop overvaluing working "smarter." That resonated with me because I've put off doing (or finishing) many, MANY projects for a long time because I didn't want to work hard if I didn't have to. I've finished many projects and had the realization that, in spite of my efforts to make it easier, it was still hard work. If I had just started working on the project when I'd initially planned to, I'd have been done with it much sooner and with less embarrassment and grief from Mrs. Dandai.

More often than not, the time I spent on youtube and google looking up easier ways to do something far outweighed the time saved. That being said, you absolutely want to know how to build something safely and make sure you have the right tools. I'm not advocating anyone just wings it if they're building a load bearing structure or something that could collapse and hurt somebody. And of course there's nothing wrong with looking for easier ways to do something you're stuck on or struggling with after you've already started a project. All I'm saying is, if you find yourself stuck in a loop of avoiding working on something because it's gonna suck, just accept that it's gonna suck, but that it will suck less and less as you continue to do it and get proficient at it. :)

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Ok, if you don't mind, let's run through an example project that I've been putting off and some of the reasons(valid or not) for doing so.

I have ranch-style house with small set of wood stairs leading out and up from the back of a converted garage. The wood for the stairs is likely fine and with a good power washer and treating, can be salvaged. But I'm just guessing there. The cinder blocks lining the depression are falling apart. There's gravel on the floor that I suspect empties to the house's footer drain.

I'm an engineer, so time to overthink this:

• Should I rebuild the retaining wall the same way?
    • I don't know how to mortar. Seems simple enough, but I'm always suspicious of gotchas in unknowns.
  • I don't get a lot of continuous time to work on these type of projects, so does removing the wall and then a bunch of rain mean I got a muddy pit?
  • I need to remove the stairs to get at the cinder blocks behind it. Does that I'll have to rebuild them anyway because the removal process will destroy them?
  • What sort of precautions should I take where the cinder blocks meet the house?
I mean, that's the first 5 minutes off the top of my head, I'm sure I'll stumble upon more even as I get started. I already know it's going to suck. I guess it's the feeling of being underqualified to actually do this that makes me put off doing it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'm no more professionally qualified than you, but I do enjoy home improvement as a hobby and happen to know a bit about what you're asking. I've built a retaining wall the runs the length of my house and built a free standing deck with stairs at work.

1. Don't remove the wall unless you want a muddy pit. You might be able to throw some landscape fabric/mesh on the soil to keep it from washing away, but if the slope is extreme, I'd say wait until you know it's not gonna rain and you have a dedicated time to do it.​
2. Lumber is relatively cheap. I wouldn't reuse existing lumber for many reasons, and the fact that it's cheap makes it that much easier to just replace instead of reusing it. Hardware stores have pre-cut stair patterned wood for less than $10 per run. You probably only need 2 of them for your stairs.​
3. How tall is the retaining wall? If it's under 48", you just need to build it smartly. If it's over 48", you might consider hiring someone to do it, but you CAN do it yourself - it's just more involved. I can offer more specific advice once you've confirmed the height.​
4. There are plenty of retaining wall materials that don't require mortar. In fact, I'm not sure that you'd want to use mortar because you actually want water to drain through the wall (as opposed to building up hydrostatic pressure behind the wall).​
5. You can likely remove the stairs without destroying them. They're probably bolted on to your house/patio. You simply apply some WD40 on the nut holding the bolt and twist it off. You'll want to get a new set of nuts and bolts when you reattach the stairs. Reusing fasteners is typically a bad idea (and they're relatively cheap). Just take the old ones with you when you go to the hardware store to make sure you get the same size replacements.​
6. Are the cinder blocks attached to the house? They're very brittle so you can easily hammer/chisel them away, but if they're load bearing you'll obviously want to get a jack to carry the load of whatever they're supporting before you do anything to further compromise them.​

As for your concern of being underqualified, as far as I can tell this is a pretty straightforward project, though it does have quite a few parts. Those parts can probably be separated into smaller tasks that can be done independently so you can start and finish one within your constrained schedule.

Pictures would go a long way to providing more specific advice.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I wish I found home improvement projects as gratifying as most of you guys who post in this thread. I understand what the guy is trying to say about it in that video because I do find other things I work on gratifying in that way but I don't have any will or desire to learn or tackle these kinds of projects simply because when it's all said and done I think "Christ that was annoying" rather than feeling any sense of personal accomplishment.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Dunno what to tell you Khanebro. For me, the ultimate satisfaction comes from the final result looking great. If it looks mediocre or half assed I feel the same "that was annoying" and no sense of accomplishment that you do.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Update, close to being done, I think I need to buy one more tile, lol, so far I calculated a box of waste
PHOTO_20180526_124150.jpg

Right now my issues are the steps, as you see, hanging the side tiles, i make the thinset extra thick and "sticky"??? i still gotta use support, what do i do about the bottom step that has a chasm?

any ideas?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pack it with some type of material and put some caulk over it? Are you going to be putting tiles on the landing too?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pack it with some type of material and put some caulk over it? Are you going to be putting tiles on the landing too?

the landing is the walk way? no, i'm stopping at the chasm.

yea i was gonna do that, i have foam left over from doing that for my driveway, but i meant, how do i keep the bottom tiles from dropping down since i won't have a "bottom" to put spacers under?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So fill the chasm with mortar or cement and grout to fill any space between the new cement on the last tile

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
You're going to regret not putting a stainless steel edge on them stairs one day.

Just saying, because I regret not doing them in the first bathroom we did.

Also, laying tile like that with spaces left out must have been a royal bitch to later fill with the glue stuff. Way I know it is to just put it on in large spots and lay tile but whatever works for you. Looking good so far.

RE vertical tiles not dropping down - it must be magic. Never got how that can remotely work but people who know what they're doing get it to work.