Home Improvement

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I love killing rodents. I actually just bought a bunch of mouse traps today to get revenge on the little bastard that shit in my silverware drawer.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Built this bar over the weekend out rescued lumber from tearing down an old shed in my back yard.

View attachment 165662

I'm picking up this Douglas Fir live edge tomorrow from a friend for the bar top.

View attachment 165663

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to true the less bumpy edge and join them with biscuits or do an epoxy river pour join.

Hopefully I can get the epoxy for a decent price around here, I think that's the best option.

Either way, Ill post results in a few days.
They just posted a video of exactly what you’re looking to do a couple days ago:

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Finally decided to man up and drill a hole for my RO faucet. I was waiting a while to buy a new fridge w/ water/ice dispenser but after a few months we decided the fridge works fine (actually re-leveled it to close automatically, found out my wife doesn't close the fridge well enough after i came home to spoiled milk), and a water/ice dispenser would just take up interior space. Just gonna leave the RO unit in, when we sell the place. Had to use a rubber mallet to whack the faucet through the slab, the drill bits (diamond) i bought came in different sizes, but one was a mm too big and one was a mm too small. So i just used the smaller one and whacked it in for a tighter fit.

Does anyone even see a RO unit as a selling point in houses?

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Does anyone even see a RO unit as a selling point in houses?

If I had one, I surely would use it as a plus when showing my house and I think most folks would be receptive. As a buyer, and I'm speaking for myself, YMMV, I consider them a negative and here's why. 1)The filters are expensive and proprietary. 2) They consume a lot of water and in some locales, water is expensive.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If I had one, I surely would use it as a plus when showing my house and I think most folks would be receptive. As a buyer, and I'm speaking for my self, YMMV, I consider them a negative and here's why. 1)The filters are expensive and proprietary. 2) They consume a lot of water and in some locals, water is expensive.
I guess i'll just call my RO unit an energy efficient/water saving model, i have a non electrical(no added costs) recirculating pump that reuses the waste/brine.

you do have a point, i only had my RO unit a month after i moved in, and installed the pump a few days later, overall it's a 20$ savings from the first month.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vinen

God is dead
Garage is getting torn down to the cinderblocks starting today. Wish Id taken a before picture...

50g = gut down to cinderblocks and rebuild of all wooden portions.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Pre cutting the tiles for patterns, there is a ton of waste
PHOTO_20180516_062308.jpg

From 12x12s, making 8x12,8x8,8x4,4x4

I was gonna go with a gray slate, but my whole house is grey, so too much grey, went with this sand color

I think i'm gonna have to buy an angle grinder for this whole slap, especially the stairs, any advice?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Makita and Metabo are the main brands for angle grinders, although I think Dewalt has some good ones as well. If you're not likely to use it regularly though, the Harbor Freight special will probably do the job. You will go through a shitload of wheels cutting tile so if you get a 5" or 6" one you won't have to change them as often and you can reach into tight spaces and cut thicker stuff with it, not that you will probably need to on a tile job. They are a handy tool to have though, because they can cut literally anything including hardened steel. I have a cordless makita that is so handy when I need to cut metal and I'm not near an electrical outlet. I hope I never use a hacksaw again.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I dont use them a ton, but I got the harbor Freight and it does the job for the shit I use it for 1-2 times a year, its perfect.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
yea i'll do the harbor freight, i saw this on amazon OCR 4" Concrete Turbo Diamond Grinding Cup Wheel Three Row Turbo Cup Disc Grinder for Angle Grinder 12 Segs Heavy Duty (Yellow 12segs B)

sounds like exactly what i need, everyone seems to use it to buff/grind down uneven concrete surfaces, i was trying to square my step and making an outline, holy heck, some spots are as uneven as 6mm.

btw i bought a tile saw at menards, it was 25bucks and on rebate too, it does great, it makes nice cuts and everything is square (i check). I'm guessing no one likes it (there were 3 on clearance) cuz it's made out of plastic and the wheel is 4in, but i can make a full cut in a tile in 20 seconds

actually here it is on amazon QEP 22400Q 3/5 HP Torque Master Tile Saw, 4-Inch

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Pre cutting the tiles for patterns, there is a ton of waste

From 12x12s, making 8x12,8x8,8x4,4x4

I was gonna go with a gray slate, but my whole house is grey, so too much grey, went with this sand color

I think i'm gonna have to buy an angle grinder for this whole slap, especially the stairs, any advice?

Why didn't you buy a stone that was already cut into a pattern? There are tons that come in a Versailles or Lyon or whatever 3 or 4 piece pattern.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
After a shit ton of research and talking to a few people, I decided to go with EcoPoxy Liquid Plastic 2:1. Lots of good feedback and reviews. plus it can be applied in a single pour up to 4 inches. I'm still filling in the voids and cracks in the live edge with black pigmented epoxy resin, but I should be pouring the river by next week hopefully.

Vinen

God is dead
Demolition of Garage is almost complete. Excited to soon have my workspace. (Will be the left side of the garage as getting a car in and out of that spot is a pain in the ass). All thats left is for them to take down the front. The cinderblock is getting power-washed, re-pointed and sealed.

Garage.jpg

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Demolition of Garage is almost complete. Excited to soon have my workspace. (Will be the left side of the garage as getting a car in and out of that spot is a pain in the ass). All thats left is for them to take down the front. The cinderblock is getting power-washed, re-pointed and sealed.

View attachment 166575
the front? you mean it's gonna be converted from a two door to a big door?

Vinen

God is dead
the front? you mean it's gonna be converted from a two door to a big door?

Naah. We are keeping it as two doors. Wood is just rotting and in generally poor shape.
I'm probably going to finish the left half of the garage in a few years. Its too tight to really use unless my wife gets a Smart Car or something equally dumb.

Its 20/20 so there is a considerable amount of space.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I hate garages that just barely have room for the cars and nothing else. My grandparents old house that we rent out now is like that. If you pull anything bigger than a basic sedan into it you have about an inch of slack between taking off your mirror on one side and not being able to open the door on the other.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
PHOTO_20180518_082830.jpg

All the bumpy high spots I gotta take care of

The porch isn't square with the sides, so I'm squaring it up with the steps

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
For one, are those spots really more than a 1/4in off? If you use a 3/8 in notched trowel and your mix is the right consistency, those high spots should not be a problem since you have 3/8 in to work with. Im sure they even have 1/2 notched trowels for jobs like this.

Second why are you going through the trouble of cutting all those tiles with a wet saw if you can just use a score and snap tool which is like 200% quicker and 1000% less mess. You use the wet saw for shit like corners and intricate cuts, but all those straight cuts? Fuck man, youre just wasting your time.

tile cut.PNG

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Just looked it up, they even have 1/2 in trowels, lol. There is no way that you need to flatten that concrete, this is why the make notched trowels this size for. Well part of the reason.

Last edited: